AR-15 inventor would be horrified and sickened.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The family of the AR inventor Eugene Stoner says that their father designed the AR platform for military purposes only and would be "horrified and sickened" by these events.

I imagine he would've been and rightly so to see that his designed was grossly misused to commit these heinous acts.

The anti crowd sees the AR design as strictly an implement of war but the fact of the matter is, and something they will never understand is that the CIVILIAN version of the AR (yes there is a distinction) represents an all around, general, multi purpose firearm akin to a modern day musket if you will to law abiding 2nd Amendment minded individuals.

This is just another meme talking point for the antis to latch onto.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ar-15-inventor-family-meant-145455435.html

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The family of the AR inventor Eugene Stoner says that their father designed the AR platform for military purposes only and would be "horrified and sickened" by these events.

I imagine he would've been and rightly so to see that his designed was grossly misused to commit these heinous acts.

The anti crowd sees the AR design as strictly an implement of war but the fact of the matter is, and something they will never understand is that the CIVILIAN version of the AR (yes there is a distinction) represents an all around, general, multi purpose firearm akin to a modern day musket if you will to law abiding 2nd Amendment minded individuals.

This is just another meme talking point for the antis to latch onto.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ar-15-inventor-family-meant-145455435.html

I have heard "All around, general, multi purpose firearm" so many times related to the AR.

And I would agree... if the cartridge was a little bigger. .223 is just not a multi purpose cartridge, and having it compared to a musket... just seemed wrong.

Lets not pretend the AR15 is more than it is, a semi-auto light caliber lightweight rifle. Those are only good for so many things. "All Around, General, and Multi-Purpose" to me means being able to hunt with it too, and the alternative caliber offerings to date are all..... underwhelming.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have heard "All around, general, multi purpose firearm" so many times related to the AR.

And I would agree... if the cartridge was a little bigger. .223 is just not a multi purpose cartridge, and having it compared to a musket... just seemed wrong.

Lets not pretend the AR15 is more than it is, a semi-auto light caliber lightweight rifle. Those are only good for so many things. "All Around, General, and Multi-Purpose" to me means being able to hunt with it too, and the alternative caliber offerings to date are all..... underwhelming.

You are wrong. .223 will kill any critter on this continent with proper placement. Just because the unskilled have convinced the powers that be that it "isn't enough gun" doesn't mean the weapon is insufficient. Bend over backwards like that and the anti's will definitely take advantage of you. I like bigger holes in the end of the barrel too. Helps turn cover into concealment. But do not underestimate the .223/5.56.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know there is bigger game out there but people in Kentucky shoot deer with 223 all of the time. I personally don't see an issue with this. If you are taking good shots and making good hits I would have total confidence in it, while there are better options it will do the job.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Just your humble opinion of course.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What does the family think the military does with the rifle? They shoot people.

And as far as multi purpose, what other firearm can you change to dozens of completely different calibers and sighting systems by pushing out two pins?

DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    I keep hearing on fox only of course, he didn't even use an ar15. The news media just reported he did at the beginning. Nothing about what he really used.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Since people are sharing opinions I'll give mine. As far as I am aware all sporting arms throughout history were originally designed or utilized designs that were intended for military use. Yes the cosmetics might differ but the mechanics are the same. Muskets evolved into hunting rifles, the bolt action needle guns evolved into Mausers designs which evolved into hunting rifles like the Remington 700. Revolvers evolved into firearms used for hunting and sports shooting. So YES the AR-15 is the modern equivalent of the musket. It is the quentisential modern sporting rifle. Every civic minded American owes it to themselves to own a long gun suitable for defense of their home and community and the AR-15 is a fine choice. So the Eugene's family should be proud of their father's contribution to his country.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I keep hearing on fox only of course, he didn't even use an ar15. The news media just reported he did at the beginning. Nothing about what he really used.

The Orlando ISIS terrorist used a SIG variant that shares no common parts.

