• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Unfortunately this type of thing goes deeper into our society than stolen valor. Many resumes include embellishments and lies. Lying pays off and that is why it is so common today. The internet has made it easy to put on a false persona or spread lies and heart-string pulling fake stories. Most folks are too lazy to check the validity of any of this and others don't care about the truth.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know the details to which he refers in regards to these three in particular, so I won't speak to their veracity. But the message of the article is spot on. I appreciated his thoughts on the military. You can get good training and good experience, but not everyone has the same experience. Not everyone got to go to the particular school that gives you expertise. We want to think everyone who served is some kind of high speed Ranger and can teach everyone how to conduct a ballistic breach and do a hostage rescue. And just because you've done it doesn't mean you're a good teacher either. The military has a good training program for mechanics. The military has some really fine mechanics. Being a mechanic in the military doesn't qualify someone to fix your Prius. They might suck. I've been an Infantryman in the Army National Guard for 7 years now. I've had some good training, trained a few good soldiers. But my resume wouldn't most likely impress you. I can tell you one thing though. I've met some Infantrymen who shouldn't be training anyone to shoot. Evaluate the individual, but don't let yourself get too impressed by everything they say about themselves, especially if they've got a financial reason to impress you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Military service is a huge commitment. Its years of your life where you have very limited control of your own destiny, the ever present risk of death or serious injury even in peacetime depending on your MOS. Just like you can't have rights without having responsibilities, you can't have the honor that comes with service without the sacrifice it took to earn it. Someone willing to take the shortcut of simply lying to "earn" that prestige isn't someone I want to associate with, period. I've never sorted my friends as "veteran/non-veteran" but I've certainly refused to associate with people of low integrity.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    ..and there is a reason why we don't wish to talk about it - which folks who did not serve will never understand.
    Thank you, and everyone reading this for your service.
    I had no idea about Cory and Erika, though I only probably watched one of her video, and honestly I was more interested in her assets... :)

I had a roommate a few years ago who I didnt know very well before I moved in, but hey, gotta live somewhere right? His brother and cousin were both Marines, and and I'll say legit badasses at that. My roommate however, not in the service, sported a crew cut and a Marines T-shirt on more than one occasion. Granted he didnt claim he was in the service, he did everything to lead you to believe he was. I harassed him on more than one occasion and got him to knock it off. Its freaking stupid and embarassing. I realize that wasnt the point really of this post, but it makes me wonder how often people pull that crap.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thank you, and everyone reading this for your service.
    I had no idea about Cory and Erika, though I only probably watched one of her video, and honestly I was more interested in her assets... :)

I had a roommate a few years ago who I didnt know very well before I moved in, but hey, gotta live somewhere right? His brother and cousin were both Marines, and and I'll say legit badasses at that. My roommate however, not in the service, sported a crew cut and a Marines T-shirt on more than one occasion. Granted he didnt claim he was in the service, he did everything to lead you to believe he was. I harassed him on more than one occasion and got him to knock it off. Its freaking stupid and embarassing. I realize that wasnt the point really of this post, but it makes me wonder how often people pull that crap.
    I don't have a problem with fathers, mothers, sisters and brothers who sport military logo attire. Most of them, when questioned, readily answer that my son, daughter, brother or sister is serving and they are proud.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Totally agree, I just think his motives were a bit askew. I think if there was a couple couple good looking girls in a bar, and no one to keep him in check, he would have been to Iraq a few times..

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    A couple names on the "Black Wall" memorial are friends, long gone but still remembered. Not supporting any scumbag's 'stolen valor'. It's despicable, and deserving of jail time so they can 'think about those who earned it'. Five years would be about right.

Too many worked too hard, and some gave everything to earn it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A lot of people will disagree with me about this, but I support their first amendment right to lie. Just don't act surprised or call it bullying when I use my first amendment right to tell them and everyone else what I think about it. I continue to serve, and one thing that makes me proud to do so, more than any other, is the bill of rights. I swore to defend it, and the rest of the constitution, and I'll die keeping that promise if I have to. Far be it from me, having sworn such an oath, to then oppose the exercise of one's rights enumerated in those documents.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A lot of people will disagree with me about this, but I support their first amendment right to lie. Just don't act surprised or call it bullying when I use my first amendment right to tell them and everyone else what I think about it. I continue to serve, and one thing that makes me proud to do so, more than any other, is the bill of rights. I swore to defend it, and the rest of the constitution, and I'll die keeping that promise if I have to. Far be it from me, having sworn such an oath, to then oppose the exercise of one's rights enumerated in those documents.

Lying is one thing. Committing fraud is illegal, and something else all together.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Lying is one thing. Committing fraud is illegal, and something else all together.

Yes, but I'm not one to believe there's been a crime if you can't find a victim. To commit fraud, someone must be defrauded. Besides, SCOTUS overturned the Stolen Valor Act, saying it was a breach of first amendment protected speech, and in this case, I have to agree. If you paid them for training based upon a resume that was falsified, there might be a lawsuit there somewhere. If you respected them because of what they said about themselves, then maybe you should be more discerning. There's nothing stopping you from exposing the truth.

Top Bottom