• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I saw a 64 gun cannon safe at the local tractor supply this weekend for $900. Obviously this is one of the cheaper safes I've come across (also the biggest for the money). Anybody have any positive or negative experience with these? They come with a lifetime warranty. It Seemed fairly well built, but I'm by no means an expert. 75 minute fire rating, 11 1" locking bolts. I don't have a crazy expensive collection, but I do plan to keep adding over time (which is why I found the 64 gun capacity appealing).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've had a Cannon for years. It's not one of the shiny, display grade safes but it does what I need it to. If you opt for a dial lock be careful spinning it quickly, mine slipped internally changing the combination slightly. Many of the COMSEC safes I used in the Army had S&G locks and that was never an issue, I guess the versions that come on the Cannons aren't as well built.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have a 64 and a 24 cannon safe from tractor supply and really cant say anything bad about them. Don't put to much ammo on any of the shelves if you decide to use it that way. They will collapse with too much weight. My dad found that out the hard way. Be sure to keep a spare battery just in case. When the keypad battery starts getting weak it will not open the bolts, it just clicks and aggravates you.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've had a Cannon for years. It's not one of the shiny, display grade safes but it does what I need it to. If you opt for a dial lock be careful spinning it quickly, mine slipped internally changing the combination slightly. Many of the COMSEC safes I used in the Army had S&G locks and that was never an issue, I guess the versions that come on the Cannons aren't as well built.

You can buy a S&G lock that fits these safes. I just got one in the mail with the intention of trying it on the 24 gun safe. I think it was just over $100

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    I have the 64 gun safe from TC, I also found the shelves to be a little on the weak side. I just got some blocks of wood and braced them on the gun divider in the middle of the safe. I also installed some LED lights in mine so i could see a little better. All in all for the money I am happy with the safe.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can buy a S&G lock that fits these safes. I just got one in the mail with the intention of trying it on the 24 gun safe. I think it was just over $100

Mine has an S&G, I just don't think it was built as robust as the ones I used in the Army. Once it spun and changed the combo on me I started being more careful and have not had an issue since.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had one for 15 years and sold it 10 years ago to get a bigger safe, never had an issue, If I had to nitpick I think the SG lock was a second because it had a nick in the dial that had got painted and it looked like a number location but I just ignored it and went on

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I got a stack-on a while back from rural king. 48 gun I think, but not anywhere big enough. It was $200 off orig price and I figured it would add to the one that I have now until we got our new place built with the vault room in the basement. Anyway, I think the "bang for ur buck" is really good with it and it's a world better then a wood cabinet.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I bought a Cannon from TSC about 6 or 7 years ago on their Black Friday sale that they have yearly...they always have the best safe prices of the year that day. It was too big for my needs at the time now it is WAAYYYY too small. Mine has the electronic lock, wish it was a quality dial. Biggest problem is that I often need to enter the combo numerous times before it will unlock. Have tried entering #'s fast, slow, and every speed in between and does not seem to matter.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Johnson Safe. He's a site supporter. He's in zionsville. Spend the money, dont focus on the number of guns it will hold, that number is wildly too high. fully welded seems, the interior will hold as much ammo on the shelves as you want because he makes it with quality materials. thick steel, thick door, great fire protection, cant say enough.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Johnson Safe. He's a site supporter. He's in zionsville. Spend the money, dont focus on the number of guns it will hold, that number is wildly too high. fully welded seems, the interior will hold as much ammo on the shelves as you want because he makes it with quality materials. thick steel, thick door, great fire protection, cant say enough.

Way different price range for the size.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

Does your dial say LG or LaGard anywhere on it? These safe locks are notorious for skipping numbers.

EDIT - saw your later post referring to the S&G lock. That is exceptionally rare for an S&G to skip. The wheels across all of their lock series is very similar in design. Leads me to believe you might have had a wheel that was only partially locked down after having the combo previously changed. A worn or incorrect change key can cause this. That said, hard/fast spins are never recommended. There are small brass pieces called a 'fly' inside that pick up each successive wheel. These break under force of impact from aggressive spinning.. when that happens you are really in a bad spot.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have one of the cannon safes and a Johnson. The quality is night and day differance. That being said so is the price. But here is some food for thought.

Most cannon safes from tsc are fire rated for 30 mins at 1200 degrees. The average house fire is 40 minutes at 1300 degrees so dependi g on your fire depts reaponse time you could just be wasting time.

If your concern is theft most cannon safes from tsc don't even list their steel guage. But anything over 10 (I suspect cannons to be 14 or so) is easily defeated with a fire axe. The doors are composite doors with out a actual plate on the front but are still the thickest point on a cannon. It's the same as the the sides and top but has some extra fireboard behind it.

If the theif has a decent pry bar or any real tools they can be inside the safe in minutes

Now if your goal is some fire protection and to keep the kids out no worries. It will do that. And they are definitely better than nothing.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I bought the Cannon CA23 safe from gunsafes.com several years ago and it works fine! I have the electronic lock and I was told that a mechanical lock needs an annual service from a locksmith to stay in warranty. The crew at gunsafes.com even arranged for installing in my house, rather than a drop off at the kerb, which was a good thing to get! Check out their prices and the 64 gun safe at $900 sounds a good deal.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have one of the cannon safes and a Johnson. The quality is night and day differance. That being said so is the price. But here is some food for thought.

Most cannon safes from tsc are fire rated for 30 mins at 1200 degrees. The average house fire is 40 minutes at 1300 degrees so dependi g on your fire depts reaponse time you could just be wasting time.

If your concern is theft most cannon safes from tsc don't even list their steel guage. But anything over 10 (I suspect cannons to be 14 or so) is easily defeated with a fire axe. The doors are composite doors with out a actual plate on the front but are still the thickest point on a cannon. It's the same as the the sides and top but has some extra fireboard behind it.

If the theif has a decent pry bar or any real tools they can be inside the safe in minutes

Now if your goal is some fire protection and to keep the kids out no worries. It will do that. And they are definitely better than nothing.

You want a real gun safe? Find a used GSA red label map and plan container outfitted with the slide out rifle rack. Solidly constructed body of welded 3/8 to 1/2" thick steel. Exceptionally heavy bolt-work securing the front door. Diabolically difficult to penetrate hard-plate protecting the vitals inside the door... so much so you can't physically drill through the steel barriers. You have to slowly grind your way through with a diamond grit hole saw. It can take hours to successfully achieve an opening under the best of circumstance, with the best tools, and absolute knowledge of the hardware.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hardscrable said:
    Biggest problem is that I often need to enter the combo numerous times before it will unlock. Have tried entering #'s fast, slow, and every speed in between and does not seem to matter.

Had an identical issue with a Redhead brand (don't remember the exact manufacturer) safe with S&G electric lock. I believe the buttons are wearing, where they register an attempt pressing them but for whatever reason it doesn't get correctly sent to the 'brain'.

I changed my combination to numbers that weren't in my previous combination and have not had any issues since.

I figure when I start running into issues again, I'll change the lock...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Look for the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) stamp and tested rating. If it doesn't have it I wouldn't buy it.

What they "say" it will do could(?) be total bull:poop: or spot on. With a UL rating you will KNOW that it has been tested and will perform to a minimum standard.

This isn't exactly a tool that you hope works when put to the test, is it?

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom