• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Ok lets say someone in your family passes who lived out of stae (Missouri) and left you thier (sizeable) firearms collection would you have to go through a FFA dealer to legaly get them to Indiana ? And sorry if this is a dumb question !

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    FIREARMS

i do not think you would have a problem going to get them.i would load the car and make a weekend trip out of it.sorry it took a loss for you to get the goodies.i have gotten a few that way.every time you look at them just reminds you of the good times you had while they were here.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    § 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful—

<snip>

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    If dad goes his guns are mine.... No ffl or legal crap. I just walk out the door with them and mom will give me leftovers and a hug. The end

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    If dad goes his guns are mine.... No ffl or legal crap. I just walk out the door with them and mom will give me leftovers and a hug. The end

My dad passed away in the last year. And that is exactly what happened. But, he was also in Indiana.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My only advice is to take the long way home (i.e. drive around Illinois on the way home).

Yes it's worth the gas money - and the peace of mind.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Ok lets say someone in your family passes who lived out of stae (Missouri) and left you thier (sizeable) firearms collection would you have to go through a FFA dealer to legaly get them to Indiana ? And sorry if this is a dumb question !

First, sorry for your loss.
    Second, it is not a dumb question.

If you wanted them shipped to you, the answer is yes, you would have to do the FFL deal.

If you are going to go there to pay your respects, then they can just ride home with you, discretely. Don't speed, check all your brake lights and turn signals, and just drive home carefully.

I have driven from the west coast (San Diego) to the east coast (Boston) 5 days and 3000 miles, and I did not get stopped once or even given a second look. Just don't break any traffic laws, and you won't even be noticed.

That's what I would do, but then, I am not a lawyer. :twocents:

Top Bottom