• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    So, I was reading American Handgunner today and the very last article is a column by Roy Huntington. It's a very well-written article and is worth the read.

[FONT=&quot]Read Speak Out in this issue and you'll see a letter from "J.R." who is a young 26 year old and new to gunowning. He talks about how he feels as if he's an outsider and how many of we "old-timers" have shunned him and acted as if they didn't want to be bothered by his questions. He compared it to not being able to get a job unless you have a union card, and not being able to get a union card unless you have a job. He wondered: How can he get the experience if older, experienced gun-hands won't give him the time of day? And he's right.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]While some of us may feel we are part of an elite club and have earned our merit badges the hard way, at the same time I feel a strong sense of obligation to put that same experience to work for all of us. I talked a bit about this in "Amateurs And Experts" (Insider, Jan/Feb, 2009) and encouraged all of us to use our knowledge to teach, reach out to the community and share our passion for what we do to help it grow. But I think it takes more.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Today's unprecedented buying frenzy seems to be bringing a good number of new shooters into the fray. Dealers report many of their customers are people either brand-new to shooting and gun-owning, or people who are very inexperienced--yet concerned about the future.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]These new shooters are buying entry-level firearms, modest supplies of ammunition, safety glasses, ear protection, cleaning accessories, gun cases and storage products. That's great news, good for the industry and good for the new shooters that dealers are steering them in the right directions. But then what?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]That's the important part of this equation. These same new friends of ours need to feel just that--a welcome into the fraternity. They need to feel as if we're friends, because we should be. We need to reach out to them when we see them, perhaps ill-at-ease at the range, or confused as they stand at a gun store counter. We need to help them as they sort out sighting-in, safety issues, basic skills, where and how to find valid information--and not just Internet hysteria. We need to offer our hands in friendship, assistance and encouragement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If this concern over our future has brought tens of thousands toward owning their first gun, introducing them to "our side" of the equation, then we'd be silly--even just plain stupid--if we don't embrace this stunning opportunity to both grow our ranks and educate even more people.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Do you remember walking into that strange gun store for the first time and knowing right away it seemed as if you were disturbing their day? The cranky guy behind the counter, the one with the cheap 9mm hanging in frayed nylon holster, eyed you almost with hostility--as if asking you silently: "What are you doing here? We don't know you." The dog growled, the floor was filthy, inventory sat ignored on dusty shelves and the air was still and stuffy. Remember that? Remember how you felt? You could hardly wait to get out of that place. I couldn't wait either.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And that time at the range when all the locals ignored you, acted put-out when you asked for a pause so you could put your target up. Stood in a corner and looked over at you as they talked quietly? Remember that day? I do, and it kills a new shooter's enthusiasm mercilessly. It almost killed mine once.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So shame on us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Let's take this opportunity and turn it around for the good. When you see a new shooter at the range, in a store, at the magazine rack or anywhere, say hi. Reach out, offer a hand, make a friend, and don't make them feel silly for asking questions, embarrassed by their poor first-performance on the firing line, or confused, without a direction to reach for solid help. If you see a gun store clerk mis-handle a new customer, maybe stop them outside and offer your own assistance, guidance, or as a resource to answer questions. A positive smile, a "hey, I've been there myself" comment or two and a simple offer to answer some basic questions will turn someone who might have only been curious, into someone added to our ranks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And if you do it--good for you. Good for us.[/FONT]

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I just don't see it that way. If someone asks me a question I help them out. If they want to shoot my gun at the range I usually pass them a loaded magazine and say go at it. If they appear like they need some guidance I give it. Anyone I know that has never shot a gun gets a free range trip on me if they are interested. Maybe we are just friendly here in Indiana?

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I think you are right. I think for the most part, Indiana is a pretty relaxed place that has a Southern US attitude but is in the North. Though, I can remember first starting out with guns a few years ago. I went to Blythe's in Valpo and rented a 9mm and fired a hundred rounds on the range and my interest peaked. The guys who worked there knew I didn't know anything about guns but I was interested. They took their time to show me some basics and before I went into the range, the guy said, "Have fun." I started researching and learning about firearms and doing a lot of window shopping. But, I still notice some guys have attitudes and are crotchety because they are always like that or are not interested in explaining things to people who obviuosly don't have knowledge.

I liked this article because I think it is a good reminder of our responsibility to educate others regarding firearms. And, especially because of the boom in new shooters and purchasers.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I always try to help out people in need at the local range;

Ranging from malfunctions, sighting in, some general safety, targets, hearing protection, general knowledge.

And for those who show interest in my rifles I always let them shoot my ammo and guns. The ammo I let people shoot at the local range is easily in the hundreds of rounds a year.

We need all the new shooters we can get these days. It's only for our better.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I subscribe that magazine, and read that article. I whole heartedly agree and have always tried to help someone who needs it. I lost count how many times I've given earplugs to people (it's LOUD here). And like the rant on another post,I'm dumbfounded how little a LOT of folks know about shooting in general. Muzzle discipline,what's that? I like to help others out, some don't like it, some do.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    When I first got into guns, I felt a similar way. I did not feel shunned by the older crowd but I found that not knowing anyone (literally) my age who was into guns ,was a bit if a struggle. Luckily a few good friends of mine had dads into guns and they took me under their wing a bit. I know youth can be irritating, but remember that they're carrying on the torch of the 2nd amendment. If they aren't, they should be.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    I think you are right. I think for the most part, Indiana is a pretty relaxed place that has a Southern US attitude but is in the North. Though, I can remember first starting out with guns a few years ago. I went to Blythe's in Valpo and rented a 9mm and fired a hundred rounds on the range and my interest peaked. The guys who worked there knew I didn't know anything about guns but I was interested. They took their time to show me some basics and before I went into the range, the guy said, "Have fun." I started researching and learning about firearms and doing a lot of window shopping. But, I still notice some guys have attitudes and are crotchety because they are always like that or are not interested in explaining things to people who obviuosly don't have knowledge.

I liked this article because I think it is a good reminder of our responsibility to educate others regarding firearms. And, especially because of the boom in new shooters and purchasers.

The BOOM in new shooters......HEH HEH I like that!:draw:

I too try to help out when I can. Somebody helped me, so I do likewise.

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    i def fealt weird when i got into guns just a year or so ago specially gunshop owners and workers, but i was not going to let them discurage me and now only a year later those same ppl see me and usually acknowledge me right away after they saw that i was tenacious and was going to get, do what i wanted with or without them, just like anyone you feel more comfortable with someone the more you see em, and ive taken lots of freinds shooting at ranges since then on me just for fun as to not be so stand offish and see the fun and importance in our gun culture.

Top Bottom