• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, I was at Parabellum this afternoon, shooting several of my HK roller lock hosts with my full auto registered sear. I was finishing up the session by shooting my very first host (and possibly still favorite), my plain jane Coharie MP5 SBR. I was a few mags into it when I had what I thought was a jam. Not super out of the ordinary for the cheap Korean mags I've been using (since actual HK mags are made out of unobtanium, which I guess justifies their $75 to $100 each price tag).

Anyway, I did what I normally do, I dropped the mag, racked the charging handle, saw the empty shell casing that was jamming up the works fall out, reseated the mag, performed the patented HK slap, and then stopped... I noticed that that the bolt wasn't fully into battery. So I repeated the above steps, dropping the live round out this time and then reseated the mag, did the slap, and noticed it still wouldn't go into battery.

With a sinking feeling, I dropped the mag and locked the bolt, then started peeking into the chamber (not the easiest thing to do with an MP5 since it's ahead of the ejection port a bit. I couldn't really get a good view, so I used my phone's flashlight at the muzzle, to see if that would illuminate the chamber. But, it stayed dark.

I pulled the retaining pin, pulled the stock and lower off, and then pulled out the guide rod and bolt. With an unobstructed view from the back, I could see something coppery in the chamber. Apparently, I had a round squib on me and the bullet got stuck just at the end of the chamber.

I realized now how lucky I had just been. If that bullet had gone a little bit further and let me chamber the next round, at the miminum, I would have really damaged my barrel. At worst, I would have blown up my gun and possibly injured myself.

I got home a little bit ago and tamped out the bullet.

s0NIZUHcsD5OKPSv2FmrLI12vp-QVIfz5Ur2yodewkPLzgrT2jv7rKJtEUk6dE2a88sKJmig-OgGYT6q5b78GXWnDo9LE1ZbBrswFxMc2skfGeiqwA_duFqA_ICx-tros3SYdAwW-umLYPT99iKaFST8N0417imEqktzFh19pA_S1RGz9q-VBikYMhsv4AxocaLm4xcYXU4BtT3hx6gWwi9sv-dMxZjCOj52LcgZ34eZp6Z9j_pw3-nL8Qrk-2bidkcM-GzvsZsarS3hYPingjlSAJbVaRy_JiGzfrc3Uf0zkrQE8Ibebmez9uWXuIPfS-QUZHC0mXf-Z0OtMTcNo-pOnm756SkPQnRp2POI-zuevZYe442ZD7EGiRahqfv34PMtyI9n9GvBVoWAj8VEe4_IfqfjTV5cGJA9pB61VZb6PDrxE5XvIKmqdwktx4hUi2BMoJvzeRYaJD4YtQaupO_2VCy6rLAd4eEp_ClRLbRRdcB1-N1vB14rtCcFdnKYfX6JOOzWLF7f2XftoJgf9D677cBjlYeAb1MUoIXbLVklfi2NVUrSKoArS5WSfkSLaWGPGpMkhUnWfmsKkQGRQnfcWdMu7VI4=w450-h599-no

So, let that be a lesson to you. If a gun jams on you, make absolutely sure that the chamber/barrel is clear before you reseat your mag and go on shooting. The extra couple seconds are not worth damaging your gun or your face.

I'm going to contact the manufacturer of the ammo and let them know what happened.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Crazy that a 9mm was so under-powered it didn't even get halfway down the barrel.

Glad everything is well. Now I'm questioning if I would have noticed myself. Something to watch for.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Good job being observant. Glad no damage to your gun or body. Curious to know what type of ammo you were using. I had a similar experience with Fiochi 9mm.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Glad it had a happy ending! There but for the grace of God... I had a Colt Police Positive and thought I'd load up some "light" 38 special rounds for it (since it looked so "delicate" compared to modern revolvers). Second round that I fired sounded a "little" off, but not enough to make me think it had squibbed. 3rd round, there was a flash and a puff of smoke from the sides of the front of the cylinder. Opened it up, and sure enough, couldn't see any light. I took it to my gunsmith to have the bullets (yes, plural :n00b:) after trying unsuccessfully with a wooden dowel and a hammer. He inspected the barrel and there was no bulging, so I lucked out that I didn't hurt the gun or myself. And it's a testament to the strength of those little "delicate" revolvers!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Very nice to see nothing got damaged and no one was hurt.
    Back in the early 1990's I had a squib load in a brand new S&W 5906 I just bought. Round discharge sounded odd and slide was not fully into battery. I had to knock out the bullet with a hammer and punch. Same day, same box of ammo, different gun, this time a Tec-9 that belonged to a buddy. Needless to say, that box of ammo did not get used again.

FiveFiveSix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've been seeing more of these stories on a couple facebook groups Im in. Interesting, glad it hasnt happened to me yet. Knock on wood. Glad you and your weapon are good to go.

Top Bottom