• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    In my internet searches, I have found surprisingly little objective reviews. My homeowners insurance company has no suggestions but do offer discounted rates if you have a system but it has to be monitored, so most DIY systems are not an option. Any personal experience, suggestions, review sites? Feel free to PM me.

We have good neighbors nearby and good outside lighting. We already have two medium to large dogs, one is a lover but the other has a "you owe me money" attitude to strangers. The wife wants another layer of security when we are away. Thanks in advance.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Look at "Simply Safe".
    It is a DIY type of thing. but it can be monitored, and there are no contracts.
    No personal experience. Just something I keep hearing about on Glenn Beck's radio show.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've had simply safe for a few years.
    I love it.

they have friends and family coupon deals all the time. If you decide to go that route, post up and I or someone else can get you a few % off.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    If your goal is to lower your homeowner's insurance then shop for the cheapest monitoring service that satisfies the requirement.

Seems like you have your basics covered, with outside lighting and dogs. If you didn't have pets I would suggest indoor motion triggered sensors that connect to the internet with video.

In my internet searches, I have found surprisingly little objective reviews. My homeowners insurance company has no suggestions but do offer discounted rates if you have a system but it has to be monitored, so most DIY systems are not an option. Any personal experience, suggestions, review sites? Feel free to PM me.

We have good neighbors nearby and good outside lighting. We already have two medium to large dogs, one is a lover but the other has a "you owe me money" attitude to strangers. The wife wants another layer of security when we are away. Thanks in advance.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Would the insurance company give a discount for something like simplisafe? How would they know if you elected them to monitor your system or not?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Would the insurance company give a discount for something like simplisafe? How would they know if you elected them to monitor your system or not?

They give you a certificate. If you lie, you could be committing fraud. We love our SimplySafe alarm and may even get a second one for our little place in the woods.

There are companies out there that will monitor your alarm regardless of who installed it. I do like the Simply safe system because if they cut the phone and power lines it still calls out as cellular. And that's not an expensive option, that's how it comes. It's also completely wireless and can be taken with you if you ever move and won't leave a trace on your walls. But you do have to have cell service in the area for it to work.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    Iris from Lowes is also a good choice. The Consumer Report I read rated it above SimplySafe. I have had it for a little over a year. Since then two of my co-workers and my parents have purchased Iris. Just something to consider. There are no monthly fees unless you decide to go with the $10.99 premium service. All the window/door sensors are also thermometers. I put one sensor in my deep freeze and one in my beer fridge so I could monitor the temp. :):

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We have a 43 year old African Sulcata Tortoise who lives in the back yard. We use the Simply Safe temp probe to warn us if the temp in his barn gets below 45 degrees. :): The thing I like about SimplySafe is everything can be monitored and controlled from my phone. I can turn the alarm on and off and get all sorts of alerts if I so choose.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have had good luck with a wireless Honeywell system. All windows and doors are monitored. Main areas are monitored with motions and smoke detectors. Works like a champ. 5 year batteries and they self monitor and tell you when a battery is low.
    May have saved my bacon couple days ago. Trash day, I pulled the big trash can out just past the garage door and went back inside to collect the rest of the trash with the intent to put it in the big can for the street. I got distracted and went to bed with the garage door open. 4 am the alarm went off saying garage intrusion. Grabbed my bedside G19 & turned the dogs loose. Made my way to the garage and all was OK. There are 2 horns in the garage... I bet that bad guy pooped himself.

Something like this worked for me: Honeywell V20P62RFPK Wireless Alarm System from HomeSecurityStore.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm pretty sure SimplySafe and Iris and VERY similar. All devices hooked up are controllable from smart phone, pc or tablet with any kind of alert imaginable. I really like having the ability to control my home and garage thermostats, garage overhead doors, entry door deadbolts from my phone along with having my parents system "linked" to mine for when they are out of town.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    We just installed Simplisafe in our new home. Easy set up. $15 a month for monitoring. Can get expensive if you havery a lot of windows and put sensors on all. You can. Get a glass break sensor to cover multiple however.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    As before, I like simplisafe. I've got the premium monitoring, and the motion detectors can be used with dogs under 200 lbs.

I've also got a monitor in my gun cabinet that sends me a text very discretely whenever it is opened. Works for special drawers as well. Cause you need to know if someone has their hands in your drawers.

but look into the att whole house offering as well. Might be what you need.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a SimpliSafe refurbished system; saved some money over new and no issues.
    I cover the entire lower level of my house with three door sensors and two motion sensors. With the motion sensors you don't have to put a sensor on every door and window.
    They call you before they call the police, so you don't get hassled if you set it off by mistake. If you don't answer or if the person who answers gives the wrong password, the call the police. You have to have a monitoring package to get the certificate that gets the insurance discount.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    A+ for Simplisafe-----
    After a day at the range---I entered my house with both hands full-----put everything down and headed to the head------I had to clean up a yellow streak because I DID'NT SHUT OFF THE ALARM--------90dbs screaming,I'm trying to P----Simplisafe calling-------I told the guy(from Simplisafe) to hold because I could'nt-------I finished--cleared the problem,and all was well----head got a good scrubbing---------------

tallend

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I bought a SimpliSafe refurbished system; saved some money over new and no issues.
    I cover the entire lower level of my house with three door sensors and two motion sensors. With the motion sensors you don't have to put a sensor on every door and window.
    They call you before they call the police, so you don't get hassled if you set it off by mistake. If you don't answer or if the person who answers gives the wrong password, the call the police. You have to have a monitoring package to get the certificate that gets the insurance discount.

The negative of the motion sensors is that they are not active while in Home mode. This let's you freely move about your home with the system aremed, but doesn't cover you if somebody enters at night. This is why I believe glass break sensors in addition are a good idea.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The negative of the motion sensors is that they are not active while in Home mode. This let's you freely move about your home with the system aremed, but doesn't cover you if somebody enters at night. This is why I believe glass break sensors in addition are a good idea.

The system is completely customizable. I trust my locks while I am home and awake. My Home mode is set up with all sensors active and no delay and that is what is set while I'm sleeping. My Away mode is all sensors active with a 30 second delay.

Top Bottom