• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    was hoping someone could help me.... I don't know a lot about the VZ2008 are all of them sporter models? some are listed as VZ2008 and others are listed as VZ2008 sporter... also, is there any difference in the VZ2008 and the VZ58? Thanks

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I may not be 100% correct, but I will tell you what I know, and what I "think" I know.

First off, there is a difference between a VZ2008 and a VZ58 in so much as who manufactures them, and which parts they use as surplus and which parts they use are U.S. made. the VZ2008 is imported and put together by Century arms. I now they use a U.S. made milled receiver and a US made Barrel. (Green mountain I believe) The VZ58 is imported and built by Czechpointe and uses different parts.( I am not as familiar) A quick google search will turn up results for which parts each manufacturer uses to meet compliance.

From What I have heard the VZ58 is a little higher quality( but you pay for it), and is a closer match to the VZ58 as it is/was used in Czechoslovakia. Not taking anything away from the 2008 as they are still awesome weapons. The VZ58 has a more correct Grey paint finish verses the VZ2008 which has a Nitride style finish. It also comes with a different muzzle device. The VZ2008 uses a slant brake which isn't the original design. I have been very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship on the VZ2008's I have owned.

The VZ2008 Sporter I believe is what they use to refer to the model with the metal folding Butt Stock. VZ's are available with the Folding stock and Beaver Barf pistol grip and fore-grips. They are also available with a fixed Beaver Barf Butt Stock as well as Wood Furniture. I have owned a couple VZ2008's and just sold one and have not had any issues. Palmetto State was running a special on the sporter model last year and was selling the gun with mags and goodies for $399. That supply has since dried up, but who knows, they may get more! I beleive they are only going to go up in Value, and is a good investment. I wish I did not have to part with mine.

The VZ although similar in appearance to an AK has very little in common mechanically. though the Magazines look similar in shape, they are not the same nor interchangeable with AK mags. The VZ also has a last round bolt hold open feature. The VZ is a striker fired weapon as apposed to an AK which is hammer fired. The VZ uses a Short stroke gas system as opposed to an AK's gas piston system.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sig-man pretty much covered it all I think. Love my 2008, but I will warn you that the beaver barf handguard gets hot in a hurry. I normally prefer to keep my rifles in their original configuration, but I switched mine out for some poly furniture that is much easier on the hand, and also allows the mounting of a red dot, scope, light, etc...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup, in typical eastern block fashion the forearms do get hotter than a SOB and quick.

They're cool rifles with cool history. But Century screws up everything they touch and for that reason, sold my VZ2008. If you want one, look for an older CZ or a modern Czechpointe

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Sig-man pretty much covered it all I think. Love my 2008, but I will warn you that the beaver barf handguard gets hot in a hurry. I normally prefer to keep my rifles in their original configuration, but I switched mine out for some poly furniture that is much easier on the hand, and also allows the mounting of a red dot, scope, light, etc...

That's very nice. I would love to have that set up.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yup, in typical eastern block fashion the forearms do get hotter than a SOB and quick.

They're cool rifles with cool history. But Century screws up everything they touch and for that reason, sold my VZ2008. If you want one, look for an older CZ or a modern Czechpointe

I would disagree on the severity of the Century judgment. I have owned four or five of the CAI VZ2008 rifles and all have had very good fit and finish and been reliable.

arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the Info... really helps me out. Doggydaddy that looks really nice that's what I would like to do if I get one....
    Thanks again everyone....

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Sold a VZ2008 for what I had in it after modifications to help fund my M1A. Big fan of the 7.62 x39, just not of Century Arms. Would keep open the possibility of doing a VZ58, but need to run it first.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I would disagree on the severity of the Century judgment. I have owned four or five of the CAI VZ2008 rifles and all have had very good fit and finish and been reliable.

Fit and finish overall I agree was good, machining was clean.

But mine had a cocked front sight post that Century wouldn't fix right. Even after I sent it in to get it sighted in at 40 yards I had the post drifted all the way over to the right.

That and how a couple people from "customer service" acted and sounded really left a bad taste, even talked to some of them in person. From that moment on I pretty much have had the mentality of screw century

If I want a VZ rifle again, I'll get a Czechpointe or find on CZ imported

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    NIce VZ Doggy, I have the same buttstock to put on mine but have not attempted to take off the original folder because of the dreaded screw. I have seen many ways of doing this but am curious what worked for you? I absolutely love my VZ2008. I have replaced front forearm with the NEA, slovakian muzzle brake, extended mag release and bolt release. Once I get the aforementioned folding stock off I am done...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NIce VZ Doggy, I have the same buttstock to put on mine but have not attempted to take off the original folder because of the dreaded screw. I have seen many ways of doing this but am curious what worked for you? I absolutely love my VZ2008. I have replaced front forearm with the NEA, slovakian muzzle brake, extended mag release and bolt release. Once I get the aforementioned folding stock off I am done...

