• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Our second son will be turning 7 in May. We our first son turned 7, we bought him a Rossi combo (.22 lr, 410). He loves it and now it is time to look for a gun for the next one...I was thinking that it would nice to do something different for #2 - maybe an AR platform .22? I'd like to stay under $300 if at all possible...I suppose that puts the AR style out of the question? Any suggestions?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My first real gun was a 10/22 when I was 9. Great little gun, durable, easy to use, easy to find several models under $300, and I still have it

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I was talking about gifts between kids..
    I started my son with a Chipmunk... But back then kids rifles were hard to find.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First gun I bought my boy was a Thompson Center HotShot. He is turning 11 and has outgrown the .rifle. I picked up a Marlin 795 LTR for his birthday. I guess little sister will be getting the HotShot.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Henry leveraction 22lr - my buddy bought his son one for his first - the little guy loves it - and at $319 its pretty close to your price

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you want a single shot, a Savage Rascal:Savage Arms
    You don't have to manually cock it and you can open the bolt and unload it safely if you don't shoot.

Marlin also makes a good youth rifle; single shot or magazine fed: Marlin Model XT-22Y
    I confess, I like the peep sight on the Savage.

A Henry Youth rifle is another possibility: Lever Action .22 Youth Rifle | Henry Repeating Arms
    I believe you could replace the butt stock with a full size one when he grows.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Check out the Ruger American Rimfire. With the interchangeable stock modules the rifle can grow with him. Nice bolt action that can be had for under 300 and uses 10/22 magazines.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for a 10/22. It's a solid rifle that will last a lifetime (and be quite tweakable) .

1: Buy a youth model 10/22. As he grows, buy an aftermarket adult stock.
    2: buy a regular 10/22 carbine. Add a blackhawk axiom adjustable stock for now ($75) and keep the factory stock to grow into.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Excellent! This gives me some places to start...I have a 10/22 myself, so I am very familiar with that gun. My concern was that the boys still have a hard time getting their arms around the stock. I'll look into the adjustable stock option for that. Since we already have a 10/22, I'm inclined to go a different route for variety. Definitely some great ideas to take to the lgs. Thank you!

Top Bottom