• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    In the near future, I would like to buy an AR. However, I know very little about them and I want to learn and research them. So when I am ready to buy, I can make an informed. Right now they seem complicated to me. Is there a good thread someone could point me to, or anything exist like AR FAQ's, or AR's for Dummies. :):

I've been searching the Long gun forum but many threads that I've found are specific to a brand, what should I buy, should I build etc. I have been reading though some of those, but would like to get more basic.

I am planning on stopping in a couple gun stores I frequent and speaking to them over the next few weeks. Any help would be appreciated, and hopefully not too stupid of a question.

Thanks everyone!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Go over to arfcom, you can look and read without being a member. Alot of it's members are meh, but there's lots of learning opportunities there through reading. They have a forum called ar basics.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Pick between a Colt M4 with regular furniture or one with Magpul hardware...

Enjoy and never look back.

What part of Indy are you in? Lots of us with AR's who could show you the ropes, everyone sets theirs up differently so after you look/feel several you will start to see what works for you and what doesn't.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I must admit that I have turned into an AR snob over the years as I learned about the differences in quality of mfg and their parts.

i usually don't tell people to avoid brand X unless I am asked so, I will assume you asked.

Avoid Olympic, Delton(DTI), bushmaster, armalite (not the original mfg making them today) and actually that list goes on forever it seems.

for what 99% of people that ARs are going to do with their rifle, a good entry level AR would be a DPMS (very low quality but usable), PSA (pretty much same as DPMS) and S&W AR 15 Sporter. You can usually get into one of those new for about $500 and up, don't pay more than $650 at the very most.

good to great rifles, Colt (all ARs judged against Colt mfg standards), BCM, better/higher end models of S&W ARs, Spikes Tactical, CMMG/Stag, Rock River Arms (expensive for what you get). You should see these used $800-950 as you can buy a Colt for $950 in some places.

top end, LWRC, POF, Daniels Defense to name a few, these are going to be $1500+

keep in mind the most important thing on an AR is the bolt and the barrel, those will affect accuracy the most. You don't need all that Star Wars crap hanging off your rifle either. Lasers, window breakers, grip pods, bipods....

get used to shooting irons, once you have those down, look into a small, inexpensive red dot. Primary arms is a great source for a starter dot. You can move to a more expensive dot later if you like.

and keep in mind too, AR owners get real touchy if you start trashing their brand, it gets really silly sometimes.

like mentioned in the post before mine, get a Colt and you're set for life, just go buy spare spring kit and firing pin and a minimum of 10 mags (completely my personal preference)

buy once, cry once!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What do you want to do with the rifle?

What is your budget?

Do you have other firearms? If so I'd bet some of them are more complex than an AR15.

Now is a great time to buy or build an AR15. Quite possibly the best I've seen in ten years. The options are never ending and it's very easy to have exactly what you want.

The good outnumbers the bad so much that we rarely hear about the bad ones anymore. Some people still say negative things about Olympic, Bushmaster and some others but I've never seen them out in the wild to form my own opinion.

If I was smart I would stop buying knives and stockpile AR's. I know someday I'll regret it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'd suggest watching youtube videos on how to build one. IMO, it'd be easier than reading about how they work/function. Also, a lot of people are under the impression that you have to keep them clean for them to be reliable. I can tell you from experience that, that is absolutely false. Keep your bolt carrier group (bcg) thoroughly lubed and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go 10k rounds between cleanings. FWIW, I've had better luck with nickel boron or melonite bcg's running longer without a cleaning (as opposed to phosphate). I've never tried chrome or titanium.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I'd suggest watching youtube videos on how to build one. IMO, it'd be easier than reading about how they work/function. Also, a lot of people are under the impression that you have to keep them clean for them to be reliable. I can tell you from experience that, that is absolutely false. Keep your bolt carrier group (bcg) thoroughly lubed and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go 10k rounds between cleanings. FWIW, I've had better luck with nickel boron or melonite bcg's running longer without a cleaning (as opposed to phosphate). I've never tried chrome or titanium.

All good points! Although I have been checking the markets on ARs and parts associated with building, you can actually buy cheaper than building now!

these are about usual prices for new parts:

lower. $50
    lower parts Kit $50
    buffer tube assy with stock $50
    complete upper assy. $80
    barrel $150
    BCG. $80
    sights $50
    gas tube $10
    delta ring $10
    gas block $30
    foregrip $20

keep in mind that these are dirt cheap, junk parts, stuff I'd never use. For good, quality high end parts, you can at least double most of those prices.

i do suggest building one at least just to see how everything works and it is a lot of fun.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Forgot to add, there have been several reports I have read concerning coated bcg's and the coating peeling off. Again, the bcg and barrel are the most important parts of your rifle, don't skimp or cut corners here.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Dang, I must have learned it all the hard way.
    My Uncle Sam taught me all I needed to know, for over twenty one years. (U.S. Army Ret).

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    All good points! Although I have been checking the markets on ARs and parts associated with building, you can actually buy cheaper than building now!

these are about usual prices for new parts:

lower. $50
    lower parts Kit $50
    buffer tube assy with stock $50
    complete upper assy. $80
    barrel $150
    BCG. $80
    sights $50
    gas tube $10
    delta ring $10
    gas block $30
    foregrip $20

keep in mind that these are dirt cheap, junk parts, stuff I'd never use. For good, quality high end parts, you can at least double most of those prices.

i do suggest building one at least just to see how everything works and it is a lot of fun.

Can verify. I taught my 14 year old son how to assemble a 300BLK upper this weekend. We have nearly $700 into it with match grade barrel, BCG, carbon fiber floating forearm, Vortex Strikefire Red Dot... and we haven't even put a muzzle device on it yet. And that is without the form 1 suppression we intend to add once approved. Add in the lower receiver, parts kit, buffer tube, stock... another $150 roughly. That's before the inevitable trigger upgrade. We went to Rural King hoping to find some target grade 300BLK rounds for sighting it in (we left disappointed) and saw several Core 15, DMPS, and a Colt for less then $700. Ended up buying a box of subsonic hollow points from a local gun store (that I assumed was going to be closed on Sunday). Fell asleep on the couch before getting outside to try the thing out.

I figure at the end of the project, before suppression, but after the trigger upgrade I will be right around $1000.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    I highly recommend building your own. That's what I did for my first AR15, and now I know every single spring, pin, and detent.

I bought a lower/upper set, and an upper kit to get all my parts. There are some great YouTube videos out there that teach you everything you need to know.

Here's my parts list:
    Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower / Upper Set - Flat Dark Earth - $229.99
    DPMS Oracle Rifle Kit less lower receiver - $470.57
    Trigger Guard - $12.08
    MAGPUL - AR-15/M16 MOE CARBINE LENGTH HANDGUARD - $23.70

It's really not very difficult. If you are even slightly handy, you can do it. It's fun, and you'll learn a ton.
    ar15.jpg

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I don't have the time or desire to research and purchase all of the components to build an AR. I would rather buy a good complete version that I can just go shoot.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    I don't have the time or desire to research and purchase all of the components to build an AR. I would rather buy a good complete version that I can just go shoot.
    That's exactly why I bought a "rifle kit". Now, I know the names and function of every part. Maybe on the next one, I'll buy all the parts individually.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    How much time are you willing to spend reading about AR's? How much time are you willing to commit to watching multiple youtube videos about them? If you order a build kit, you will spend less time reading and watching to actually assemble it yourself. And you will probably learn more as well because it is hands on. That said, buy a lower build ki and a complete upper and you really don't need any special tools.

Top Bottom