• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What's new with 3-D printed guns? Well, while you were out on the town being all tacticool and stuff, the guys in the garage down the street are still hard at work perfecting 3-D firearms.

A repeating 9mm AResque thing (the Shuty) being perfected, videos at link, photos of other 3-D efforts shown too, including the one I think shows great promise, The Songbird:

http://weaponsman.com/?p=23014

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's pretty cool. We are getting closer and closer to fully printed (and effective) printed guns that can be made by the general public at large with accessible 3D printers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There are much stronger industrial plastics sold by Stratasys. It's not cheap though. Some parts can obviously not be produced using plastics. So, there will never be a true 3D printed firearm. Unless in the future they can develop plastics with the same strength as steel.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Oh you won't need stronger plastics for long. The metal printers are coming!

You won't just be building up metal by printing / laser sintering but chipping it away in your home EDM "printer".

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'm currently doing an internship in a 3D printing business for the summer and the potential there is endless. We've "printed" in titanium. We've used Kevlar and carbon fiber filament as well. I'm going to be doing stress tests in the upcoming months to see the difference between hobby grade entry level stuff and the Kevlar/carbon fiber. I can't wait to print off some prototypes I've been tinkering with. Love hearing about advancements like this.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Oh you won't need stronger plastics for long. The metal printers are coming!

You won't just be building up metal by printing / laser sintering but chipping it away in your home EDM "printer".

EDM is not printing. As for metal printing, you need a kiln.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I suspect they will rewrite the law to call that manufacturing or will have the atf arbitrarily say u need an FFL to print a gun. Of course that will stop the bad guys.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Oh it will happen, I'm just worried about the gun industry- inspired legislation that will probably follow.

Valid concern. If I were Ruger, Colt, Remington, Savage, or any one of many others, I would be watching this closely and waiting for the right time to come out in opposition. We'd best be careful what we wish for!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    EDM is not printing. As for metal printing, you need a kiln.

EDM will be used to nip away small areas of metal. Like a "negative" printer. You don't need a kiln with powdered Ti and laser sintering.

If the big gun manufacturers are smart, they will sell the inner metal serialized frame as the FFL transferable part of the "gun" much like Sig does but also sell downloadable 3D printer plans to modify your own custom frame/stock. Buy interchangeable barrel kits, etc... They could sell an endless number of customized 3D printer plans.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    EDM will be used to nip away small areas of metal. Like a "negative" printer. You don't need a kiln with powdered Ti and laser sintering.

If the big gun manufacturers are smart, they will sell the inner metal serialized frame as the FFL transferable part of the "gun" much like Sig does but also sell downloadable 3D printer plans to modify your own custom frame/stock. Buy interchangeable barrel kits, etc... They could sell an endless number of customized 3D printer plans.

You might as well get a small CNN machine then, in my opinion. Laser sintering now, is not cost affective at all. As for any printer using powder metals. The the object is porous and brittle. You have to fire it in a kiln. I'm talking home use as well, not industrial.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Cost effectiveness isn't the point with 3D printing right now but it's making it more common. It's about making something yourself that the despot control freaks hate and want to ban out of existence. Be it guns, medical devices, tools or widgets it puts their plans of controlling us in jeopardy.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    As this technology matures imagine the upheaval in the shipping industry. Need a part, call the parts warehouse, pay for on internet stream to your printer and BAM you have a part.

Top Bottom