A guy from Ohio calls about my post on INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have a closed thread in the classifieds for a pistol I was going to sell. Thread has been closed for a couple days. A guy texts me today and says he has cash and wants to meet tomorrow. He's from Columbus Ohio and wants to meet in Dayton. My gut says hell no. What do you say?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I have a closed thread in the classifieds for a pistol I was going to sell. Thread has been closed for a couple days. A guy texts me today and says he has cash and wants to meet tomorrow. He's from Columbus Ohio and wants to meet in Dayton. My gut says hell no. What do you say?

Has to go through an FFL, so if he's a bad guy hopefully the NICS check will catch it, if that is your concern.

Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    id do it if he wants to go through a ffl but i took from your post he wants a ftf
    He just said he wants to meet somewhere in Dayton. Why would he drive 2 hours for an XD? I know they sell them in Columbus OH. My ad was for a NIB XD. It's not a bad deal, but it's not a bargain either.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Would it be legal for you to do a ftf private sale in Ohio? I know you can in Indiana.....if yes, then it's just a question of whether you still want to sell the gun and/or if it would be worth driving to Dayton.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    IF you meet at a gun dealer/FFL and do the deal there via a BATF form = Do It

IF he wants to hand you cash and Walk = Run Away or See you in Jail.

The latter may be a criminal, idiot, or ATF agent. You pick.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    good question. they don't honor our LTCH do they

The do not for carry. If you have a Utah or FL permit, you are good. Otherwise store the pistol in a locked container with ammo & mag in a separate container and transport is good. The trunk is your friend.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you are a resident of Indiana and you travel to Ohio to sell this guy a pistol even if you take it to an FFl dealer,it is not legal.When you want a pistol to go to another state,you ship the pistol to an FFL in that state.Some dealers will not accept a pistol from an individual and make you go thru an FFL dealer here.Anything else makes you guilty of interstate trafficing of a firearm.Here is the breakdown via Gunbroker:

GunBroker.com Seller's Tutorial

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...even if you take it to an FFl dealer,it is not legal.When you want a pistol to go to another state,you ship the pistol to an FFL in that state....[/url]

I am confused. Your position is that he could Fedex it to Joe's Gun Shop in Dayton from Indy, but not drive it there?

If the FFL will take it either way, where does the BATF claim the difference is?

Your link to Gunbroker reads:

If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, the buyer must make arrangements with a licensed dealer in his state to receive the firearm and transfer it to the buyer.

I see nothing in that which would preclude driving the gun to the FFL for the FFL to make the transfer.

What am I missing?

Top Bottom