• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    OK I have been looking at flashlights for a bit and have quite a few already. I trying to figure out which would be best for the following purposes. I'm not looking for manufacturer names just the best features. ( Lumens / Throw / battery type / overall size )

EDC:

Tactical rifle mount:

B.O.B.:

What do you carry and why do you think thoes features are the best for that situation?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    EDC: Surefire EB1 with tac tailcap
    WML: Surefire X300 for rifle
    BOB: Surefire M3LT

All run on CR123's, EB1 is 300 Lumen roughly 4-1/2" long perfect for pocket carry, X300 is either 500 or 600 Lumen depending on A or B model, CR123 batteries and mounting system to fit near everything. M3LT 70 or 800 lumen, dual stage button CR123 batteries, and is like the sun at night.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    EDC: Surefire EB1 with tac tailcap
    WML: Surefire X300 for rifle
    BOB: Surefire M3LT

All run on CR123's, EB1 is 300 Lumen roughly 4-1/2" long perfect for pocket carry, X300 is either 500 or 600 Lumen depending on A or B model, CR123 batteries and mounting system to fit near everything. M3LT 70 or 800 lumen, dual stage button CR123 batteries, and is like the sun at night.

Do you know that the throw of those lights are are they more of a spot light or flood light

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    EDC Flashlight.

I like a momentary tall cap if you run a weapons light which I do weather I'm CCing or OCing.

Why, because under stress its very hard to shut the light off if you need to reach for your sidearm. Last thing you want to do is light yourself up.

I like a dual momentary tall cap that goes from low to high.

Why, because in total darkness it's nice to have only 15 lumens so you don't get night blindness.

I like a piece of shock cord on the light.

Why, because I can wrap it around my hand and that way the light will stay there if I need to reach/grab for something.

I like a tight beam/spotlight.

Why, because I want to be able identify and disorient my attacker. It can give me time to run or engage the fight. I'm not Security, LE or Military so I am not look for trouble or searching for a suspect wear a spot light may help in those situations.

I like 200 lumens.

Why, because in a house where you have total darkness the light splash on walls is too much with higher lumens lights to the point where you have night blindness.

I like a flashlight that the bezel sticks out past your fist.

Why, because I can use it as a striking tool.

I would love to have something with rechargeable batteries.

Why, because flashlight can always be topped off. My flashlight does not have this option. I'm more concerned with the other options I've already said.

My EBC is a Surefire LX2 15/200 lumens.

Now for the pics.

U

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    EDC as of the past 5 years has been a 4sevens quark XML 123². I've been surprised with its durability.

I throw a streamlight TLR2 on guns I'm using for home defense, I mostly rely on the 4 sevens though.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    So does everybody prefer a flashlight with a long throw more along the lines of a spotlight or do you prefer a short throw on your beam which is more like a flood light?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So does everybody prefer a flashlight with a long throw more along the lines of a spotlight or do you prefer a short throw on your beam which is more like a flood light?
    I like a tight beam/spotlight.

Why, because I want to be able identify and disorient my attacker. It can give me time to run or engage the fight. I'm not Security, LE or Military so I am not look for trouble or searching for a suspect wear a spot light may help in those situations.

Upated my OP.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What do you carry and why do you think thoes features are the best for that situation?

What to look for in a flashlight:

1. Lumens, I want all the lumens.

2. I want the flashlight to turn off when I tell it to.

3. I want a flashlight so I can manipulate the pistol without having to do the Monica that means a lanyard or a ring. I prefer the ring because I am so old I remember having to make my own rings either out of tape or gaskets at the auto supply store (and not a frickin word for you young lions about how old this makes me).

Mounted light? Something rugged as heck (I am notoriously hard on gear, I broke a Ruger Blackhawk without shooting it) and turns off when I tell it to.

I shall repeat my recommendation for schooling. There are bunches of opportunities to train in Indiana and beyond. Avail yourself to them and allow your software to select your hardware.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    1st......make damn sure it cost.....at least a months worth you PAY......yeah, at's m'portant,ain't worth a shizz 'less it DO...:yesway:

2nd......THIS's m'portant......it GOT ta say....TACTICAL on'a package.....SUMplace......hell yeah.....:yesway: (at very least....need ta say....'official'...on'ere....)

All'at 'tactical' advice given......can go 'is route......

http://www.menards.com/main/lightin...4451599550-c-6314.htm?tid=3420957203208042401

if you in a 'spend' kind'a state o' mind......
    http://www.menards.com/main/lightin...4451601254-c-6314.htm?tid=6484854078515250175

hope 'is helps......

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you know that the throw of those lights are are they more of a spot light or flood light
    I don't get all scientific about the throw, is it bright enough far enough to see what I want? All of the ones I carry and mentioned, make night day, or at least day enough.

Top Bottom