• ...and so much more!
  • rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Good afternoon, INGO!

I've infected my significant other with the shooting bug. Not much more than a year ago, she had never owned a gun or been to the range. Now she encourages ammo purchases and, when the box starts to get full, gets excited about a trip to the range.

More than that, she's been receptive of my reasoning on carrying and is interested in doing so herself. Now it's time to find the right EDC for her. She's tried out a Hi-Point C9 (I know, I know), my Springfield XDS, and my dad's LCP and snubbie 5-shot 38 SPL. I'd post pics of her grouping with the LCP and 38, but I don't need you competing for her hand in marriage. Lol.

Now it's time to find something for her to train with and eventually carry. We've done a few LGS trips to take a look at what's available, talked about pros and cons, what she's liked about the ones she's shot, etc. But I need your help.

Currently, she's leaning towards a LC9S. She liked the laser for the LCP but hated the looong trigger pull. She enjoyed the option of pulling back the hammer for a much snappier pull on the 38, but didn't enjoy the grip. So ideally we'd like to find a quality semi-auto about the size of a lc9/LCP in DA/SA. If you've stuck with me through this whole thing.... your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Head to a range that offers rentals. Have her try out a bunch of different things... Then pick out which one she likes the feel of best.

If she wants a smaller firearm, then the Shield and G43 will be pretty good things to try, too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Head to a range that offers rentals. Have her try out a bunch of different things... Then pick out which one she likes the feel of best.

If she wants a smaller firearm, then the Shield and G43 will be pretty good things to try, too.

This.

I'd encourage her to check out the Shield and the Walther PPS. As she's new to guns, she wouldn't have to "unlearn" years of using one style of magazine release over the other. If she wants a .38, then the LCR has nice grips and the "X" versions allow thumb cocking. If that's a good thing or not on a defensive carry gun is another matter, and snubbies take more dedication to master than the single stack 9mms do.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    This.

I'd encourage her to check out the Shield and the Walther PPS. As she's new to guns, she wouldn't have to "unlearn" years of using one style of magazine release over the other. If she wants a .38, then the LCR has nice grips and the "X" versions allow thumb cocking. If that's a good thing or not on a defensive carry gun is another matter, and snubbies take more dedication to master than the single stack 9mms do.

I hadn't thought of the Walther, thanks! And I agree with both of you that would be ideal. I'll have to see if I can arrange a trip. We're on the Ohio border, so getting a babysitter for a trip to Indy or Cincinnati is a lot harder than to the local range. But it could be a fun day out for us. Where would you recommend with a wide variety to rent and reasonable fees?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I hadn't thought of the Walther, thanks! And I agree with both of you that would be ideal. I'll have to see if I can arrange a trip. We're on the Ohio border, so getting a babysitter for a trip to Indy or Cincinnati is a lot harder than to the local range. But it could be a fun day out for us. Where would you recommend with a wide variety to rent and reasonable fees?
    In the Indy area I recommend Parabellum in Avon, nice range and a good variety of rentals.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Glock 42 is a sweet shooter for a small gun.

The trick with the LCP's trigger (or any trigger) is dry fire practice and lots of it. 5 minutes a day for a couple of weeks, and you forget about it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Sounds like she's tried some already, and has discovered what she likes and doesn't like. As previously mentioned, she should find a range that rents, and spend some money and time trying out everything she can. Get advice from the people at the counter, and try those. No point in buying something that someone else likes.

Also while at the range, you should get rid of that xd & buy a 1911 in 45. They're the best. <-- see my point?

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    In the Indy area I recommend Parabellum in Avon, nice range and a good variety of rentals.

Thank you all. And thank you for the recommendation on Parabellum. We're planning a trip to head up (over) there in the next month. The deal is, I cover the trip and I'll pay half of whichever she picks out for her birthday. (No straw purchases or anything.. and she's a proper person. I'll just give her half of the price in cash.)

"Anything pink should be just fine."