I had to use a blowtorch, a really big screwdriver that I more or less used as a chisel, and a hammer to break it loose. I think they used red Loctite, or an equivalent when they put it in there. It was a bugger to get out for sure!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    I have one and I like it. It has a milled receiver but weighs less than a stamped receiver AK. I like the short stroke piston. The magazine can be loaded via stripper clip while the mag is still in the gun, AK clips will work but the ones I have used seem too thin and wiggle around too much to work properly. There are Czech made clips specifically for the VZ-58. It's cool for being striker fired.

The lower handguard has no heat shield so it does warm up fairly fast. The mag release is pretty much only accessible with your left hand and is still kinda tight to get to. I have not looked at extended releases. There is the possibility of something referred to as the VZ Gremlin which is a problem with the disconnector. Century claims the new disconnector fixes this problem but I'm not buying it, I still want to get a tab welded to my bolt carrier.

I had to use a pneumatic wrench to remove the screw on mine. I didn't want to destroy the screw or the finish as I may want to put it back on later. I picked up a solid stock at Knob Creek back in April. The solid stock looks better and feels better but when I shoot it with the solid stock it seems to slap my cheek. I still want to get a muzzle nut for mine to replace the slant brake. I really don't understand why they threaded the muzzles 14RH instead of 14LH to let customers access all of the AK muzzle brakes that were already on the market. I may look into that knurled compensator.

3ix9jaU.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One thing I should mention about that knurled compensator... I don't know if it's just a Century thing or not, but when mine was tightened such that it engaged the detent pin, it was "loose"... as in wobbly. I couldn't tighten it another full turn so that it would stay tight without it being misalligned. To solve that problem I bought a muzzle nut which I could unscrew just a hair so that the brake was oriented properly (they tightened against one another). I used some red loctite to hold the muzzle nut in place and it's worked like a champ ever since. I've never heard any complaints about CNC Warrior's stuff, so I'm guessing it was indeed a "Century thing".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have one and I like it. It has a milled receiver but weighs less than a stamped receiver AK. I like the short stroke piston. The magazine can be loaded via stripper clip while the mag is still in the gun, AK clips will work but the ones I have used seem too thin and wiggle around too much to work properly. There are Czech made clips specifically for the VZ-58. It's cool for being striker fired.

The lower handguard has no heat shield so it does warm up fairly fast. The mag release is pretty much only accessible with your left hand and is still kinda tight to get to. I have not looked at extended releases. There is the possibility of something referred to as the VZ Gremlin which is a problem with the disconnector. Century claims the new disconnector fixes this problem but I'm not buying it, I still want to get a tab welded to my bolt carrier.

I had to use a pneumatic wrench to remove the screw on mine. I didn't want to destroy the screw or the finish as I may want to put it back on later. I picked up a solid stock at Knob Creek back in April. The solid stock looks better and feels better but when I shoot it with the solid stock it seems to slap my cheek. I still want to get a muzzle nut for mine to replace the slant brake. I really don't understand why they threaded the muzzles 14RH instead of 14LH to let customers access all of the AK muzzle brakes that were already on the market. I may look into that knurled compensator.

3ix9jaU.jpg

I do like the look of the fixed stock a lot better than the wire side-folder. It's funny that you said you feel like it slaps your cheek though, because that's the way my wire stock felt. Actually felt more like a pinch than a slap though, and that was after wrapping it with paracord. That plus the heat issue is what convinced me to go with the aftermarket furniture.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I do like the look of the fixed stock a lot better than the wire side-folder. It's funny that you said you feel like it slaps your cheek though, because that's the way my wire stock felt. Actually felt more like a pinch than a slap though, and that was after wrapping it with paracord. That plus the heat issue is what convinced me to go with the aftermarket furniture.

I think the "cheek slap" comes from the slant brake. Once I changed to the changed muzzle devices, I have no issues with the folding stock.

i have no idea why anyone would have thought to put a slant brake on this gun in the first place.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the "cheek slap" comes from the slant brake. Once I changed to the changed muzzle devices, I have no issues with the folding stock.

i have no idea why anyone would have thought to put a slant brake on this gun isn't he first place.

You may be right. I switched everything out at once, so I never got to try the wire stock with the new muzzle device.

Top Bottom