• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Next, on Sick Sad World...

It's scary out there sometimes. I've walked away from deals because the people looked or sounded shady as all get out. If they won't leave their car, look around like a nervous rabbit or get pushy during the deal, I walk. I hate the ones where they bring a "friend". I often tell them that I'm not doing a straw purchase and leave. Made alot of enemies, but I don't care that your friend is an "expert" in Mosins or ARs, they stay in the car.

I had a guy one time DEMAND that I meet with him and got extremely pushy when I made arrangements with someone else previously. He even started "adding" to the price of the gun, "I won't be beat!", wanting to add more and more cash until it was about twice the amount I had on the gun. OBVIOUSLY a robbery attempt. I told him I would report his number to the police. Left me alone at that point.

Use common sense. Meet at VERY public places. Sure, you will get the people that freak, "OMG, He's got a gun!!!" but sure beats getting your head caved in and stuff jimmy-jacked. I always put my phone on record and speak plainly. I ALWAYS ask for the vehicle they will be in or no deal. I will record the license plate number if it looks iffy.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    wife just read me the story. i always bring the wife, armed. get there first so i can see them come up get all their info before hand . one thing i may change is if they have "company" if may walk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I vet INGOers through iTrader and their posts before I meet with them. Just met with another "friend that I'd yet to meet," today for a deal.
    Why would anyone deal with anyone but INGOers?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I don't know. I would be careful about making assumptions though.

Not really trying to make an assumption, just wondering if it was an INGO member that got robbed. The timeline is close and he hasn't been online since Monday, even though several members have responded to one of his WTS ads with both PM's and texts. The counties where he is listed as living and where the robbery took place are caddy-corner to each other. Not exactly in each other's backyard, but I've driven farther for a several hundred dollar deal before.

It sucks for any deal to go bad like that, it would suck even more if it were one of our own.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I always bring a family member when buying or selling in case the other guy wants to rob me. I didn't know that made me look shady to some folks. Though the family member always waits in the car if that makes a difference.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I vet INGOers through iTrader and their posts before I meet with them

This is my "System" also.

I have met a lot of people, and made a lot of friends during deals on INGO meets..Bill.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Always check the person out on mycase.in.gov and take the name they give you and search social media to see if they look sketchy or not.

Sorry, I won't deal with anyone who doesn't give me a name before hand that I can look up criminal records for or to see if they're idiots on Facebook.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Always check the person out on mycase.in.gov and take the name they give you and search social media to see if they look sketchy or not.

Sorry, I won't deal with anyone who doesn't give me a name before hand that I can look up criminal records for or to see if they're idiots on Facebook.

LOL..well the criminal record is fine, however the Facebook thing may mean we cannot do bidness!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I vet INGOers through iTrader and their posts before I meet with them. Just met with another "friend that I'd yet to meet," today for a deal.
    Why would anyone deal with anyone but INGOers?

Yep, same here. INGO rocks! :rockwoot:

My 72 year old Dad called and told me about this as soon as he heard about it on the news. Yet another reason why I shouldn't be doing gun deals in parking lots... :n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If I have to do all of this to make a deal the gun stays with me.
    I understand covering all the bases but again, if I can not move something on ingo or in my circle then it stays with me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Trader Paper...............30 yrs ago.
    Wild goose chase to find motorcycle in Southern IN.

Bud wanted me to tag along, had nothing to do. Neither of us armed.
    Never found the bike...........never went shopping again without sidearm.

20 yrs ago bought a wrecked Jeep in some burg, guy was cool, deal was struck.
    On pick up day he was late, and arrived rather mental.

Buddy and I were both armed, everything smoothed out when that was mentioned.

Top Bottom