• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    I saw another thread in the WTB section where a guy wanted to get a bunch of ties to use in building a backstop. Another member adamantly said not to do this and the thread was promptly closed.

I'm guessing that it's some kind of safety issue. Let's get that out in the open because I had considered building a frame with RR ties and filling with gravel, flume, sand, dirt, etc. Why is this not recommended?

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would like to know as well. I have had 3 of these type of backstops made out of railroad ties. I have to rebuild them every 5 or 6 years because they get shot to pieces. I mainly use them for handguns, shot guns and .22's.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can’t answer why the WTB thread was closed, but a lot of ranges around the country are removing the old tire, and railroad tie berms. For many years, the use of old tires and railroad ties was pretty standard. They were readily available, and convenient to work with.

What we’ve seen recently is that these materials cause a lot of ricochets and rounds skipping off at odd angles that can be a real safety hazard. What’s worse, is that over time with exposure to the elements, it seems to make the issues worse, particularly with old tires.

YMMV, but we just completed a huge range maintenance project at our local club to remove the old tire and railroad tie berm that was causing problems and shore up the earth berms around and behind.

Tinman....

cue7467

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield Indiana
    It caused some problems at my parents range at their house. Some neighbors made accusations that bullets were ricocheting. Just better off not using them as some range experts say it is an unsafe backstop.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    One of my friends built a backstop 2 ties deep, with plywood set about a half inch off the front. He has shot 9mm, 44 mag, 22 hornet, and 22 lr without issues. But there isn't a house behind it for nearly a mile. I'll be interested to see more opinions in this thread.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    When I built my first range it had a RR tie backstop. It was 2 ties deep. I never had a single problem shooting into it. I had a friend that built one that was two ties deep with dirt in between and it worked well also.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Have to always think safety first. A ricochet is not a good thing.

Mine was up for a couple of years and I shot a lot of rounds into it. Not one ricochet ever. I would screw a "new" piece of plywood over the front every so often. Old Carpet would work as well.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I saw another thread in the WTB section where a guy wanted to get a bunch of ties to use in building a backstop. Another member adamantly said not to do this and the thread was promptly closed.

I'm guessing that it's some kind of safety issue. Let's get that out in the open because I had considered building a frame with RR ties and filling with gravel, flume, sand, dirt, etc. Why is this not recommended?

Fill it with sand and dirt, not gravel and I think you would be fine or just doze up a pile of dirt and sand. Gravel really makes for a lot of richotte. Ask any one who's ever shot a suppressed gun in to gravel.

I wouldn't use tires at all in any way on the striking surface and put the ties square with the shooting line.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Ah, I think I see now. I was thinking in my head about using the RR ties to basically just give a structure to build a berm around and contain the sand trap. The sand would be what actually absorbs the impact.

I never even considered using just the ties to shoot into. Dirt and sand are much cheaper to replace than RR ties. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ah, I think I see now. I was thinking in my head about using the RR ties to basically just give a structure to build a berm around and contain the sand trap. The sand would be what actually absorbs the impact.

I never even considered using just the ties to shoot into. Dirt and sand are much cheaper to replace than RR ties. :D

I think you'll be just peachy keen set up that way.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    We used to have railroad tie backstop at our home range at the property my parents had when I was growing. I've taken two .38 spl. 148 gr. swaged lead wadcutter richochets to the head while target shooting. I actually saw one coming just before it hit me above my right eye. The other one, on a different day hit me square in the middle of the forehead. Needless to say, the impact was light and neither slug even drew blood. Although there was some bruising. The distance from the muzzle of one of my 2" snubbies to the backstop was about 50'. Also noticed quite a few richochets from old tires in a farm dumpsite in a ravine while shooting at rats with .22 rifles. Man was that challenging after they figured out someone was shooting at them. Earthen backstops for the range seem to be the best.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Hmmm...

Here's my backstop. There will be an 8" thick sand barrier built in behind the railroad ties to stop any bullets that penetrate completely through the ties.
    100_0694.jpg

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Can I ask what is wrong with tires for a backstop? I have 12 tractor tires with the sidewalls cut so they don't hold water, stacked 4 high, placed in a triangle.they've handled everything I've shot at them. I find jacket metal and lead inside of them..............:@ya:.......<>< Duce

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I would just use dirt or sand. Really thick wood like RR ties are like trees and lighter rounds or odd striking angles could ricochet.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Can I ask what is wrong with tires for a backstop? I have 12 tractor tires with the sidewalls cut so they don't hold water, stacked 4 high, placed in a triangle.they've handled everything I've shot at them. I find jacket metal and lead inside of them..............:@ya:.......<>< Duce

It's not uncommon at all for bullets to bounce off of them in all kinds of crazy angles.

Top Bottom