• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Let's change up one of the quotes from the article and see how they (the anti's) would like it...

"[Seattle] has every right to tax products that are causing public safety/public health issues in its jurisdiction," said Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "The medical and legal costs associated with [STRIKE]gun violence[/STRIKE] alcohol are astronomical and I don’t see any foul play in asking [STRIKE]gun buyers[/STRIKE] drinkers to help bear some of these costs alongside taxpayers who choose not to [STRIKE]own guns[/STRIKE] drink."

Now I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they sell way more alcohol than guns in the city, and that alcohol-related deaths and medical issues probably top the numbers associated with gun-related violence. So if they're serious, they would really tax the crap out of alcohol sales. But they won't. That would make too much sense, and liberals can't be accused of having any sense.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    And like most taxes like this it will do nothing but screw over these poor SOBs that were "dumb" enough to open a gun shop in Seattle because it was a dream of theirs..

People in Seattle will drive across the city border to purchase firearms & ammo
    People in Seattle will order from online stores and let UPS run the tax blockade
    People will just say F it and move out of Seattle..
    Seattle Gun shops and sporting goods stores will lay people off with the drop in sales

And in the end The same number of guns and ammo will be sold (If not more because people on the fence will say I do not need that, but I always wanted one and better get it now or Oh I only need 500 rounds, but I will get 2000)

And all of these fine working folks (and the people of Seattle) will be hurt just so some pencil neck will be able to say at
    his next cocktail party... "Oh yes I shut down those gun shops, I am so damn good" and the airheads around him will know he cares and is a good person..

Parrthed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Charlestown
    Seattle has been pushing their limits for too long with this crap. I fear this may be a way to get the anti-gun agenda to stick in more places than just Seattle, "were not taking your guns away...... were just making it prohibitively expensive to have them". We all know every Gubment loves its taxes. All they need is to push the " were taxing the ammo to help others" and not "get rid of all guns!" its pretty much a side street to the same destination if you ask me. Its not too difficult to think that they can get enough support to tax ammo and guns to " pay for safety programs, ect...". This could possibly be a glimpse into a grim future. Kudos to the stores for fighting and not just rolling over. Every gun owning American needs to stand with them too even if its not in our own backyard. But enough depressing talk, I'm headed out to pick up my Serbu :)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Just remember, the requirement to show free ID to vote is a poll tax - but the over taxation of firearms protected by the Second Amendment is not.

Lets see how this works after the 9th Circuit said that the Second Amendment includes the right to acquire arms, and that what Seattle is doing is no more than a poll tax on the exercise of a Constitutionally protected right.

Let's change up one of the quotes from the article and see how they (the anti's) would like it...

"[Seattle] has every right to tax products that are causing public safety/public health issues in its jurisdiction," said Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "The medical and legal costs associated with [STRIKE]gun violence[/STRIKE] alcohol are astronomical and I don’t see any foul play in asking [STRIKE]gun buyers[/STRIKE] drinkers to help bear some of these costs alongside taxpayers who choose not to [STRIKE]own guns[/STRIKE] drink."

Now I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they sell way more alcohol than guns in the city, and that alcohol-related deaths and medical issues probably top the numbers associated with gun-related violence. So if they're serious, they would really tax the crap out of alcohol sales. But they won't. That would make too much sense, and liberals can't be accused of having any sense.
    If you want to annoy the antis instead substitute in birth control, and as the most vocal demanded that anyone without a vagina was not allowed an opinion then anyone without a firearm does not get an opinion.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder how many gun shops or ammunition sales places are actually in the county?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe I'd feel differently if Seattle were my home town but if I owned a gun store, like that one business that was mentioned in the story, I'd move my store outside the city limits...only I'd offer free bus passes or pick up/delivery service for my customers.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Thank goodness we live in Indiana. Hopefully we never have to deal with that kind of stupidness.
    Our Governor's race is important this fall. Not saying we are anywhere close to becoming like Seattle, but the liberals erode away our rights with little steps.
    I also remember a few years back when Seattle banned the "Buy American" slogans that a businessman had paid to advertise on Seattle's buses. Seattle claimed "Buy American" was prejudiced against the large population of Asians living in Seattle and ordered the advertisements removed from the public buses.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, I wonder what would happen if you closed down your "gun store" and reopened a "training center".
    You pay for the training, and a gun is just "given" to you, not "sold" to you.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Our Governor's race is important this fall. Not saying we are anywhere close to becoming like Seattle, but the liberals erode away our rights with little steps.
    I also remember a few years back when Seattle banned the "Buy American" slogans that a businessman had paid to advertise on Seattle's buses. Seattle claimed "Buy American" was prejudiced against the large population of Asians living in Seattle and ordered the advertisements removed from the public buses.
    Shame those in power in Seattle didn't realize that what they meant was that they did not believe that people of Asian extraction could be American

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Been a long time since I was there after being stationed at Ft. Lewis 88-92, but, there was one downtown store that was very old with basically camping and skiing gear everywhere and a big firearms section. I wonder if it's still there?

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    Fallowing the California approach. Read a article that the last remaining gun store in San Francisco I believe, close recently do to bull **** taxes. Sad really that people have been baited and lie to believe the propaganda.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Legal question here: IF this is fought in court and won would this open any doors for the tobacco industry to fight the cigarette taxes? After all, it is an extremely similar comparison of ammo boxes and cigarette packs.

OR, does the precedent of allowing cigarettes to be singled out create a legal precedent allowing ammo to be taxed in a similar fashion?

Let us make no mistake that there are MANY anti-smoking nazi's that had hoped high cigarette taxes would completely stop smoking, and they have had some success there. This is something we need to keep any eye on.

Doug

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Legal question here: IF this is fought in court and won would this open any doors for the tobacco industry to fight the cigarette taxes? After all, it is an extremely similar comparison of ammo boxes and cigarette packs.

OR, does the precedent of allowing cigarettes to be singled out create a legal precedent allowing ammo to be taxed in a similar fashion?

Let us make no mistake that there are MANY anti-smoking nazi's that had hoped high cigarette taxes would completely stop smoking, and they have had some success there. This is something we need to keep any eye on.

Doug

Maybe. But consuming tobacco products is not a specifically enumerated and protected Constitutional right. Whereas the keeping and bearing of arms is, as we all know, and "shall not be infringed". Burdensome taxes on those products necessary for the exercising of such a protected right is effectively restricting, denying, infringing that right. The same is true for cigarettes but the Constitution allows that.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Been a long time since I was there after being stationed at Ft. Lewis 88-92, but, there was one downtown store that was very old with basically camping and skiing gear everywhere and a big firearms section. I wonder if it's still there?

The one they are talking about in the article it says has been there for 40 years and also sells outdoor things. It could be the same place...

Top Bottom