• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    It's been 40 years since I hiked the bean fields of central Indiana looking for, and shooting, Hoosier groundhogs. I now have a September trip planned for Colorado which will include some prairie dog eradication on the ranch where I will be staying while archery pronghorn hunting.

I have a Rem 700 ADL in .22-.250 with a sporter weight barrel. I figure the shots won't be any fun unless the dogs are at least 200 yards distant. I realize that all kinds of things factor into long distance shooting. Rifle capability, ammo accuracy and repeatability, scope clarity and magnification, heat shimmer, etc.

Was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to give me a refresher course and do a spot check of my equipment. I haven't shot the Remington in at least 30 years and I have some handloads that have been on the shelf for probably that long as well.

I have my own place to shoot out to 200 yards - possibly 300 if I stretch it.

Anyone located in central Indiana that is a center fire rifle accuracy nut and would be willing to spend a little time helping me out ?

Thanks in advance.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    M.O.P.D. (minute of prairie dog) shouldn't be that difficult to hold at 200 yards, if you remember the basics* and use decent ammo.

*-Basics = B.R.A.S.S. (breath, relax, aim, sight, squeeze)
    rinse and repeat...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Something else we can talk about now is ranging. If it were me, I would be taking my laser rangefinder and ranging calculator. The scope on my rifle has a known and verified zero (100 yds). On each day, I would determine distance and calculate elevation & windage based on conditions and distance. If you haven't yet, start considering how you are going to deal with this. Curious what make / model of scope is on the gun and if you by chance have a rangefinder.

Your trip will be much more enjoyable if you avoid doing it the way the old artillery guys do it. Estimate, fire for effect, triangulate. :rolleyes:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    John's got your back here. Take an LRF to the range, get solid dope every 50 yards through, say, 400 yards? (however long you can get), and verify your scopes mounting and tracking at the same time.

Put together a verified dope card, with some simple 1 mph windage estimates thrown in from JBM, tape it to the support hand side of the stock, just aft of the recoil lug, and make SURE to fully tape it with clear mailing tape and seal the edges. Sweaty hands carry the rifle right about there...don't ask... :n00b:

Good luck,

-Nate

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And be sure to take a 22 rifle. You might be surprised by dogs under 100 yards. After you recover from the surprise, it is lots of fun blasting them. I found that out on a Wyoming trip a year ago. I thought the short range shots to be a lot more fun. And cheaper. Good luck....

Edit to add..... I even got a couple with a 2 3/4 inch barrel SP 101 shooting 38 special 158 SWC at about 20 yards. I wished I brought a 22 handgun too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom