• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I always thought if I was to approach a shooting line, to bring my gear to a bench............that it was proper to wear ear protection, regardless if others were firing or not.

Guess not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I was wearing ears, but wasn't shooting, preparing to.
    Some people came to the line with gear, no ears...........and proceeded to mess around for a few minutes, still not putting ears on.
    Rimfires, they actually started shooting (no suppressors) and still did not put on ears.

I just sat there for about 10 minutes and then said "hey, mine's gonna be loud" and they put them on.
    Uncasing their stuff, at least one carried a rifle to another bench, pointing it at the head of their partner.

Was in no hurry, but expect folks to maybe try to look around and not be imposing/rude/stupid.

Too much I know.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Another peeve of mine, idiots at some indoor ranges that exit the range without waiting for a lull. Makes it rather noisy for some not on the range (adjacent areas).

Not in a hurry, just clueless. Usually come off the range to blab to their GF or BF or whatever.

Just in and out, never looking back or even trying to check.

Not just FB punks, but old timers and all sorts. Freakin' clueless shmucks.
    Lost in their own little tacticool/FB worlds.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Range. There's shootin' going on (or will soon be).
    Parking area close enough one should probably put ears on before leaving vehicle.
    But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I dunno man, those 16" and shorter AR's under a covered line...........are wicked.
    Slapped my ears on before I got out of the truck.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    People are stupid.

If the line is hot, put on your ear pro. I especially hate it when I remind someone to put on their ear pro and they act like I am putting them out somehow. It is beyond me. When someone reminds me to put mine on, I am grateful. I like hearing things and want to keep hearing things for many years.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I always thought if I was to approach a shooting line, to bring my gear to a bench............that it was proper to wear ear protection, regardless if others were firing or not.

Guess not.

Only if one wants to protect their hearing. Though, it would be poor etiquette to shift the burden of that individual choice and responsibility to others on the shooting line.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's comical how stupid some people can be at the range.
    Yes, I always don my ear-pro right before I get out of the car whenever I go to the range.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Personally I think part of the issue at ranges is there are gun owners who are true enthusiasts who train, practice etc and have developed safe gun handling skills and range habits. Then there are those who have a gun they occasionally go shoot with their also untrained friends and when you call something to their attention....well they just don't get it.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    The same thing happened to me yesterday. I told a guy I was going to start shooting, he ignored me. Then I asked if if I was good to go, he nodded. The whole time his ear pro were around his neck. Finally, I asked him if wanted to put his muffs on, he told me I was fine. So, I shot. 3 shots in he finally covered his ears.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Mine is the F-Tards that figure that they paid for the lane it includes "clean up on aisle five"................come on, return your shot up target, (you ain't impressing me), sweep out the cubicle of brass, is all I ask.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The same thing happened to me yesterday. I told a guy I was going to start shooting, he ignored me. Then I asked if if I was good to go, he nodded. The whole time his ear pro were around his neck. Finally, I asked him if wanted to put his muffs on, he told me I was fine. So, I shot. 3 shots in he finally covered his ears.

That would be the ideal time to bring out a .300 Weatherby with a muzzle break or a .500 S&W.
    Guarantee he'd be in so much pain after the first shot without ear pro that he'd nearly drop it in the panic to get it on.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Another peeve of mine, idiots at some indoor ranges that exit the range without waiting for a lull. Makes it rather noisy for some not on the range (adjacent areas).

Not in a hurry, just clueless. Usually come off the range to blab to their GF or BF or whatever.

Just in and out, never looking back or even trying to check.

Not just FB punks, but old timers and all sorts. Freakin' clueless shmucks.
    Lost in their own little tacticool/FB worlds.

I'm glad the indoor range I shoot at most is setup very well for this. There are two spaces separated by doors to enter and exit the range. It's pretty much impossible to have a direct sound path from the range to the shop, unless someone is doing it intentionally.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm glad the indoor range I shoot at most is setup very well for this. There are two spaces separated by doors to enter and exit the range. It's pretty much impossible to have a direct sound path from the range to the shop, unless someone is doing it intentionally.

Most, if not every, indoor range I've been at has a room between the range and shop with doors on either end. I guess it was a problem and they started building ranges accordingly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Most, if not every, indoor range I've been at has a room between the range and shop with doors on either end. I guess it was a problem and they started building ranges accordingly.

The worst I can remember was at BGF. I loved everything else about the range, but the space between the two doors was very, very small and there was almost no way to close one door before you opened the other if you had a long gun. Both Point Blank locations have 6 - 10 feet between the doors, which is a lot nicer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not all of the shooters are new.
    Some indeed have been around.
    90% however are clueless and or rude.
    Maybe overreacting since 85% of the general populace is A hole.

There is a room at Bullseye, between range and rest of shop. But it does not have a door separating it from the lobby.
    I think it's painfully loud when jackweeds don't pay attention and exit in a lull. Esp when some Bona Vista Commando is blazing away with his POS AR.

As a shooter, one is supposed to pay attention to their surroundings. If you see somebody leaving, might also be cool to stop shooting and give them time to leave.
    Do understand being between partitions and maybe not seeing. But one can hear who has stopped and still watch behind, try to be polite.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I rarely shoot indoors, because of the safety issue with regard to the general populace.
    But Bullseye has a bow rack, and it's a few feet from the entry to the range prep room.
    I won't go to look at a bow, until I've checked their cameras to see who/what is on the range.

Never understood the joy of shooting AR's indoors at a max of 25 yds. Some guys do it weekly.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe the other folks with .22rf thought a Savage 99 was also a .22rf?
    Only rig I had on the bench, plain view.
    I had all day, so really didn't care......about time.
    It was the lack of even trying to look around, be aware and protect their damn ears.
    There were other shooters at longer D just down the way.....heck I thought their gear was loud from where I was.

Top Bottom