Funny enough, when I showed her the LC9S in Tiffany Blue (cerakote on gunbroker IIRC) she said "I don't care if I like shooting it, I'll take that one." Haha. She was kidding of course :P

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    You seem to be doing it right. NO ONE can pick out the best firearm for another person (including me). I have 2 DIL's that like shooting a lot. One is somewhat reluctant to accept hard recoiling handguns, although she likes her 45 and 38 Spl.. The other however loves to shoot big handguns up to and including the S&W 500 mag., one of the hardest recoiling handguns made (obviously not an EDC unless you live in Bear country in Alaska. Her favorite carry is a Sig 9mm, its a compact but can't remember the model.

Everyone has a favorite grip size style and most find a grip angle that points the best for them. The only way to determine those parameters is to try out many firearms. Almost all of today's firearms are darn reliable, just be sure you fire them enough to make sure there are no surprises, even the best manufactures make mistakes occasionally. Also be sure to fire enough of the defense rounds you intend to use to make very sure they feed perfectly in all the magazines you own and in the handgun.

You might want to rent some guns, also talk to your friends that carry, most everyone is pretty proud of their handguns and like to have others try them out at the range.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Looking into Parabellum.. The rates are reasonable and we'd like to go. But very few of the available rental firearms are of interest. Kinda on a limb here, but is there anywhere else in the area that would have some of the more obscure items for rental (PPS, S&W 3913, etc)? As it stands, we'd be making a day of a trip to Indy just to try the bodyguard, g42, and lc9s. Even more of a limb, any ingoers willing to meet up for a few loaners?

I know you don't know us. I'm kinda uncomfortable asking. But I hear cheeseburgers (with bacon) are good incentives. I could buy you one of those first and you can size us up then head to the range if you're comfortable.

We're thinking the third Saturday of March.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Looking into Parabellum.. The rates are reasonable and we'd like to go. But very few of the available rental firearms are of interest. Kinda on a limb here, but is there anywhere else in the area that would have some of the more obscure items for rental (PPS, S&W 3913, etc)? As it stands, we'd be making a day of a trip to Indy just to try the bodyguard, g42, and lc9s. Even more of a limb, any ingoers willing to meet up for a few loaners?

I know you don't know us. I'm kinda uncomfortable asking. But I hear cheeseburgers (with bacon) are good incentives. I could buy you one of those first and you can size us up then head to the range if you're comfortable.

We're thinking the third Saturday of March.

I'm not far from you and have a decent selection to try out if you like. Also have a membership at Old Trails. Both indoor & outdoor so weather wouldn't be a factor.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I'm not far from you and have a decent selection to try out if you like. Also have a membership at Old Trails. Both indoor & outdoor so weather wouldn't be a factor.

That's a fantastic offer, thank you! We should definitely arrange a time for that. I'll actually be at the March 1st meeting of OTGC to start up my membership. Dad's been a member for years.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    That's a fantastic offer, thank you! We should definitely arrange a time for that. I'll actually be at the March 1st meeting of OTGC to start up my membership. Dad's been a member for years.

Do not forget your NRA card. I'll probably show up for that one as well. I've got a couple of questions I wanted to ask them. If you're interested I can send you a list of things to try out. The 3913LS is one of them.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Do not forget your NRA card. I'll probably show up for that one as well. I've got a couple of questions I wanted to ask them. If you're interested I can send you a list of things to try out. The 3913LS is one of them.

I was worried about that. I started my NRA membership at the beginning of this year but haven't received my card yet. I have emails with my membership number, though.

I'd greatly appreciate that, sir. PM me?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I was worried about that. I started my NRA membership at the beginning of this year but haven't received my card yet. I have emails with my membership number, though.

I switched to lifetime member in early November, but didn't get my new card and info via snail mail until mid January... hold tight! It'll get there. :)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

If you don't get your card by then I would print out one of the emails. Maybe see if you can login to the NRA site and print your membership page. I'll get a PM out here shortly. I've got some grilled cheese sandwiches that need dealing with.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I'd like to throw out another possibility. Take a look at the Sig P320 subcompact. It comes with different size grips so if your SO has small hands, you can get the small grip. They're also reasonably priced - and their a Sig.

Top Bottom