• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    A friend of mine is going out of town for a month and does not trust his apparment complex and area of town. . He is planning to store his guns and ammo in a storgae facility like Public Storage/Shureguard.

I advised that it's likely too hot this time of year.

He's storing ammo in the green cans and the guns will be oiled up and in soft cases.

Will this cause problems with woods stocks , or wood grips?

What about the ammo?

Will the oil heat up and cause issues?

I'll check back in a few hours.
    He's too chicken to join the site.

Last edited:

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I would try to store them with a family member (maybe a friend) who I trusted before I stored them in a non climate controlled public storage facility.

It wouldn't surprise if some of the facilities had regulations against storing particular items including ammo.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK,

That's what I thought. I'd watch them for him but I've got my teenage son fling out on Sunday (one day late for the GTG!) and don;t want him to think dad's gone off the deep and end triple his collection:):

I'll suggest he try a relative. or cold storage.

Any thoughts on jsut the guns in storge?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If he's determined to use public storage he should pay the extra and get a climate controlled unit. Many storage facilities have them and the temp is well regulated in them. More than good enough for guns and ammo. He might also check with his local gun store and see if they might be willing to store them for him.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    OK,

That's what I thought. I'd watch them for him but I've got my teenage son fling out on Sunday (one day late for the GTG!) and don;t want him to think dad's gone off the deep and end triple his collection:):

I'll suggest he try a relative. or cold storage.

Any thoughts on jsut the guns in storge?

I say family or a good friend. I say you should still go ahead and do it, but when your son asks why you have so many just tell him the truth you are storing them for a friend while he is away. Shouldn't have to lie to him about something like that.

But if he's set on doing the public storage then have him try to get a climate controlled unit and make sure no one is around watching him when he puts it all in there. So no one sees what he's got in there and tries to break in and steal it.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    +1 on the climate-controlled storage. I would also do some checking with the insurance company to ensure coverage in a public storage unit. It sounds like he has enough gear to make theft or damage a big concern.

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    climate controlled storage is the way to go if it has to be done and no other options. I had a bunch of stuff in one for about 2 years and had no problems with rust or theft or anything. The place had 24 hour access and it was a small building with camera's everywhere. I worried about security for a while knowing that I didnt have enough insurance coverage to cover everything but it all worked out. To be honest I think a lot of people that store them at there house with no safe or anything are a much higher risk than a company with cameras, thick brick walls, and climate controlled rooms.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    The temperatures aren't really a problem. The humidity is the real concern. Wood and humidity change do not get along (not to mention possibility of rusting).

Top Bottom