As for the comparison to the musket, I kind of get it. The AR can be assembled from parts made by hundreds of manufacturers - very versatile. Back in the day one did not go to the store and buy a musket...or a Hawkin rifle...one went to three different craftsmen. The Lock maker, the stock maker and the barrel maker, hence the term lock, stock and barrel. It was then up to you or a competent gunsmith to put them together and make them work.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The weapon he used is just a tool. He could have used a lever action gun and killed just as many people considering how long he was in there. For that matter he could have used a Louisville Slugger. What people should be talking about is the "gun free" zone where this took place.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You are wrong. .223 will kill any critter on this continent with proper placement. Just because the unskilled have convinced the powers that be that it "isn't enough gun" doesn't mean the weapon is insufficient. Bend over backwards like that and the anti's will definitely take advantage of you. I like bigger holes in the end of the barrel too. Helps turn cover into concealment. But do not underestimate the .223/5.56.

Ok I get what you are saying, but "turning cover into concealment" is definatly a tactical term. I am talking about the "all around general use" which I can only assume also means meat for the pot. And the powers that be saying its "not enough gun" is enough to prevent me from using it come deer season. I guess what I am saying is I wish it was a bit "more" gun than it is. So that I could use it for more things people use guns for. Its a great gun, just a little too small of a caliber. FOR ME to consider an all around gun.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Ok I get what you are saying, but "turning cover into concealment" is definatly a tactical term. I am talking about the "all around general use" which I can only assume also means meat for the pot. And the powers that be saying its "not enough gun" is enough to prevent me from using it come deer season. I guess what I am saying is I wish it was a bit "more" gun than it is. So that I could use it for more things people use guns for. Its a great gun, just a little too small of a caliber. FOR ME to consider an all around gun.

So...what you need is an AR-10 pattern rifle. I would think that .308 would meet your caliber requirements?

Here is a photo of an AR-10 on top and an AR-15 on bottom.

arfamily.jpg

Now that we have met your caliber requirements...please explain to me again why this design of rifle does not qualify as the "all purpose rifle" designation. Any legislation that is placed on the AR-15 would also by default affect the AR-10.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I get that you just don't get the intent of my post on what the popularity of the AR platform represents to so many people. Other members that have posted upthread do. Specifically I would direct you to post #9. He gets it exactly. Pro 2A like minded individuals see the AR as more than just a military purposed firearm was my point.

This was not intended to be a discussion about anyone's perceived opinions on the inadequacies of the AR platform.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For years I wouldn't have anything to do with the AR. Then my son got me one. I thought it was ugly. No wood or bluing. It looked like a ten smith put it together. Then it used a 223 round. That was the topper. There were so many better options for a rifle.

Then I took it out and shot it. After all my son got it for me. I took it out a couple times and I was hooked on the little very usable rifle. It was comfortable to shoot and wasn't bad on accuracy. The caliber still sucked. So I started looking for other rounds that could be fired through the AR that would be more of use to me.

I found that I could get it in all sorts of wild cat 45 rounds as well as some handgun rounds. Also there was the AR 30 caliber, the 6mm X 45, 6.8 and we have a winner, the 6.5 Grendel.

I built a 6mm X 45. It is a very accurate round and capable of taking deer out to 300 yards. I have rang steel out to 400 yards with it.

I then built a 6.5 Grendel. It will out preform the 308 at a 1000 yards. It's as accurate as the 6 X 45 and capable of taking deer past 300 yards using a heaver and bigger bullets.

So if you want a AR and think that the 5.56 sucks then all you have to do is pick a round and go with it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Stoner's family sound like Sara Winchester. Pretty soon they'll be building a mansion designed by the spirits of people killed by M16 / AR15's

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    C'mon. We all know the AR-15 "poodle shooter" 5.56/.223 round is only good for shooting gays and little kids. :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Utter ahistorical nonsense.

The AR-15 was on the civilian market years before General LeMay's watermelons.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I kind of wondered if the rights were sold off to allow so many manufacturers to produce spec components? If so, then how much did this family profit? If this line of thinking is correct, it seems to be a little hypocritical to criticize how the gun has been sold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom