Who Cleans Their Magazines When They Clean Their Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Glock mags are not too hard to disassemble.
    Just takes a couple of tricks..

Hold the button in with a punch then push one of the corners of the rear of the mag hard against a table or hard surface.
    Then it will come apart.

I would not advise taking apart a Glock mag every time you shoot the pistol as it will mar the plastic mag locking notch and could potentially make the mag less reliable.

You can easily clean a mag by wiping the top inside of it out with a rag then spray a bit of oil into the count holes.
    Load and unload the mag to function check.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I've thought about doing it. All I currently own are Glocks. Never cleaned the mags. Never had a problem. I only clean the pistol every thousand rounds or so.

Now when my wife had her Taurus I had to clean that thing after every time we shot. Mags included.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I clean my Beretta and Sig mags after every time I shoot. just part of my ritual, after I shoot I disasemble every thing, including mags and I consider it part of my "ME" time.
    This go's for all of my stuff though, I ride the dirtbike- clean it, change the oil, check/oil chain etc. same with the quads.. Done working on a car,clean my tools and So on.
    It makes me feel better and whenever I go to sell something It helps because every one that knows me, knows how I am.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    I usually clean the magazine every 2nd or 3rd time I clean the gun. There's a neat Glock magazine tool available at GTUL. Makes disassembly a snap and the brush can also be used on other magazines. Someone here turned me on to the "gtul' a couple of months back.

Last edited:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I clean my Glock mags every time I clean the gun. It's probably not necessary, but I've got a clever tool to help so its not a big deal. I'm using a GTUL (GTUL), which is $9.95 by itself or you can get the tool with a brush/punch for $19.95. There is a video on the site that shows you how it works and...trust me on this one...it really does work just that well.

No, I don't get roalties from Greg at GTUL, but I like this tool so well I bought one for a fellow Glock owner.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    It is always good to at least inspect and clean every so often. I just use the top of a plastic pen cap or whatever I have for the Sig mags. I haven't tried the Glock yet but there is not much to a mag anyways. Mine have always stayed pretty clean and lubed. I usually fill the mag up and slide rounds out to test the function/spring tension.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lol... The only time I clean my mags are after they've been in the water/mud.

Hehehehe, it's cute to see all the newbies and/or ppl who own one or two guns.... I remember back when I was that way. Don't worry, for most ppl that wears off. Especially when you start ruining spring/floorplates ect. ect.

This reminds me of ppl who completely break down bolts after every time they fire... They are hurting more than they are helping.

It's your gun(s) and money, do what you like ;)

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Lol... The only time I clean my mags are after they've been in the water/mud.

Hehehehe, it's cute to see all the newbies and/or ppl who own one or two guns.... I remember back when I was that way. Don't worry, for most ppl that wears off. Especially when you start ruining spring/floorplates ect. ect.

This reminds me of ppl who completely break down bolts after every time they fire... They are hurting more than they are helping.

It's your gun(s) and money, do what you like ;)

Making sure they work is the most important lol. After getting them caked in dirt etc. then they need to be disassembled and cleaned. The floor plates and springs will be fine as long as you don't try and use too much pressure etc. If the springs have good tension and they cycle well then you don't have to disassemble. Inspection is also important to check for burrs or wear on the spring and follower.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    As much as I hate to agree, my gun cleaning fetish is probably not as necessary as I make it out to be in my mind. Actually, I know it's not necessary to clean the mags every time I clean the gun (unless I drop them in the wrong places), but I like doing it and have been that way for years.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Well, I never cleaned my Sig P220 mags and they jammed a few times. My Sig Pro mags get inspected about every year and my Glock and AR-10 haven't been in the dirt or rain yet lol. The 870 has a tube mag so its not as big of a deal though lol. It would be good to at least inspect every so often to prevent a malfunction when you need it :twocents:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I have never cleaned a mag in my life. Only the AR guys gotta windex there whole rifle 3 times a day to make sure it goes boom. My rifles just need ammo. Dirty ammo prefered :)

Handguns you say? I carry a CZ-75 in solid stainless steal. Dirty ammo, dirty mags, dirty gun.... bang bang bang. :)

Top Bottom