• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Okay, The Holidays sales are on us and found a safe that was exactly what we were looking for at a really good price. Here is my dilemma.

Our 1st safe is on the 1st floor, with a full basement underneath. It was a simple matter to anchor the safe by drilling holes through the subfloor and bolting the safe down using grade 8 bolts and big ass washers. This puppy isn't going to be pryed off the floor with anything less than a forklift.

New safe is going on the 2nd floor. I don't have access to the bottom of the subfloor without cutting into the very well finished 1st floor ceiling. I would like to use something stronger than a lag bolt to anchor to the 3/4" plywood subfloor, any suggestions?????

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe you could position the safe to span the floor joists and use bigger lag bolts, even if you have to drill extra holes in the bottom of the safe.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    You could anchor it through 3/4" subfloor to the joists under the second floor/above the first floor. Most joists will be 2x10. and with a straight pilot hole you could anchor your safe down with 6-8" lag bolts and still have plenty of joist left.

Not sure what your second story finished flooring is, but if its carpet you can cut a footprint out of the carpet the same footprint dimension of your safe and find those joists pretty easy...just look for the nails.

If you have hardwood, engineered or laminate wood, you could lag through the finished floor (via pilot hole) into the sub floor and also lag the backside of the safe into the 2x4 studs in the wall.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Locate the joists and go that route. Easy with a stud finder - only part that could suck about doing this is the safe may not be exactly where you want it.

I wasn't comfortable with just big washers when I had access to the other side.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Anchor it with lag bolts into any studs or joists you can find. But keep in mind if they bring tools and think they have time to blow they will get it loose. I always try to mount it in a corner and bolt it in with the door opening from back in the corner so that they can't get a bar in there. The absolute best thing you can do with a safe is hide it behind something so it is not visible to fast moving smash and grab dudes. I have a friend who mounted his safe in a closet and surrounded it with an old furnace cabinet. Anyone seeing it would just assume it's an old furnace and move on. Just look at your setup like you were a thief. I have hidden guns and safes behind masonite pegboard panels with a few cheap tools hanging on it and hinged to swing out like a door. Use your imagination. Everybody's got something to hide.......

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, what does your safe weigh? Given a second floor application, what type of safe weights are reasonable per spanned joist? Thanks.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, what does your safe weigh? Given a second floor application, what type of safe weights are reasonable per spanned joist? Thanks.
    I've always wondered this also, given my future need to "have another safe". :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    df9c252f-7392-4f92-8e8c-cb844b2210c9_l.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I anchored mine on the third floor to the wall studs...unless you're the government everything will have a weakness, and if you are it will have a weakness too.

You have a safe, secure it reasonably and move on.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I've anchored mine through the back into the wall studs when I don't have floor access.

Another option, make a 2x4 box (lay them flat) the size of the base of your safe. Lag bolt that securely to your floor and into the floor joists being sure to counter sink the heads into the 2x4s. Place the safe on the newly made base and anchor it to that with additional lag bolts.

Mike

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'd think about cutting the floor out in the foot-print of the safe and see what kind of wood or steel structure I could fit in the joist space, then put the floor piece back down.

Of course that would only work if you didn't have hardwood or other flooring that you didn't want to cut into.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Big lag bolts with flat washers into the floor joists and the same thing into the wall studs behind it. They work in conjunction with each other to prevent moving and or prying of the safe.
    Don't over think it. The thieves should have a damn tuff time getting inside to have access to the safe in the first place. Think about a security system with motion detection inside the home. Layers of security are the goal.

Top Bottom