can you buy a gun if your spouse committed a crime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well

me purchasing a gun has nothing to do with her crime or committing crime

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Depends what she was convicted of.

One of the members more up to date on the law can give specifics and I'm sure they will be along shortly.

Also welcome to the forum. Stick around and learn some more stuff from this great community.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You didn't commit the crime. You can own a gun. She, assuming she is a felon, cannot have access to the weapon.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You didn't commit the crime. You can own a gun. She, assuming she is a felon, cannot have access to the weapon.

Contact a lawyer and get a definitive answer, but this is how I look at it.

I would take every reasonable measure I could, once she is living at home again, to make sure that there is never an argument that she was in "possession" of the gun. i mean at the least it being locked away such that she could not gain access even if she wanted to....but talk to a lawyer.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I have always wondered this myself. Not that it currently matters but we all know how women can get crazy!! At least I know my wife can.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well

me purchasing a gun has nothing to do with her crime or committing crime
    What level of offense was the crime? Will she be on parole/probation? Did the offense have anything to do with domestic violence?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Contact a lawyer and get a definitive answer, but this is how I look at it.

I would take every reasonable measure I could, once she is living at home again, to make sure that there is never an argument that she was in "possession" of the gun. i mean at the least it being locked away such that she could not gain access even if she wanted to....but talk to a lawyer.

The only reason he couldn't buy a gun, is if his wife goes on probation/parole, and her conditions state a gun cannot be present in the home. I have many times had issues with offenders who had a spouse that owned weapons. There was pushback, but in the end the firearms were removed from the home. It's not like alcohol when the offender simply can't have access to the item. It must be removed completely.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The law states "convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year'' How much time could she have been sentenced to serve?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The law states "convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year'' How much time could she have been sentenced to serve?

and that is for HER

HE is not the criminal, HE can own a firearm. SHE can not have access to it depending on what the conviction was for.

Kut is also correct about terms of parole/probation

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    and that is for HER

HE is not the criminal, HE can own a firearm. SHE can not have access to it depending on what the conviction was for.

Kut is also correct about terms of parole/probation
    I know he is not the one convicted. What was the maximum sentence? If it is 9 months, it doesn't matter. Not one person has asked that question yet. Also there wasn't a need to shout.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I know he is not the one convicted. What was the maximum sentence? If it is 9 months, it doesn't matter. Not one person has asked that question yet. Also there wasn't a need to shout.

It doesn't matter what she is allowed to do. He wanted to know if he could own firearms. He can own firearms no matter how long her sentence was, no matter if she was convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It doesn't matter what she is allowed to do. He wanted to know if he could own firearms. He can own firearms no matter how long her sentence was, no matter if she was convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor.

This is both true and unhelpful.

He knows that he can purchase a gun. His question relates to the legality of a firearm being present in the home of a convicted criminal.

To properly answer, we really need more info about what the conviction was for and how long ago it happened.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    This is both true and unhelpful.

He knows that he can purchase a gun. His question relates to the legality of a firearm being present in the home of a convicted criminal.

To properly answer, we really need more info about what the conviction was for and how long ago it happened.

I answered up thread with helpful. As did several others.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Golly gee guys.

OP has another thread on his spouses incarceration. I believe it was a financial deal.

He states in the OP it is a 6 month sentence.

Now, carry on.

Top Bottom