• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was just curious as to how many folks here use hearing and eye protection when shooting where its not required.

ive never been to a actual range i just shoot on ours and neiboring farms. there for no hearing protection was required so i never used any until the last 6 months or so. my father who is 59 has never used any either. he never shot as much as i do but in the last year or so ive noticed the one word in the english language he uses most is hu or what did you say. so about 6 months ago i decided to start using hearing protection. i still dont use eye protection but probably should.

so i guess the moral of the story is protection actually is required if you want to keep your hearing until old age. im glad i didn't wait until later than 28 to start using them. i know my kids will use them from the start

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I always use eyes and ears, especially since I have had my hearing protection fail (broken) and now have hearing damage!

But I even use ears and eyes in my shop, cutt'n grass, chainsaw; ext

They're irreplaceable. Once damaged....always damaged!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Of course I never even knew such stuff existed growing up. I did get some ear stuff when I bought a .44 mag about 20 years ago. I still don't usually wear it if I am using a .22 outside.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive never really used eye protection but i guess it couldn't hurt. im like most of you and still dont use it for a 22 although i have a smith k frame that when i shoot it i will. that thing is loud for a 22.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I am bad about not using eye protection. I always use ears unless I am shooting .22 rifle.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Both, always, if at all possible (except when suppressed & sometimes even then). I had a round explode in my face when younger w/o eyes on.:ugh: I saw the pretty orance & yellow flames. No damage to me, but I don't expect my guardian angel to take a load of shrapnel & hot gasses to his hand again. I'll wear the eyes & ears all the time now!:oldwise:

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I always use the glasses. I wear glasses already do it's not a big deal for me to put on safety glasses for shooting. I also am one to use hearing protection. I already wear a hearing aid so I know more than some what it's like to not be able to hear certain things. I try to conserve and protect the hearing I have.

Greg

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Always ear protection (even with .22), but rarely eye protection. I always bring an extra set of ear plugs for my step father (I usually shoot on his farm) but he always turns me down. "Doesn't make a difference now," he tells me.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I always use both, and when shooting an AR, I usually use ear plugs and ear muffs, it is very loud. My hearing is not that good anymore, so I try to protect it the best that I can.

Dave

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I usually just wear my sunglasses for eye protection, serves good double purpose. For ears, with my .22 and shotgun I tend to just use plugs so I can get a good cheek weld, and they aren't all that loud. For my .40 I usually wear muffs because my ears ring if I don't. Don't know what I'm gonna do when I start shooting my .308 because I feel the sound will require muffs, but they are kind of counter productive when trying to get a good cheek weld.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Hearing loss is accumulative. The more loud noises your ears are exposed to contributes to gradual hearing loss or worse. I know that now...

Eyes are more important yet. I would make sure to wear a pair of ballistic eye wear any time you are shooting. It might be some other firearm besides yours that goes kaboom.

You have two eyes and two ears. Neither should be considered as a spare.

Top Bottom