Anatomy of a SWATting;how one agency does it right.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not often in Indy, we get a TON of incomplete 911 calls from "dead cells" with no way to call them back. We were getting "person shot" "person stabbed" kinds of runs to the same area from a 911 only cell phone, all bogus, a couple of years ago. After a hundred or so of those and many many months, detectives were finally able track it down and arrest the person doing them.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Not often in Indy, we get a TON of incomplete 911 calls from "dead cells" with no way to call them back. We were getting "person shot" "person stabbed" kinds of runs to the same area from a 911 only cell phone, all bogus, a couple of years ago. After a hundred or so of those and many many months, detectives were finally able track it down and arrest the person doing them.

Good, I hope that he got some time for that. Way too dangerous for all involved.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As Denny stated, it doesn't happen here. No one can dial 911 and receive a SWAT team response. Our patrol officers are dispatched and once they determine a SWAT response is appropriate they can make the call.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

As Denny stated, it doesn't happen here. No one can dial 911 and receive a SWAT team response. Our patrol officers are dispatched and once they determine a SWAT response is appropriate they can make the call.

You guys are no fun....

We get them every night. We usually set fire to the back of the house and see what comes out the front. Sometimes, we set fire to the front and back just because.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    SWAT or not, I'm going to be pretty mad if cops start rolling up at my place all amped up. I'll be thankful the cops are doing their jobs, and they'll be welcomed inside for coffee once it all gets straightened out, but I'm gonna want to kill the caller for putting my family in that position.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Reading the article, there was no SWAT response there either. Same as here, patrol officers checked it out, made the determination, and did the report on a false call.

We very seldom get a specific house, but false calls come in fairly routinely in certain neighborhoods of someone shot in the street or the like.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You guys are no fun....

We get them every night. We usually set fire to the back of the house and see what comes out the front. Sometimes, we set fire to the front and back just because.

Do you tackle the runners, curb stomp them and put them in flex cuffs? Or do you just shoot 'em. It's hard to find a place to get practice on movers, and that's a perishable skill.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From what I've read (most on ARFCOM) is that this is pretty popular with the younger gaming crowd or teens / early 20-somethings that are big into online chatting, etc. They see it as a way to get revenge or pull a prank.

There are some pretty hilarious (yet serious) examples on YouTube of guys sitting at their computers, gaming away with web cams rolling, and Police (may or may not have an actual SWAT unit) bust in and investigate the subject of the Swatted attack.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have never heard of this... And apparently it's not successful so I am curious as to the reason people are doing this.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How could that be in any way "hilarious"?

The hilarious parts are where the guys have no idea what is going on and react as if it wasn't an actual police response and thought it was part of the sound FX from their game (gamers were wearing high end head phones). Hence my follow up comment that they were very serious situations.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting read...

Reading the article, there was no SWAT response there either. Same as here, patrol officers checked it out, made the determination, and did the report on a false call.

We very seldom get a specific house, but false calls come in fairly routinely in certain neighborhoods of someone shot in the street or the like.

What do you guys think the reason for this is? Sort of a SWATting-lite sort of thing?

Top Bottom