• ...and so much more!
  • broskins4323

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2016
    Floyds knobs
    Hello,

I have what I believe to be a WWII era Arisaka Type 38 'training' rifle. I have made the assumption that this is a training rifle primarily due to the smooth-bored barrel that it has. It also has a "mum" stamp on the top of the receiver as well as some japanese markings on the stock (both sides). Hoping the knowledgeable folks here have some information on these. Is there any other ways to know for sure this is a training rifle? What are the differences from the training rifle compared to a fully functional rifle? Can a training rifle be converted to a fully functional rifle?

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sure way? Shoot it. :) (I'm completely kidding, just to be clear. In no way should you fire that weapon until you are 100% certain it is NOT a traiing rifle.)

We need photos of the rifle's receiver, specifically the left side with Serial Numbers and markings, to check into it further.

-Nate

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If I remember correctly doesn't a 00 mark on the firearm signal that it was deemed unsuitable for use? Similar to British DP markings?

broskins4323

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2016
    Floyds knobs
    I may very well be mistaken, but I don't remember there being any serialization on the receiver. I will verify this evening when I post pics, but would this also be an indicator that this is a training rifle?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hello,

I have what I believe to be a WWII era Arisaka Type 38 'training' rifle. I have made the assumption that this is a training rifle primarily due to the smooth-bored barrel that it has. It also has a "mum" stamp on the top of the receiver as well as some japanese markings on the stock (both sides). Hoping the knowledgeable folks here have some information on these. Is there any other ways to know for sure this is a training rifle? What are the differences from the training rifle compared to a fully functional rifle? Can a training rifle be converted to a fully functional rifle?

Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide.

I don't know anything about these, but I sure hope that when you find out the history you post it, along with some photos. I think a lot of us on here like to learn about different firearms and their connection to history.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am going to need to do more research.

That is definitely a Japanese rifle from the bolt handle.

However, that is not a mum. It looks to be put on industrially, so I am guessing not defaced. Most confusing for me, but that doesn't take much as I don't have any Japanese rifles and haven't studied them much. As some rifles were removed from military service the Japanese removed the mum as the rifle no longer belonged to the Emperor. So this could have been post WWII, or anytime where the rifle was removed from the active Japanese military and given/sold to someone else. That is just a guess.

This will take someone with more knowledge than me.

Regards,

Doug

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That crest looks like a North China variant. But it looks to long to be a type 19... But there is not a lot of great records on those .

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That mum is worn but it started life like this

Image4.jpg

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That mum is worn but it started life like this

Image4.jpg
    [STRIKE]

I don't think so chief, but again no expert so I'm not 100% confident you are wrong.
    [/STRIKE] On second thought and inspection, I do believe you are correct.

I am thinking you are right on the North China variant. I found this link here: North China Type 19 « Forgotten Weapons

It looks like it was issued to the Chinese during the occupation. If so, a really neat piece of history.

Regards,

Doug

EDIT: If it was issued to North China, an easy test would be testing if an 8mm Mauser round fits. Don't test shoot, but that is a big round and should give a good idea.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    It was defiantly made where they had access to larger pieces of wood. The one I have, the stock is made of 2 pieces. My grandfather picked it up in the Philippines.
    20160209_200212449.jpg 20160209_200233990.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    [STRIKE]

EDIT: If it was issued to North China, an easy test would be testing if an 8mm Mauser round fits. Don't test shoot, but that is a big round and should give a good idea.

That would be a test, but there are 6.5mm caliber models out there. They made both up there.. Again the lack of solid documentation really gets in the way here

images

Top Bottom