• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    First, let me try to lay out the facts.

Most of "my" guns are currently in my grandpa's (my mom's dad) collection. I will inherit them eventually. I currently have some in my personal collection at my house. Grandpa keeps an inventory of all the guns in both of our collections and records who has possession of which gun(s). Nothing we own needs a stamp. No SBR, SBS, suppressor, nothing.

My dad sent me an email saying the law is going to change and I should look in to getting a trust before July 13. Dad said, when I (or grandpa) dies we will not be able to pass down any gun we own to anyone.

Dad sent this link to me in the email he sent:
    New Gun Trusts Laws Take Effect July 13, 2016 | Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A. - JDSupra

So, INGO experts, do I/grandpa need to get working on setting up a trust?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The change only affects NFA items. Non NFA items aren't affected. You may buy, sell, trade, give away, or whatever as you please.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If there is no will then those firearms he has become part of his estate. The rules of intestate succession will apply and you may get screwed. Just so you know. Nothing brings out the ugly in a family like money!!! Of course other rules also apply but it will be your burden to show.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    More hypothetical:

Someday (after July 13, 2016) I decide I want an SBR and/or suppressor. Would I be better off to already have a trust set up now, even without the NFA items and add them later, or just set it up at that time?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    More hypothetical:

Someday (after July 13, 2016) I decide I want an SBR and/or suppressor. Would I be better off to already have a trust set up now, even without the NFA items and add them later, or just set it up at that time?
    Doesn't matter. Only reason to set up ahead would be to put something on it before the July deadline.

Top Bottom