• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I did not see the verbage "sawed off" as being allowed when I read the law. Either the guy never read it and his assumptions are in error, or he did read it is not capable of understanding, OR has read it, understood it and and is knowingly being deceptive.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I kept waiting for the punchline, "...so SBS is bad because..." - nothing. Just its a powerful weapon. OK...so's every other defensive weapon I own. They all kill. SBS kills at close range without going through walls across the room. He even quotes the reasoning as if the reasoning - to align with federal law - is flawed. He doesn't say how it's flawed, just shrugs and mumbles.

Here's a hint, if you're going to attempt an argument, make a point somewhere along the way.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    4 out of 4 lawmen at the OK corral approve of the 'scatter gun'. 3 out of 5 outlaws silent on the matter. Doctor approved.

Thanks, Bug. I needed a good laugh, and this certainly brought it to fruition. Even the wife chuckled when I told her what I was laughing about, so you definitely nailed it with this one!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Am I mistaken, or does the new law only allow store bought shotguns with the shorter barrels, i.e. no do-it-yourself'ers?

I belive you can DIY, but you still have to file proper paperwork. Less paperwork for buying new factory parts as I recall. (I only stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last nite)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While a supporter of our 2nd Amendment, I questioned that anyone would seriously introduce legislation that would make it legal to own a sawed-off shotgun, and yet, there it was, Senate Bill 433, signed into law.

What difference does it make how long the shotgun barrel is? It is a piece of metal not plutonium.

Under this new law, a sawed-off shotgun is defined as "a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 19 inches in length."

No.

Have you ever witnessed the destructive power of one of these weapons?

Sure thing, and so?

So a shotgun barrel of 17" has "destructive power" but a shotgun barrel of 18.5" does not?

The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and was adopted Dec. 15, 1791.

What about Article I, §32?

This was viewed as a natural right of self-defense, and while it has been tested throughout the ages, it still remains as a constitutional right for all citizens of the U.S.

Tested? A few times it has been "tested" and in Miller the Defendant was not represented at the Supreme Court. Some frickin' test.

I guess what makes the idea of legally owning a sawed-off shotgun somewhat preposterous is that we tell fast-food chains what they can and cannot serve in order to protect customers from “fatty” foods, but yet a person can now drop into their favorite gun shop, buy a sawed-off shotgun, and no one will think twice about it?

Who is telling fast food chains what to sell? Is this a Hammond thing?

Seriously?

Are you not aware that the bill passed? Do I need to tell you again that it is law?

I guess you could use such a weapon to hunt pheasants and rabbits, provided you are first able to walk right up to them and shake their wing/paw, because that is how close you would have to be with a sawed-off shotgun to make it effective.

Says the man with absolutely no firearms experience.

Over the 4th of July weekend, nearly 50 people were shot in the Chicago area. I wonder if they all passed their background checks?

Chicago is in Illinois. Illinois, where one cannot own short shotguns.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    This is great. Full of fail, but I just want to highlight this:

Have you ever witnessed the destructive power of one of these weapons?

^^I assume at this point he is implying that a shotgun with a 17" barrel has significantly greater "destructive power" than a shotgun with an 18" barrel.

Then he completely contradicts himself just a couple short paragraphs later, because now, a "sawed-off shotgun" is ineffective against even small game animals, unless you're withing contact distance.

I guess you could use such a weapon to hunt pheasants and rabbits, provided you are first able to walk right up to them and shake their wing/paw, because that is how close you would have to be with a sawed-off shotgun to make it effective.

Fortunately, we can contact him:
    Dave Ryan is the executive director of the Lakeshore Chamber of Commerce. The opinions expressed are his own. He can be reached at dryan@lakeshorechamber.com or (219) 931-1000.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I cannot understand what the new law offers over the past laws. My 18.5 in BBl Shotgun will pattern well for defense, or hunting. A shorter length may be concealable under a trenchcoat, so does mine with a pistol grip only stock. So raise the law, still need a stamp for $200 for a inch and half difference? Sorry, not even an issue for me. Don't need that, already own a couple of weapons to do the "fight back to my longarm" scenario. The street will run red I guess, but my wallet will stay fixed in my pocket.
    More paperwork to own a shotgun? Please allow me the rights of 2nd Amendment, my choice.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I cannot understand what the new law offers over the past laws.
    It allows you to have an NFA SBS. It repeals certain state laws that violate the second amendment.
    My 18.5 in BBl Shotgun will pattern well for defense, or hunting.
    Great!
    A shorter length may be concealable under a trenchcoat, so does mine with a pistol grip only stock.
    Great!
    So raise the law, still need a stamp for $200 for a inch and half difference?
    No, before you couldn't get that "inch and a half difference" even with a $200 tax stamp in Indiana. Now you can cut off an inch and a half, 4, 6, or 12 inches.
    Sorry, not even an issue for me.
    Great.
    Don't need that, already own a couple of weapons to do the "fight back to my longarm" scenario. The street will run red I guess, but my wallet will stay fixed in my pocket.
    Good for you.
    More paperwork to own a shotgun?
    No, you don't have to do any additional paperwork to own your fancy 18.5 in BBl Shotgun.
    Please allow me the rights of 2nd Amendment, my choice.
    Yeah, so tell me again why you're complaining about this bill that removed state law that violated the 2nd Amendment?

Top Bottom