• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    So, for Valentines day, my gf got me an unlimited pass at the local indoor gun range. I have shot at indoor ranges many times before, but I need some help with ideas to take it to the next level. Rules at this range prohibit drawing, and reloads are out because magazines will fall out onto the range. Outdoors I can use my shot timer, but indoors it picks up way too much input from other shooters. I could use the par time feature, but dont really want to annoy neighbors on the range.

So, what do you do at indoor ranges to build your skills?? Do you focus solely on slow, deliberate, accurate shooting? Do you practice double taps? How far do you normally shoot at?

Any advice is very helpful! I would like to focus on improving my speed and accuracy of quick shooting, such as double or triple taps. Thanks guys!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You may not be able to "draw" but you should be o.k. with holding it close to your chest, then making a quick sight picture acquisition.
    You could still practice the double/triple taps.
    When indoors, I generally try to practice on a little further distance than I normally shoot with a handgun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is it just me, or does Dr. Dirt sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres?

Was at an indoor range yesterday.

1. Malfunction drills.

2. Non-dominant eye shooting.

3. Non-dominant hand shooting.

4. Press outs.

5. Single load revolver drill.

6. Hand switches.

Lots of stuff you can do.

I would like to focus on improving my speed and accuracy of quick shooting, such as double or triple taps.

Ummm, ok, but why? Speed will come with time.

Focus on manipulations. People get in trouble because they cannot run their gear, not because they cannot shoot.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    I normally save my reckless training for outdoors, churchmouse... ;)

Thank you for the list kirk. I'm not sure why I didn't think of a lot of those... I think I got to focused on the fact it was indoors, and I couldn't run around like those guys on youtube! Speaking of, know any good videos or references on the "correct" way to perform or practice those drills?

I see you're from Lafayette Kirk. Shoot at Applied Ballistics? I tried to shoot there every other week when I was at PU.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Ummm, ok, but why? Speed will come with time.

Focus on manipulations. People get in trouble because they cannot run their gear, not because they cannot shoot.

Honestly, I'm not sure... The truthful answer is probably because the guys on youtube and instagram are fast, and they are cool, so fast is cool and I want to be cool?

Yes, I know its terrible reasoning... :(

You bring up a very valid point though. I need to keep telling myself to focus on fundamentals and manipulations.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Church, my outdoor training is almost ALWAYS like the range scene in Super Troopers. Its a ton of fun!

520130246.jpg

JACKD7

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    So, for Valentines day, my gf got me an unlimited pass at the local indoor gun range. I have shot at indoor ranges many times before, but I need some help with ideas to take it to the next level. Rules at this range prohibit drawing, and reloads are out because magazines will fall out onto the range. Outdoors I can use my shot timer, but indoors it picks up way too much input from other shooters. I could use the par time feature, but dont really want to annoy neighbors on the range.

So, what do you do at indoor ranges to build your skills?? Do you focus solely on slow, deliberate, accurate shooting? Do you practice double taps? How far do you normally shoot at?

Any advice is very helpful! I would like to focus on improving my speed and accuracy of quick shooting, such as double or triple taps. Thanks guys!
    You probably have to use one of their targets to start with; I take 1/2 size IPSC targets after using the range target.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    You probably have to use one of their targets to start with; I take 1/2 size IPSC targets after using the range target.

There is no target rule that I know of. However, I have been using their targets. Full size ispc I believe, just paper instead of cardboard. A 1/2 size target is a good idea though. Aim small, miss small.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Work on the fundamentals. You would be miles ahead of a lot of shooters if you could shoot well SHO and WHO with varied foot positioning.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Strong hand only
    Weak hand only

Oh, duh... Thank you!

There are plenty of reasonable priced instructors around here who will give coaching and feedback you can never get from a video.

Here are a couple I've trained with several times:

"Coach" here on INGO - Home Page

"Obijohn" and "Rhino" here on INGO - Adaptive Consulting & Training: Welcome to Adaptive Consulting & Training

I really would like to look into some actual training or coaching with an instructor. I will take a look into those options. Thanks again!

The Captain Numbnuts on the Internet with their Position Cul and dirty baseball hats? Lots of noise but no purpose? Tac pants and flippy gun? I'll pass.

Gunhandling, gunhandling, gunhandling.

In my defense, I'm still young and dumb... However, I am going to take your advice and focus on fundamentals and gun handling.

I'm thinking that you just qualified to be a Moderator on INGO.

Hahaha, is that what it takes??? Sounds like a lot of responsibility... Careful though :mods:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In my defense, I'm still young and dumb... However, I am going to take your advice and focus on fundamentals and gun handling.

How many repetitions does it take? 10,000 repetitions? 13,000 repetitions? Whatever. That's many hours of the 3 variants of malf drills. You can do those all day at the range.

People always want to shoot fast with rock music and flames and cheerleaders in the background. However, this same people cannot run their gear and handling their guns like drunken, crack-addicted monkeys.

Everyone wants to be a ninja. No one wants to stand in horse stance and breath while the incense stick burns.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...People always want to shoot fast with rock music and flames and cheerleaders in the background...

Sign me up! Where can we do this? :):

Oh, duh... Thank you!

I really would like to look into some actual training or coaching with an instructor. I will take a look into those options. Thanks again!

In my defense, I'm still young and dumb... However, I am going to take your advice and focus on fundamentals and gun handling...

You are doing fine, asking the right questions. :ingo: Continue to research and study. :yesway:

Great suggestions by chezuki on BFT and ACT. Icing on the cake with these local trainers is you'll most likely get to bump elbows with a lot of the screen names you see on here.

You might want to look into the overused "double tap" and "triple tap" terminology vs actual controlled, deliberate fast shots with a sight picture for each shot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom