Weapon Camera's - anyone make a good one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Since some media circuses as of late, it struck me that criminals many times travel in packs and also lie. That said, I would love to have a miniature camera on a weapon that would record the audio and video and be able to be turned on instantly like the crimson trace laser. Body cams are available now, but I really don't want to go to that extreme, and most self defense situations you don't have much time to do anything but react. It would have to be integrated into the carry gun, and almost automatically start recording when weapon was drawn. I have seen many very tiny camera's as of late, I'm sure they could make it if there was a market. Dashcams are getting very popular now due to the prices dropping and the fact that many are wanting a witness of their own of what happened in case the other vehicle full of illegals are remembering incorrectly. Why does someone not add that to a weapon light or even do like laser max and put one inside the guide rod. Could be the difference between life in prison, and a dismissal at the arraignment.

What concerns me is when 3 of the attackers buddies show up in court after taking a bath and putting on a suite testifying that they were on their way to church and the guy shot was an aspiring rapper who was turning his life around gives me concern that the real victim is many times victimized again if not by a bad trial, but by the media storm that follows. After watching the aftermath of Ferguson, and seeing how many of the "witnesses" were either not there, repeating an account of hearsay as if they were there, makes me really want to have some kind of evidence to back up the fact that it actually was a good shoot.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^ ding ding ding... Not really a good solution here if it weapons mounted IMO

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Problem is that you would still miss everything leading up to the draw. I don't know if recording your sight picture would help or hurt you.

Good point, that's why LEO's are going with body cameras instead. You could always get Google Glass..... :)

OTOH I am curious about weapon cameras. It seems to me as though it would be a good training tool if nothing else. It sounds as though Contour Roam has a rail mount. A little pricey though....175 for mount + camera. http://www.amazon.com/Contour-3900-Picatinny-Mount/dp/B004L64758

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Problem is that you would still miss everything leading up to the draw. I don't know if recording your sight picture would help or hurt you.
    It depends on when you draw. If the person is beating on you, making statements that can be used to verify they were not the innocent guy they try to represent in court. Showing pictures of them 10 years ago in middle school in a pleasant environment. You will know you are recording, they will not know it and may say or do something that will benefit you in court. Several recent cases would have not caused riots if they simply had some footage, even a half second of the guy running at him with his hands NOT up. Another option may be have a button mounted on the bottom that starts the recording early so if a situation looks like it is going to escalate you have something. The guy pumping gas claimed the other vehicle was making racial slurs, shouting they ought to kill the honkey, etc. Although that case was a bit out there, audio or video evidence could very well be the difference in a dismissal at the arraignment, and a life prison sentence. Also might save a town from burning, but that is not my top priority. I know I am a good person, and if it is recording it can be a powerful legal tool to save your behind, especially if you are alone and there are 4 thugs / witnesses who are going to swear it happened different than it really happened. If all you get is "the kill shot", then it likely will not hurt you other than a graphic video the jury can get all emotional about, we already know the guy is dead if it gets to that point. Point is if it is available, it is your tool and you would be able to decide if the particular situation would be a good idea to record. I would like the option myself. Of course home defense is a different story because once they break in, you are usually considered the victim unless something proves otherwise. A regular street encounter, all parties are expected to be there, and one of them is now dead of you are in court over it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom