The USA is not the murder capital of the world!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Brilliant analysis of the murder rate per capita of the nations of the world compared to the gun ownership per capita rate. It demonstrates that the USA is rated #111 on the per capita murder rate while being #1 in the per capita gun ownership rate. I

It also demonstrates that if our murder rate is low despite the high murder rate in the cities where gun control is enforced (i.e. Detroit, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Memphis, etc.).

Worth viewing.

https://www.facebook.com/colddeadhands/videos/806713486044197/?fref=nf

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The stats are not a secret, just often ignored. Sort the data below by rate and we're way down in the middle of the pack around 109 (given the data on the chart which is all 3 to 9 years old).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Can be compared with number of guns per capita (we're #1, of course):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Ergo, if guns really did cause murder we'd be way higher on the murder rate list than we are.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting.

But, if you consider "First World" countries (and accept the inherent racism/nation-ism in that label), then ahead of us appears to be: Russia and Baltic countries/former Soviet satellites (Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Modova) and that's about it.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Interesting.

But, if you consider "First World" countries (and accept the inherent racism/nation-ism in that label), then ahead of us appears to be: Russia and Baltic countries/former Soviet satellites (Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Modova) and that's about it.
    I'm not sure what the definition of "First World" is, but it doesn't seem like USA and Russia could both be it at the same time. I don't care enough to look it up, just opining here. Regardless, I'm not chucking out any data. I'm also taking any wiki data with a grain...at least...of salt since anyone can edit any wiki page at any time. I haven't done my own research to show me if the data is valid or not, and I'm sure that Morons Demand Action will edit that up to fit their narrative if given an opportunity.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It seems like hundreds of thousands have been "murdered" in Iraq and Syria lately. Why is that not taken into account?

EDIT to add....and Africa.

Another edit. In many parts of the world, everybody has a full auto AK. A real AK. Why dont the stats reflect that?

It is all BS.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting.

Is Russia now considered 'first world'? Did the 'second world' cease to exist with fall of the CCCP? :dunno:

As to the Baltics - huh. I was there this summer and felt really safe, but perhaps there's a seedier side. Well, I generally feel quite safe here in the States, so...

There's more to crime (and crime w/ guns) than murder.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, the whole "First World" paradigm has morphed over the years. I guess "developed" is also in vogue.

But, if you exclude Russia and the Baltics, then the US is #1. w00t!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure what the definition of "First World" is, but it doesn't seem like USA and Russia could both be it at the same time. I don't care enough to look it up, just opining here. Regardless, I'm not chucking out any data. I'm also taking any wiki data with a grain...at least...of salt since anyone can edit any wiki page at any time. I haven't done my own research to show me if the data is valid or not, and I'm sure that Morons Demand Action will edit that up to fit their narrative if given an opportunity.

I did not check the data in the Wiki posts cited above, but the data in the original post was from original research done by an identified researcher. His data is not subject to change as with the wiki data.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Interesting.

And...that's relevant how?...

The premise is guns = murders. Period.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And...that's relevant how?...

The premise is guns = murders. Period.

We would like for it to be that simple, but - and I'm not defending the position, just stating how I understand the position - we have the highest murder rate of "developed" countries. There is no doubt we have the highest gun ownership rate (to the extent we can trust statistics from countries like Botswana, Honduras, etc.).

If we're going to provide compelling counter-arguments, we need to understand the real positions. Not the positions we wish the other side takes.

American society is violent. For many different reasons. It would be great if it were less violent. But we have to make the argument that getting rid of guns isn't going to reduce the violence. For many people, that is difficult to understand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It would be interesting to see the real numbers of all murders were actually reported and documented world wide.

I suspect the US under reports in some urban areas, but I'll bet our numbers are close to the reality. I doubt if the same is true in Russia or much of the rest of the world.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It would be interesting to see the real numbers of all murders were actually reported and documented world wide.

I suspect the US under reports in some urban areas, but I'll bet our numbers are close to the reality. I doubt if the same is true in Russia or much of the rest of the world.

Agreed, to an extent.

I think our numbers are basically reliable, as are: Canada, Europe (however you want to define it), Australia, Japan, S. Korea, etc.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    ^^^ Not only is it more convenient to watch the embedded video, but viewing from their YouTube account will give them much deserved views/ad revenue. It is typical for these types of videos to be uploaded to Facebook by people that don't own them, and the people that put the effort into the video really do deserve the compensation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Agreed, to an extent.

I think our numbers are basically reliable, as are: Canada, Europe (however you want to define it), Australia, Japan, S. Korea, etc.

Western Europe, maybe, but there is no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that all the murders in Russia and other former Soviet-bloc countries are being reported.

Top Bottom