• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Buddies? I know no member of the Board of Directors, and do not believe I know a member of the ABA.

The ABA is merely a prime example of O'Sullivan's First Law.

So are you some kind of right to litigate group and not a union member. Stinkin' scabs!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Buddies? I know no member of the Board of Directors, and do not believe I know a member of the ABA.

The ABA is merely a prime example of O'Sullivan's First Law.

Very true. I had to look this up. I was expecting to find something pertaining to the perspective of drunken Irishmen, but the truth is very fitting!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The ABA are professional circle-jerkers. For the entry fee for one year, one could get a life membership to the NRA, GOA and SAF. Well, almost.

They do nothing of use to anyone who actually works in the profession.

Cf. ISBA for the local equivalent, equally useless and self-aggrandizing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember the great consternation when apparently the world discovered that the ABA might just be leftists. The political talking class finally noticed that according to the ABA, leftist judges with no qualifications were all highly qualified while conservative judges with outstanding credentials were all less than qualified.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been that way for a long time, it's another one of those pseudo representative, dc centered groups.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Think about it. The Queen "B." about to become President 1) is a lawyer, 2) has a history of wanting to sue gun companies and dealers, and 3) is proposing legislation to increase the number of people who can be sued when guns are used in crime. I'm sure the ABA recognizes a business-expanding policy when they see it.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not a member. Never have been.

My apologies to you, Kirk And any other INGO lawyers that I may have offended. I realize that you are a slightly different breed than the lawyers that are advertising every 5 minutes on TV, unless I'm mistaken.

I did not realize until I read this article that the ABA was a liberal political entity, and that membership was not ubiquitous among lawyers. I just hadn't given it any thought. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW in case anyone got the wrong impression, Im a sarcastic cuss.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not offended. I'm not entirely sure I can be offended.

Like the AMA for doctors, the ABA is just a voluntary organization that paints itself as the voice of a profession. Neither organization is.

There are around 1.2 million lawyers in The U.S. Around 400,000 are ABA members, but honestly, that sounds high. If it weren't for governmental entities paying the dues of lawyer employees, I wonder how many members they would have. Take away the slightly discounted life and health insurance....

Yet the ABA has a monopoly in law school accreditation because most states will not let people take the bar if they did not graduate from an ABA approved school.

The AMA has about 220,000 members of the 920,000 physicians in the U.S.

It's kind of like how the AARP operates.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    My apologies to you, Kirk And any other INGO lawyers that I may have offended. I realize that you are a slightly different breed than the lawyers that are advertising every 5 minutes on TV, unless I'm mistaken.

I did not realize until I read this article that the ABA was a liberal political entity, and that membership was not ubiquitous among lawyers. I just hadn't given it any thought. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW in case anyone got the wrong impression, Im a sarcastic cuss.
    In all honestly, I don't think I know a single practicing attorney who is a member.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was a member for a few years as a young attorney (mid-90s) but then realized how out of touch it was with everyone who wasn't an ACLU litigator. Was kinda forced to rejoin when a major firm I was with was very active in it, but they covered the cost, so no biggie.

Top Bottom