• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I rember seeing pictures of a Ruger SR 1911 with out any markings on the slide . The article didnt go into detail as to how they removed them? I don't see how it would be an issue I don't think it would be considered altering since its just a logo. Anyone have any idea how to go about removing the logo?

Thanks

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Meh...maybe I'm just not overly particular, but I've never really gotten myself into a twist about Ruger's often maligned "billboard" warnings on their barrels and slides, and I say that as someone with a mid-1980s M77 and Blackhawk, both of which have much bigger stamps on their barrels than the current Rugers have.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Member RustyHornet did that to his SR1911. Came out very nice. I'll post something in the CZ thread and he should drop by to say hello, or PM you.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Here is one I did. The mouse man now owns it and he's taken it much further.

It was rather simple really.

Slide was done on a belt sander, I'm gonna guess it was 80 grit. That flattened the slide and removed the laser etching. Be careful with the heat build up, obviously. Some 180 and 220 on a block or stuck to a flat surface to smooth out the 80 scratches. Could go further depending on if you wanted to polish the flats. I still need to knock down some of the sharp edges that came about with removing some of the slide material on the belt sander. Finished up in the glass bead cabinet, not a perfect replication of the Ruger finish, but close enough.

To remove the warning label on the bottom of the frame, I used a combination of some small metal files and a small sanding block with the same grits as above. Those laser etchings are deeper than you think... Finish up in the blaster, you can blast right over the serial number and Ruger marks on the side of the frame, it will lighten them slightly but nowhere close to removing them.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Wow. That really does look clean without any lettering! One could make a pretty penny offering that work for a price.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Here is one I did. The mouse man now owns it and he's taken it much further.

It was rather simple really.

Slide was done on a belt sander, I'm gonna guess it was 80 grit. That flattened the slide and removed the laser etching. Be careful with the heat build up, obviously. Some 180 and 220 on a block or stuck to a flat surface to smooth out the 80 scratches. Could go further depending on if you wanted to polish the flats. I still need to knock down some of the sharp edges that came about with removing some of the slide material on the belt sander. Finished up in the glass bead cabinet, not a perfect replication of the Ruger finish, but close enough.

To remove the warning label on the bottom of the frame, I used a combination of some small metal files and a small sanding block with the same grits as above. Those laser etchings are deeper than you think... Finish up in the blaster, you can blast right over the serial number and Ruger marks on the side of the frame, it will lighten them slightly but nowhere close to removing them.

Impressive work!

Top Bottom