• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was perusing some Daniel Defense DDM4s on WalletBreaker and saw one where seller was showcasing custom extras - including a claimed 3 lb pull trigger. I'm really new to ARs and don't shoot long distance (yet) but 3lbs seems like an exceedingly light trigger pull. I am asking distance shooters because I think that is probably the type of shooting that could most benefit from a very light trigger pull. So can y'all enlighten me - is this a case of customization gone wild or do serious distance shooter, of which there seem to be plenty on INGO, really run similar pulls. Would appreciate details/rationale either way.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    3 lbs isn't that uncommon. It's definitely a precision trigger though. You wouldn't want something that light in a duty/SD weapon. It's nothing excessive though. I haven't messed with anything below 3.5 lbs but I imagine someone in here will chime in with a trigger even lighter than that.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It really depends on application. A Geissele 2-stage trigger can run around 3.5 pounds upwards. A single stage trigger can run 3.5 pounds or so. Yes, that is quite a bit lighter than one might desire for a tactical trigger. It all depends on your intended application.

I've got Geissele SSA-E's on a hunting carbine, a G2S on a plinker, and a stoned milspec trigger on another SHTF AR. Overall, I really enjoy shooting the SSA-E, but I have had occasional FTF due to the light springs. Not a SHTF-type trigger for me, although other guys I know think they are ideal.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have a 2.5 pound trigger in my 24" bull barreled AR, but it is just a bench gun for the most part. The lightest trigger i have ever used was a 8 oz. trigger, in my old .50 BMG bolt gun, that is super light, but it was set up for 1000 yard shots. I run lighter triggers because that is my preference, not for everyone though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    They use full power hammer springs which are stronger than stock springs, so you may want to look elsewhere as to the cause of your problem.
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=444&t=254429

Could be. Lighter hammer, stronger spring. It wasn't a major issue. Very intermittent. Could have been dirt, deep primer, bad ammo (Ozark remf'd). It fired when reloaded into the AR. Looked like light fp hits. I don't have scientific data or pics.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have rifles with lighter triggers than that, but they are single shot bolt actions for sling tension prone position. I would not be comfortable with that light of a single stage trigger on an A4 semi automatic. I think you will see too many doubles or accidental discharges.

I really do not understand that kind of trigger on a sliding stock carbine, but it is a free country. A 20 to 24 inch barrel is usually for a mid range rifle, that is, 600 yards and less.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a few ARs with single stage 3.5 triggers in them.... I like them and they break nice. Even, if it wasn't a dedicated Long range AR, I would still recommend one, just have to be more cognizant, but (knock on wood), I have never put a round down without wanting to.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    For my SPR style AR I have a 2 stage trigger that breaks a bit under 4lbs so for precision work one breaking that low is not uncommon at all. For my Run-N-Gun carbine and other carbines I use either just a standard mil-spec trigger group or Spikes Battle Trigger is a decent upgrade over mil spec.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks all. Most of my rifle shooting lately has been pre-1923 mausers with stock triggers, usually standing rather than resting. I find a good bit of 'feedback' from the trigger somehow comforting. Might be developing bad habits though because one of the things I like is can get trigger positoning squared away by feel, then concentrate on final sight picture and squeeze off the round. That would be inadviseable with a quality trigger. I haven't scientifically measured any of the pulls but I would guess the pull on a good mauser to be about what a double action pull on an older (metal) da/sa handgun is. I know the pull on my 1911s is about the lightest of anything I have (but of course those be SA only)

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Could be. Lighter hammer, stronger spring. It wasn't a major issue. Very intermittent. Could have been dirt, deep primer, bad ammo (Ozark remf'd). It fired when reloaded into the AR. Looked like light fp hits. I don't have scientific data or pics.

I would double check the spring is installed correctly.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Overall, I really enjoy shooting the SSA-E, but I have had occasional FTF due to the light springs. Not a SHTF-type trigger for me, although other guys I know think they are ideal.

I have 6 lowers with SSA-E's in them and have never had a failure to fire. I'm with wsenefeld, I'd look elsewhere.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    As I said, looking back on it, I think it was the ammo. I'm sure the spring is installed properly. I've been familiar with this platform since 1969.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    You are right. Every ****ed up Geissele I've seen has had the spring not on the pins or the spring completely backwards. For some reason i thought the GI spring went in different.

Top Bottom