• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilsonshawn51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    A silly question to me but while my fiancé and I were out to dinner with her family (mom, step dad, grandma and grandpa) grandpa saw a man open carrying his weapon. He got all pissed off saying how stupid it was, "what is someone gonna rob the cash register?" And not seeing the point. I kept quite for the sake of not having an argument because I carry everywhere I am allowed to carry for the protection of myself and anyone I am with. I don't see a reason past that right there but it posed the question "why do you carry?"

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think the better question is why didn't you stand up for your beliefs? You can have a discussion without having an argument. I have had civil discussions with a lot of people about carrying and why I do, often because I open carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If asked that question, my standard response has always been something like: "Because I watch the news and understand that, despite their best efforts to avoid them, sometimes good people are targeted by violent criminals.". If pressed, I'll just add that "I love my family, neighbors and friends. If people I love are threatened, I want to have a credible means of stopping the threat". I won't argue with an idiot, but if the person is curious for more info, I'll discuss it in more depth. If they want to argue, I'll change the subject and move on.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Personally, I carry because I am responsible for my safety and the safety of my family. I've spent many years learning various ways to protect myself and my loved ones -- everything from learning what areas to avoid at what times of the day, all the way to effective use of force -- if necessary. I'm a grown-ass man; I have a responsibility to take care of those that can't take care of themselves. That's not just protecting them from thieves and crooks, but also helping them emotionally and physically when needed.

I don't believe you can really help or protect anyone just by walking around with a gun. You need to understand what pulling that trigger will do to you and those around you, and you need to be prepared for the emotional and legal fight after.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A silly question to me but while my fiancé and I were out to dinner with her family (mom, step dad, grandma and grandpa) grandpa saw a man open carrying his weapon. He got all pissed off saying how stupid it was, "what is someone gonna rob the cash register?" And not seeing the point. I kept quite for the sake of not having an argument because I carry everywhere

Wil, understand that some people get upset when they see people bearing arms because it is a manifestation of the world not being as they wish it.

When reality intrudes people get upset that their worldview is wrong. While most of opposition of bearing arms is based on racism/elitism, a chunk of it is escapism/fantasy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I carry because the police cant be everywhere. I also own multiple fire extinguishers, and am heavily insured against an untimely death. I prepare for the worst and have the tools I need for the job no matter the situation.

And I understand why the OP kept quiet. Sometimes its not worth the strife. I am in the same boat with my SiL. I know that no matter what I say, I'm not going to change her mind. And bringing it up only leaves butthurt all around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A silly question to me but while my fiancé and I were out to dinner with her family (mom, step dad, grandma and grandpa) grandpa saw a man open carrying his weapon. He got all pissed off saying how stupid it was, "what is someone gonna rob the cash register?" And not seeing the point. I kept quite for the sake of not having an argument because I carry everywhere I am allowed to carry for the protection of myself and anyone I am with. I don't see a reason past that right there but it posed the question "why do you carry?"

People rob "cash registers" quite often. It's a fairly common news story. Like others have said I carry to protect my loved ones should my SA fail me or I find myself (includes family) in situations that surprised me. It's not likely to happen. I'll probably win the Powerball several times before I find myself in a mall shooting or home invasion. But home fires are rare too and I keep fire extinguishers around too for the same reason -- insurance.

Wilsonshawn51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I think the better question is why didn't you stand up for your beliefs? You can have a discussion without having an argument. I have had civil discussions with a lot of people about carrying and why I do, often because I open carry.

I did not "stand up for my beliefs" because there was no need. I will continue to carry regardless of his beliefs or anyone else's. I have my own beliefs and not to mention my RIGHTS that allow me to carry.

Wilsonshawn51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I carry because the police cant be everywhere. I also own multiple fire extinguishers, and am heavily insured against an untimely death. I prepare for the worst and have the tools I need for the job no matter the situation.

And I understand why the OP kept quiet. Sometimes its not worth the strife. I am in the same boat with my SiL. I know that no matter what I say, I'm not going to change her mind. And bringing it up only leaves butthurt all around.

Exactly thank you!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Personally, I carry because I am responsible for my safety and the safety of my family. I've spent many years learning various ways to protect myself and my loved ones -- everything from learning what areas to avoid at what times of the day, all the way to effective use of force -- if necessary. I'm a grown-ass man; I have a responsibility to take care of those that can't take care of themselves. That's not just protecting them from thieves and crooks, but also helping them emotionally and physically when needed.

I don't believe you can really help or protect anyone just by walking around with a gun. You need to understand what pulling that trigger will do to you and those around you, and you need to be prepared for the emotional and legal fight after.

This!

'cause it is cool!

And this.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you are guy, because you have a small....

If you are gal, because of ***** envy.

Just ask Freudian sympathizers.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...grandpa saw a man open carrying his weapon. He got all pissed off saying how stupid it was, "what is someone gonna rob the cash register?"

"Well, probably not until that guy leaves." ;)

Sometimes, there's no need to actually argue. Just answer their silly hypothetical directly and let them stew silently, wishing they could somehow retract what they already blurted out there.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Why do we have life/car insurance? Why do we have fire extinguisher around establishments? Unless one can see the future, it's better to have a firearm that you've trained with and not needing it than not having one when you need it.

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    Because I have two young kids and it would kill me if something happened to them that I could have prevented but wasn't prepared to do so. Crime seems to be spreading to even the best parts of a town and better safe than sorry. As I write this I just remembered that I left my EDC at my parents house in Kentucky in my rush to get the kids out the door ahead of rush hour traffic...thankfully have a couple back-ups.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    1 good reason to carry is because crime is actually going down as carry permits rise.

Top Bottom