• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have always wanted a plate rack. But I did not want to spend the money on one. I recently learned how to weld and decided it was time to build my own. A local steel company was having a huge steel sale and for once, it seemed like the stars aligned. I bought 142 pounds of steel and 2 12x12 AR500 plates. Total metal cost, with the AR500 plates was $145. I was beyond excited.

I bought a 3/8 inch angle which I hoped would be strong enough, and it was. I bought DOM for the pivots. Some square tubing. And of course the AR500.

IMG_1315_zpscuhkfbow.jpg

I wanted this to be super portable and I wanted it close to the ground. I have a decent back stop at one of the places I shoot. But the other locations are not as good. So I figured the downward angle of the shots would be helpful.

After tacking together the legs and the angle it was starting to take shape.

IMG_1317_zpscga56ufc.jpg

Next I tacked on the square pieces. These would serve two purposes. One, to push the plate out from the angle, so the plates would sit on an angle. Two, to mount the DOM.

IMG_1318_zpsbm6bkkvk.jpg

IMG_1322_zpsolxzv6ar.jpg

After carefully cutting the AR500 with a plasma cutter, I got those welded and test fit.

IMG_1323_zpsldpmtien.jpg

IMG_1324_zpsb6hfs0ug.jpg

I thought my welding was pretty good for just learning! It was also time to finish welding everything together. The snot on the plate came off after it was shot a few times.

IMG_1354_zps2fybmqkb.jpg

I then added a reset.

IMG_1391_zpsbw4obyr9.jpg

She was ready for her maiden voyage. I figured I would paint it later. I was very pleased how easy it was to take apart. I could do it myself, if I needed to. It set up as easily as I imagined, I love it when a plan comes together.

IMG_1424_zpsunmfqoa5.jpg

IMG_1425_zpsvklcnaj6.jpg

The first shots proved very promising. We ended shooting it with 9, 40, 45. Everything looked great. We even got silly and shot it with steel core 5.45. No problem at all! Shooting with a buddy made it fun. The angle held up great to all the pistol caliber rounds. It even stopped the 5.45. Yes there was a hole, but it did not pass all the way through.

Here are two videos, I wish I knew how to make them, so you did not have to click the link. The safety worked very well in the first video. :):

[video]http://vid1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah243/zogs19/IMG_1426.MOV_zpsxvdeeomi.mp4[/video]

[video]http://vid1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah243/zogs19/IMG_0090.MOV_zpsoheyrjsh.mp4[/video]

Even the wife had fun, but of course would not listen to my suggestions for closed toe shoes. 10 years later you would think I would have realized she knows more than me…. :rolleyes:

IMG_1428_zpssk1da26h.jpg

I could not be happier. It is not as pretty as one I would have purchased from a retailer. For well under $200, I finally have a very functional plate rack, that appears will last me for a very long time.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Looks great. Nice welds. :yesway:

I'll take some pics of our 'racks' tonight and post them...

Also, get a can of marking paint to spray the plates. We use orange or green.

2old2bfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    Columbus
    Nice job on the plate rack.
    I'd like to see more pics of different plate rack designs. How they're constructed, etc...
    How about those pics Padawan?

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Nice job on the plate rack.
    I'd like to see more pics of different plate rack designs. How they're constructed, etc...
    How about those pics Padawan?

Got side tracked last night... I'll get them tonight.

EDIT: Found 2 on my phone from this summer. We just set up at our max range of 225. There is not much detail of the rack but you get the idea. I'll get some more detailed pics tonight. Fortunately, we had access to a bunch of angled galvanized steel and bolts so it was like an erector set assembly. Used 3/8" chain and gr 8 bolts. The bars accross the top are 5/8"-18" all thread. We used spacers between the plates and chain to allow the plate to tilt down. You don't see it at distance but it lets the round go downward. These are 2 of what we call a 1x. We also have some 2x that are double width. Again, it was all due the fact we had these galv steel pieces already and didn't have to cut anything. What makes them handy is that we can easily load them up in the small wagon behind the 4-wheeler and run them out to place them.

IMG_20160704_191914.jpg IMG_20160704_191920.jpg They are/were actually sitting like this. There are beans grown up now.
    3" + 6" on this one. 8" on this one.
    40g Noslers that were zeroed at 100. We were working on hold over and using the BDC reticle. This was our first go at 225.
    Sorry about the file size. Let it load and maybe you can get some detail.

A fun thing is, we left a set out for the summer at our 150 mark. We had .22 shoot day. My Son was lobbing in SK Lapua .22LR at 150 and thats how he started his 'dope' chart. 22LRs dont hit these plate very hard at 150 so I had to spot him to watch for hits. You had to put your man card on the table because it was windy and hot that day.

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Love that story!

Something similar will be my next project! Thanks for posting pics and materials. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Love that story!

Something similar will be my next project! Thanks for posting pics and materials. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

One BIG piece of advice that has been stated on other threads.... DO NOT go cheap on your steel plates. Buy quality real AR500 steel. It will last a very long time. We went cheap years ago because we had 1/2" thick 4"x6" mild steel plates to use. They got very pitted after repeated HP hits.

Buy once cry once on the plates.

Dad has to brag a little... Those hits above are from my 12 year old using 40gr Nosler Polys at his first 225yd outing.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    OP, where did you pick up the AR500 and is it still on sale? I could use a couple square pieces!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Just the mild steel was on sale. The AR500 has not been on sale yet.

The steel shop is Warner Steel. Raymond and 65 in Indy. It's a cool shop. You can buy brand new steel and he will cut it for FREE to any length you want.

Or you can buy the "drops" which are whatever is left after he cuts for a customer. He will not cut the drops for you. I THINK normal drop price is $0.60 a pound. His sale was $0.45.

The AR plates are 12x12 inch with 2 holes to hang it from and are $35 plus tax. I'm impressed so far. Handled all the pistol calibers with round nose, flat and hp. No marks at all. And it took the 5.45 steel core like a champ. He said he is hoping to offer different sizes and shapes as demand increases.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just the mild steel was on sale. The AR500 has not been on sale yet.

The steel shop is Warner Steel. Raymond and 65 in Indy. It's a cool shop. You can buy brand new steel and he will cut it for FREE to any length you want.

Or you can buy the "drops" which are whatever is left after he cuts for a customer. He will not cut the drops for you. I THINK normal drop price is $0.60 a pound. His sale was $0.45.

The AR plates are 12x12 inch with 2 holes to hang it from and are $35 plus tax. I'm impressed so far. Handled all the pistol calibers with round nose, flat and hp. No marks at all. And it took the 5.45 steel core like a champ. He said he is hoping to offer different sizes and shapes as demand increases.

Thanks! I think I may buy a couple off of him!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    More rack pics... It was late evening so the lighting is not so good but you'll get the idea. The 2x width uses a 5/8" ground rod we found with plastic pipe as spacers. It was long enough to put a mower blade as a spinner on the end. Side pic shows how we used the galvanized angle irons we had. We had a bunch of those perforated pieces. They are not beauty queens but they work well...

IMG_20160811_201857 (Medium).jpg IMG_20160811_201908 (Medium).jpg IMG_20160811_202013 (Medium).jpg IMG_20160811_202024 (Medium).jpg

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    More rack pics... It was late evening so the lighting is not so good but you'll get the idea. The 2x width uses a 5/8" ground rod we found with plastic pipe as spacers. It was long enough to put a mower blade as a spinner on the end. Side pic shows how we used the galvanized angle irons we had. We had a bunch of those perforated pieces. They are not beauty queens but they work well...

Great stuff! Love the spinner! Jealous...

Top Bottom