• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    I went to our range this afternoon to use Pistol Range #2. My first 10 minutes were used to clean up garbage left by some "user" that felt zero responsibility or privilege to use this great facility. PLEASE pick up you trash and spent cases before leaving the club. Let's all do our part to maintain this great facility and leave it hopefully the way you found it.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I went to our range this afternoon to use Pistol Range #2. My first 10 minutes were used to clean up garbage left by some "user" that felt zero responsibility or privilege to use this great facility. PLEASE pick up you trash and spent cases before leaving the club. Let's all do our part to maintain this great facility and leave it hopefully the way you found it.

Thanks for the word 02roadster...it does indeed p**s off the rest of us when a user of our facility is in fact an "abuser"...done the same thing as you more times than I wish. I think it's part of the Boy Scout's mantra to leave a place cleaner than you found it!!!

Roger for the Board

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Thought you said it was too cold :ar15::)::rockwoot::popcorn:

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Thanks for the word 02roadster...it does indeed p**s off the rest of us when a user of our facility is in fact an "abuser"...done the same thing as you more times than I wish. I think it's part of the Boy Scout's mantra to leave a place cleaner than you found it!!!

Roger for the Board

Always amazes me how some folks don't seem to care who will bow down to pick up their GARBAGE. Must be an in-borne trait attributed to the life of a family of pigs. I would love to catch these idiots, eject them, and allow folks worthy of a membership to join our club. :dunno:

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Find out who it is and cancel their membership. There are plenty of good responsible shooters who would like to join.

Agree jd, I would love to make that happen. Members in good standing need to be aware of those that abuse the club, call them out, and report this type of irresponsibility to the board.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    It was better when a current member had to vouch for a new member leaving both of your butts on the line.Now its who ever has the most money.Resposibility is gone and the riff raff is in.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It was better when a current member had to vouch for a new member leaving both of your butts on the line.Now its who ever has the most money.Resposibility is gone and the riff raff is in.

Not true, at least in its entirety; There were several people who stayed out all night at the gate to have an opportunity to join the club. And having met some of the riff raff that "has the most money", I'll vouch for their worthiness as members of "our" club.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure if I will ever get in but I agree with some kind of screening process. Before I moved south, I was going to join Wildcat. A prospective member has to jump through a few hoops and have a sponsor, stand before the board and a few other things. it may not guarantee riff raff from getting in, but it made me more comfortable that they checked prospective members out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Regarding picking up brass, particularly on the 300 meter range, I do have a question. A couple of weeks ago I was there with a buddy, and a third shooter was setting up. When it came time for him to go down and set his targets, we of course unloaded and placed our rifles on the rack. I had had some brass eject in front of the firing line, so I proceeded to pick it up. By the time I finished, I noticed that he was waiting on me to come down and wait outside the range area. At other ranges (Atterbury for example), when the line goes cold, that is the time to set/change targets and police up your brass, but apparently this is not the case (at least at the 300 meter range). So, my question is, if we are to be completely outside the range area when the range goes cold, when is the proper time to police up brass? Just would like to have some clarification on this since I do want to adhere to proper rules/etiquette.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Regarding picking up brass, particularly on the 300 meter range, I do have a question. A couple of weeks ago I was there with a buddy, and a third shooter was setting up. When it came time for him to go down and set his targets, we of course unloaded and placed our rifles on the rack. I had had some brass eject in front of the firing line, so I proceeded to pick it up. By the time I finished, I noticed that he was waiting on me to come down and wait outside the range area. At other ranges (Atterbury for example), when the line goes cold, that is the time to set/change targets and police up your brass, but apparently this is not the case (at least at the 300 meter range). So, my question is, if we are to be completely outside the range area when the range goes cold, when is the proper time to police up brass? Just would like to have some clarification on this since I do want to adhere to proper rules/etiquette.

The way the range is set up everyone has to leave the covered firing area before anyone can go down range, There is not a great way to handle brass forward of the line without some very express communication from the people shooting.

In this case you were "kinda" technically wrong you should have not been in front of the firing line while the gate was in the Firing (hot) positions, Technically you should have come down closed the gate walked back up the hill got your brass and then walked down the hill and waited in the holding area With your brass in hand and when he came back and closed the gate go back to your firing position You technically should not even reach up and place your brass on the shooting bench with the gate in the "safe" position. I't s a good system but has that small hole in it.

Also if you have to leave and a group of guys is holding up the range from going cold, you could be that bad guy had have to leave your brass or some trash that blew out of the firing range. Without a paid Range officer to hang around and settle these little disputes we will have to do the best we can

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Find out who it is and cancel their membership. There are plenty of good responsible shooters who would like to join.
    +1, I know a range that had issues like this. People abuse privileges and rules are implemented to prevent that (or at least find out who the abuser is).

The rule that was implemented to identify the abusers was simple; implement a policy that you MUST sign in with time-in & time-out in order to use the range. This would allow the owner to narrow down the list of suspects based upon the time the trash was left and the names in the book.

Well that doesn't prevent a dishonest person from lying on the book or just not signing it at all. Solution: you get caught at the range with falsified or incomplete sign-in information in the book and you are done shooting for the day. Do it again and you are no longer welcome on the property.

