• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Make, model, S/N, caliber, barrel length. Record it. Store it off site. Free email works great, you can access it from anywhere.

I just heard a guy run a "Sig 9mm, I think the model is PARA" over the radio. Control advised a Sig Scorpion was reported stolen, they both assumed it wasn't the right gun. I had the guy call me, walked him through telling me the size, controls, and color, figured out he was holding a P938 that was probably a Scorpion, dug up the report, and it matched. Stolen gun recovered, but only due to me happening to hear the call and knowing that Sig doesn't make a PARA and that's just how they abbreviate parabellum on the barrel.

Not all cops are gun guys. Many of the ones that are don't know much beyond Glock. YOU need to know what you have and report it correctly, and the more detail the better.

BTW, if you had a Sig stolen while you were getting a massage, you'll probably be getting your gun back soon. You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Make, model, S/N, caliber, barrel length. Record it. Store it off site. Free email works great, you can access it from anywhere.

I just heard a guy run a "Sig 9mm, I think the model is PARA" over the radio. Control advised a Sig Scorpion was reported stolen, they both assumed it wasn't the right gun. I had the guy call me, walked him through telling me the size, controls, and color, figured out he was holding a P938 that was probably a Scorpion, dug up the report, and it matched. Stolen gun recovered, but only due to me happening to hear the call and knowing that Sig doesn't make a PARA and that's just how they abbreviate parabellum on the barrel.

Not all cops are guy guys. Many of the ones that are don't know much beyond Glock. YOU need to know what you have and report it correctly, and the more detail the better.

BTW, if you had a Sig stolen while you were getting a massage, you'll probably be getting your gun back soon. You're welcome.

I tried to rep you, but I am all OUT !!!!!

GOOD JOB !!!!!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

Not all cops are guy guys. Many of the ones that are don't know much beyond Glock. YOU need to know what you have and report it correctly, and the more detail the better.

So the massage DID have a happy ending after all.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Let Me add a little bit to this from experience. Not all manufacturers have and use unique serial numbers. Some of them duplicate and recycle numbers across model numbers. I bought a used Taurus PT92 many, many years ago from a dealer. I kept my receipt like a good boy. I had the gun for about 4 years and sold it to a close friend. He kept it for about 2 years then sold it to a cousin. The cousin was a questionable individual and sold it to someone who shouldn't have had it. That guy got picked up in Ohio for something with the gun. When they ran the gun it came back as stolen. They tried to pin the theft on him and of course he screamed to high heaven that he didn't do it.

Long story short, they followed the sales from person to person (the guy picked up with it was the only one who wasn't legal with it and everyone cooperated) all the way back to me. At this point I know nothing about what's happened, all I know is there is a sheriff knocking on my door. He asks me about the gun, if I ever owned it and where it came from. I told him that I did own it and I bought it from a dealer. He seems skeptical after hearing about the long line of sales for this gun. I go get the receipt and show it to him. He looks it over and makes a call. I make a copy of the receipt for him to take and he thanks me and is on his way. I went into the station later in the week to see what's become of the situation and find some things out.

The actual gun I purchased was a Taurus PT92 Stainless in 9mm. The gun that was reported stolen was a Taurus PT92 .380-58. The Taurus .380 is a model 58, not a 92. They showed me a copy of the information they had on the stolen gun. It clearly said the model number was a PT92 and in caliber it clearly said it was .380-58. The serial number on my gun matched the one that was stolen. I called Taurus to ask about this and they confirmed they recycle serial numbers across different models. To this day I don't know if the one in my hands was stolen or not.

Know what you have. Know what modifications have been done. Know where and when you got the gun and be able to prove it if needed. Keep pictures and details.

Not to get preachy, but this is also a cautionary tale of getting receipts and keeping them, like forever. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't still have that receipt. I always get a bill of sale or a receipt. Dealer or private sale. If I can't have one then there will be no sale at all.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I certainly HOPE not. "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I prefer photos stored offsite as well. Take pictures of your guns (including with the serial clearly visible) and store them in the cloud. (cue the tinfoil crowd)

I actually nearly had an instance where I needed it. Luckilly it was straightened out about 10 seconds before I could pull up the photographic proof on my phone, but still would have been awesome to have the complete list at arms length from anywhere.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I took detailed pics and recorded serial numbers for all my firearms early last year. About a month later my house was burglarized and thieves got away with four of them.

I was able to provide the detective and more importantly, the insurance company, with photos, model numbers, serial numbers within minutes.

None of the guns have been recovered, but it made dealing with the insurance company much easier and they were replaced.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I always record model, caliber, and serial number (when I can). I've got quite a few older guns that came from the factory without serial numbers.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

Not all cops are gun guys. Many of the ones that are don't know much beyond Glock. YOU need to know what you have and report it correctly, and the more detail the better.

There are apps for your Samsung/apple phones and tablets that allow you to store this info electronically and backup via email as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Last edited by lovemywoods; 8 Hours Ago at 23:04. Reason: Changed "guy guy" to "gun guys"."

WTF? I really wanted to chide BBI for that.

Now all I can do is thank him for his service.

Dammit.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a similar story to Angry Rooster. I bought a used revolver at a dealer, used it for several years and traded it in at a dealer. For reasons unknown to me, the new purchaser ran the serial number and it came up stolen. The dealer sent the police to me. Luckily I still had the receipt from when I bought it. Now they went back to the store I bought it from and it turned out the man who traded it is there was the brother of a man who reported it stolen.

I had shot competitions in multiple states with that hand gun. Can you imagine what would have happened if Illinois law enforcemnt ran the numbers during a traffic stop. I would still be in jail.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have two different detailed lists on my computer, that are backed up on a flash drive.
    It is a little bit of a pain when I buy, sell or trade one. I have an "active" list, which are the serial numbers, make, model etc. of current guns I own.
    Then I have a "master" list which details every gun I have ever owned.
    They are set up in spread sheet form. I even include my age at the time, it gives me a history of how many guns I buy in any given year.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've thought about removing the grip on pistols and stocks on rifles and shotguns and "engraving" my S.S.# using an electric vibrating "pen."

Anyone see see a downside to this ?

Top Bottom