• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So I'm due to move in about the next year. Most likely to Michigan or North Carolina. My question is due I need to register all my guns I've bought from private sales??? Or am I good to just take them with me?

thanks not sure if this is the right area for this. Move if needed.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In NC you must have a permit to purchase a handgun, I don't know how that applies to folks relocating like you. NC is a shall-issue state, but you only need permission to conceal - you can OC all day.

I'm not an expert, I've only traveled there semi-regularly and picked this stuff up. Please get expert opinion as I pad my post count.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used to live in michigan, and there is a handgun registration. The way I understand moving into state with existing firearms is that you will have to get a "purchase permit" for each of your existing handguns and fill them out. You will put yourself as the seller and the buyer. This being said, things could have changed in the last few years too.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Uncle Sam gives me orders I gotta go where he says :( unless I get out, if I do I got a great job lined up back home in Michigan. If I can find a good job here I would stay in a heart beat!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How close would you be to the border? Do you arrange your own housing? Maybe a commute wouldn't be so bad. IN LTC works in MI by their rules.

Hey, and just because you leave IN doesn't mean you have to leave INGO.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    You say "Uncle Sam", if you are enlisted in the military, then you don't legally have to change your residence when you move about. Many keep their home state as their residency state. If it is a federal civilian job, then you have to change residency. Also, you are allowed to have homes in more than one state, you might be able to have a friend or family member store them for you here until you return. As someone else said, if you can live across the boarder then you could commute to work and keep your residency and guns in Indiana.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    My home state is Michigan.
    I understand, but if you are military, you can choose to become a resident of any state you are stationed in. I know guys who were stationed in Texas and decided it was beneficial to become Texas residents while there since Texas doesn't have an income tax. They also decided to remain Texas residents when the military moved them around after that to keep that legal tax break. Food for thought if you are stationed in a state you would rather claim residence. I don't know how long until you get out, but you might keep that in mind.

Top Bottom