• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I thought it would be fun to attend a .22lr only marksmanship competition that also incorporated somewhat realistic aspects of a mission. Everything range-wise would me more on a micro scale with much smaller targets, limited shots and windows of opportunity.

More ideas to go along with this but I'll leave it at that. Any thoughts?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I didn't hold the MOS, but I had good friends in STA plt that I worked with in and out of the field. So I'm fairly on top of what kind of training episode one could go through in a nicely set up course.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Maybe two sides to the event. One side is basically a walk up for the young-old. The other side is maybe a 1k course where camouflage and stealth is just as important as setting up for the shot(s). On field observers, cameras and other audio/motion sensing devices could be placed sporadically through out the field of play. Points are given to those who don't set a sensor off and can make the shot.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I thought it would be fun to attend a .22lr only marksmanship competition that also incorporated somewhat realistic aspects of a mission. Everything range-wise would me more on a micro scale with much smaller targets, limited shots and windows of opportunity.

More ideas to go along with this but I'll leave it at that. Any thoughts?

Why no love the the 17hmr :(

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This looks kinda similar to what I had in mind.

[video=youtube;1s1XCdWQYfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1XCdWQYfA[/video]

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We did something like this a while back..... def need to limit shots and make misses HURT.

This, we took a shot in the dark on the COF, and learned we needed to make misses have larger deductions to keep people from "spray and pray".

Dont be afraid to stretch the rimfire's legs. Most folks would be shocked to see what is possible with the 22lr. LR range rimfire IMO is the most fun, and best training a man can get behind a rifle from a precision standpoint.

One of if not the most fun Ive had in my life on range was with Indygunworks, throwing two 1.5"x1.5" (ballpark) electric fence insulator's down, going back 200 yds, and racing the insulator's to a waterway. I think we burned up 5k rounds in a few hours grinning from ear to ear.

Speaking of which, we are due nick.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Maybe two sides to the event. One side is basically a walk up for the young-old. The other side is maybe a 1k course where camouflage and stealth is just as important as setting up for the shot(s). On field observers, cameras and other audio/motion sensing devices could be placed sporadically through out the field of play. Points are given to those who don't set a sensor off and can make the shot.

YES, us old, crippled, need all the help, we can get .....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This, we took a shot in the dark on the COF, and learned we needed to make misses have larger deductions to keep people from "spray and pray".

Dont be afraid to stretch the rimfire's legs. Most folks would be shocked to see what is possible with the 22lr. LR range rimfire IMO is the most fun, and best training a man can get behind a rifle from a precision standpoint.

One of if not the most fun Ive had in my life on range was with Indygunworks, throwing two 1.5"x1.5" (ballpark) electric fence insulator's down, going back 200 yds, and racing the insulator's to a waterway. I think we burned up 5k rounds in a few hours grinning from ear to ear.

Speaking of which, we are due nick.

I agree... I just so happen to have a scope that needs to be doped.... time to dig through the box's and figure out where I put my .22 ammo when we moved.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Well, most marksman courses incorporate far more PT and field craft than actual shooting... Usually, multi day marksman academies (Police, Prisons, ect) only shoot to zero the rifle, get a round or two of shooting in front of the instructors (to correct any issues), and then to qualify under stress... You may only shoot your rifle 3 or 4 times in a week long academy... The REST of the time, they are smoking your butt with PT until you can barely walk, teaching you about concealment, and other skills like land navigation... Shooting is usually seen as tertiary to being a good observer, and operating effectively under stress.

1K run is a good start for most hobbyists - long enough to be challenging for people who don't exercise(99% of INGO), but not so long that it wont be fun or worry about loosing people. Follow that up with a short low crawl (20 yards) to a prepared firing position, and take some shots at multiple ranges (say, 3 on a 50 yard, and 3 on a 100 yard). Score it by both time and accuracy.

But a typical police marksman academy would have you run 2 miles with your rifle, and in full gear, then low crawl 200 yards uphill, then place 3 shots on a 3x5 note card at 400 yards, and disqualify you if you miss a single shot, or if you fail to complete those tasks within an overall time limit... and that is just for semi-pro domestic civilian work... Any kind of military "sniper" would have to go through much longer much harder training.

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Well, most marksman courses incorporate far more PT and field craft than actual shooting... Usually, multi day marksman academies (Police, Prisons, ect) only shoot to zero the rifle, get a round or two of shooting in front of the instructors (to correct any issues), and then to qualify under stress... You may only shoot your rifle 3 or 4 times in a week long academy... The REST of the time, then are smoking your butt with PT until you can barely walk, teaching you about concealment, and other skills like land navigation.

1K run is a good start for most hobbyists - long enough to be challenging for people who don't exercise(99% of INGO), but not so long that it wont be fun or worry about loosing people. Follow that up with a short low crawl (20 yards) to a prepared firing position, and take some shots at multiple ranges (say, 3 on a 50 yard, and 3 on a 100 yard). Score it by both time and accuracy.

But a typical police marksman academy would have you run 2 miles with your rifle, and in full gear, then low crawl 200 yards uphill, then place 3 shots on a 3x5 note card at 400 yards, and disqualify you if you miss a single shot, or if you fail to complete those tasks within an overall time limit... and that is just for semi-pro domestic civilian work... Any kind of military "sniper" would have to go through much longer much harder training.

YEP!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I've heard the Army has all kinds of fancy stuff like motion detectors for their sniper schools, but for an INGO shoot, an equally realistic and much easier drill to set up would be to have some kind of short observer type mission - say one or two locations just out of visual of each other where the "sniper" would have to relay some kind of details back to the score keeper, and change it up every couple of turns.

You could tie a bandana on a stick, and have them report the color after they advance to the target location and engage the target.

You could have them plot a course on a map to meet up with a second person, receive instruction on a target, move to the target, then engage the proper target based on the clues provided

Some kind of simple cheap exercise that makes them think and use practical skills.

Top Bottom