That being said: I've been guilty of leaving a mess before. I had taken my wife and she likes to shoot water bottles (permitted at the range but must clean up mess). We completed our shooting, packed up our things, talked a little bit with some other patrons and completely forgot to pick up the water bottle mess. A very prompt phone-call to the range owner with a deep apology and promise to do 2-3 times the range clean-up next time I visited was a much appreciated gesture by the range owner and all was well... I did do my fair share of clean-up and more the next time I visited.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    +1, I know a range that had issues like this. People abuse privileges and rules are implemented to prevent that (or at least find out who the abuser is).

The rule that was implemented to identify the abusers was simple; implement a policy that you MUST sign in with time-in & time-out in order to use the range. This would allow the owner to narrow down the list of suspects based upon the time the trash was left and the names in the book.

Well that doesn't prevent a dishonest person from lying on the book or just not signing it at all. Solution: you get caught at the range with falsified or incomplete sign-in information in the book and you are done shooting for the day. Do it again and you are no longer welcome on the property.

That being said: I've been guilty of leaving a mess before. I had taken my wife and she likes to shoot water bottles (permitted at the range but must clean up mess). We completed our shooting, packed up our things, talked a little bit with some other patrons and completely forgot to pick up the water bottle mess. A very prompt phone-call to the range owner with a deep apology and promise to do 2-3 times the range clean-up next time I visited was a much appreciated gesture by the range owner and all was well... I did do my fair share of clean-up and more the next time I visited.

If anyone sees another member leaving trash on the range...politely ask them to clean up after themselves vs. leave it for others to do. If there is any resistance/name calling...back off, use cell phone to take a photo of that person's license plate if you can safely and surely do so. Send that photo as well as time of day and description of the offense to our club email address. We can track license plates to members. We as a board will then address it with that member.

As for sign in/sign out log books...a waste of time in my opinion for an unmanned facility like ours. I once belonged to another club with such a system and it was frequently ignored or signed in and never signed out accidentally or on purpose.

Our board DOES deal with abusers...be it behavior or rules violations. 10 years ago we had a significant trash abuse problem...much less so now with 4X the member numbers...yet it does occur on occasion. The threat of membership loss is a powerful deterrent when we have some info to run on.

Roger for the Board

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The way the range is set up everyone has to leave the covered firing area before anyone can go down range, There is not a great way to handle brass forward of the line without some very express communication from the people shooting.

In this case you were "kinda" technically wrong you should have not been in front of the firing line while the gate was in the Firing (hot) positions, Technically you should have come down closed the gate walked back up the hill got your brass and then walked down the hill and waited in the holding area With your brass in hand and when he came back and closed the gate go back to your firing position You technically should not even reach up and place your brass on the shooting bench with the gate in the "safe" position. I't s a good system but has that small hole in it.

Also if you have to leave and a group of guys is holding up the range from going cold, you could be that bad guy had have to leave your brass or some trash that blew out of the firing range. Without a paid Range officer to hang around and settle these little disputes we will have to do the best we can

This is a question I don't think has come up before. Best answer is probably that given by "10X" above. Key being communication amongst shooters...if that can't be accomplished, leave/lose the brass forward of the shooting line. Another option is one of those brass catching net devices that straps on a rifle...nuisance, but they do work and save scrounging for brass.

Roger for the Board

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

The gate was in the "safe" position at that time, because he had opened it so he could drive down and set his targets, but this makes sense.

This is a question I don't think has come up before. Best answer is probably that given by "10X" above. Key being communication amongst shooters...if that can't be accomplished, leave/lose the brass forward of the shooting line. Another option is one of those brass catching net devices that straps on a rifle...nuisance, but they do work and save scrounging for brass.

Roger for the Board

Thanks for weighing in Roger. I figured it would all boil down to communication. I just really was trying to avoid being "that guy" that leaves his brass laying around, but I also want to do the right thing from a safety standpoint. On the shorter ranges (pistol bays, etc.) it's pretty easy to know what's going on, but someone 300 yards down range looking back and seeing someone on the line might indeed have reason to be concerned for their safety, so I can certainly see the point.

Thanks guys! :yesway:

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've spent quite a bit of time picking up 7.62x39 steel cases on the 100 yd. range. One day I managed a quarter of a bucket before my back gave out. Seems that some folks won't pick up cases that can't be reloaded - steel, .22LR, etc.

Don't think there's an easy solution, other than catching the person(s) in the act. For those of you with kids, if they misbehave, drive them to the club and have them pick up 100 (or whatever) cases for misbehaving!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've spent quite a bit of time picking up 7.62x39 steel cases on the 100 yd. range. One day I managed a quarter of a bucket before my back gave out. Seems that some folks won't pick up cases that can't be reloaded - steel, .22LR, etc.

Don't think there's an easy solution, other than catching the person(s) in the act. For those of you with kids, if they misbehave, drive them to the club and have them pick up 100 (or whatever) cases for misbehaving!

Oddly enough, the brass I was talking about picking up in my previous post was non-reloadable! :):

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would like to catch the person(s) shooting the plastic barrels. I love them to set gear on while on the range and I've seen another patron use them for barricade practice. Now, most are shot up with bird/buckshot and various other calibers. Same goes for the target stand bases, I can't believe adults have such a difficult time respecting club gear.

Top Bottom