• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Posting here as I wasn't sure where else it fit, Mods should move it's there's a better home for it. Anyway, on with my question. I'm wanting to get my son a .177 pellet gun for christmas this year. Earlier this year, I got him a Red Rider BB gun, and while he enjoys shooting it in the back yard, being a smooth bore barrel it's not accurate past 20 feet. I've got a large barn that he shots against, and I'll make him a new back stop just to make sure (guessing 3/4" plywood should stop them readily). I'm looking for something rifled, that we can put a scope on. He's like me, and enjoys challenging himself by trying to get further and further out. With all that being said, here's what I'm looking for: .177 pellet, single pump or CO2, rifled barrel, rail for scope, sub $140. I'm not expecting a high end target rifle, just something he can practice with in the back yard at more than 20 feet. With my newest purchase, he wants to be able to practice prone shooting, so something capable of mounting a bi-pod on would be a benefit. I'm open to a second hand rifle, as long as it's in good condition (it's a christmas gift after all), so if you happen to have one you're not shooting, and would recommend it for an 11 yo, PM me.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    My experience with CO2 guns is that as the cartridge looses gas it changes the way the pellet shoots. Not good for keeping a standard shooting pattern.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk Elite a couple of years ago at Wallyworld. Less than 1 Ben, and it includes a 4x scope. With the 10 gr pellets I get groups around .5" at 25 yards from the bench, and can hit my 4" 50yd steel most of the time offhand. However, it does that some effort to cock and I don't see any way to mount a bipod because of the break barrel.

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    I have a Gamo 1000 .177 pellet rifle that I bought at Walmart a couple of years ago. It is accurate. It does take some effort to cock it as it is a beak barrel model. It is worth the money spent.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Nothing teaches ballistics, patience, and importance of shot placement like a 10 Pump Daisy.

Although take my words of caution... Your bio says Indy and I'm pretty sure air gun shooting is verboten in city limits (meaning all of Marion county) unless preemption changed that... that and some break barrels can shoot supersonic especially if over oiled which will cause the oil in the barrel to diesel and make one hell of a crack.

Where I live I don't have airgun restriction, however I once tried to dispatch a chipmunk with my 1000 fps Crossman after recently cleaning and oiling it... it was so loud my ears rang.

Keep the FPS to high 800's or less for anywhere near Indy. You don't want to risk ricochet or a shots fired call.

Double up the plywood by having a separate piece the target goes on, as one layer won't last long if the target is directly on the plywood.

Here's an example of air gun diesel effect... notice the smoke... airgun's are not supposed to smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ioCYR-450

Last edited:

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Your bio says Indy and I'm pretty sure air gun shooting is verboten in city limits (meaning all of Marion county) unless preemption changed that.

CERTAINLY not trying to be contradictory, but do you have any links pointing to that? I was aware of a firearm discharge ban, but not pellet/BB. For that matter, my daughter has been practicing her bow in the back yard for about 3 years now, not in any way saying it makes it right, just that I wasn't aware of it. The force required by a break barrel is one reason I am considering CO2, as I'd hate to get him something that he can't cock on his own. He's fine with his red ryder, but that's only spring force. Thanks again for all the info and pointers so far.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Take a hard look at the Daisy Avanti 853. It doesn't shoot fast, but the accuracy will make the shooter the weakest link for a long time. I used one while training for matches in the National Guard.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    South of $140.00 will be Chinese made, not knocking these rifles, get the best deal on a Springer (as stated earlier, cocking a springer takes efforts, so maybe too much for a 11yo). Ruger, Gamo, Winchester, Stoeger, etc mostly likely made in the same ChiCom factory.

I have a Gamo Shadow 1000, made in Spain, shoots under dime size groups at 10 meters.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I bought a refurbished Ruger pellet gun. 117 cal but they make 22's as well. I as a little over $100 shipped. Came with a scope and all. Works great, one pump is all it allows but it will rip through a can or take rabbits and squirrels with ease. Not sure what a non refurbished one costs but they come up often enough. Mine never needed further refurbishing and has been great for a couple years now.
    main.php

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Gamo CFX

My .177 version. I personally replaced the spring five years ago:
    Gamo_CFX_177.jpg

My .22 version, this time with the spring replaced with a gas ram:
    Gamo_CFX_22-1.jpg

The version of these that Gamo makes now is a bit different, but they're still underlever guns that make keeping your zero easier than with a break barrel version.
    They both also are quite powerful, but they still keep the pellets moving just below the sound barrier, which is critical for accuracy with an air rifle because of transonic turbulence from sending pellets above that speed, so don't get caught up in getting the quickest air gun out there because you'll find out that you won't be able to get anywhere near the accuracy you should if you go supersonic.
    Also, spring piston airguns require a dedication to shooting technique that you don't use with conventional firearms or with the CO2 or pump airguns because of the vibration of the spring and the double recoil it induces.
    The only way to shoot accurately with a spring piston airgun is to hold it lightly to allow it to recoil freely, what many airgun shooters call the "artillery hold."
    Also, you need to be sure that you don't use a scope without double braced lenses and you'll need a very sturdy mounting system because of the whiplash recoil.
    Believe it or not, before most of the scope manufacturers redesigned their scopes to have the lenses securely mounted and double braced, there were many instances of even very expensive scopes used on heavy recoiling centerfire rifles getting destroyed when mounted on spring piston airguns.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I highly recommend the QB78/QB79 rifles. The only difference between the 2 is the type of CO2 supply they use. The 78 uses standard 12 gram cartridges, but there are tons of aftermarket options to allow refillable versions. The QB79 uses something akin to a very small paintball tank, but it is getting tough to find ones with a small enough diameter to fit without monkeying with adapters. In the airgun world, these are akin to the Ruger 10/22, in that there is a very large range of aftermarket accessories and tuners available. They can be made to be very accurate, especially considering the price.. 1/2" at 30 feet is very easy, one hole capable with not that much work.

Airgun depot is having a black friday sale so you may want to check them out. Also check out some of the airgun forums where these are discussed quite a bit.
    --Rick

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    One thing to keep in mind, CO2 is temperature sensitive. The colder the temperature the lower the velocity and number of shots from each CO2. Considering your son is 11 years old, I would stay away from the break barrel guns, he might not be able to cock them. Also they take a lot of practice and a break-in period to be accurate, not to mention mastering the artillery hold. If it were me I would start him off on a multi pump rifle. Check out Midway USA....I bought quite a few air rifles fron them at real good prices.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One thing to keep in mind, CO2 is temperature sensitive. The colder the temperature the lower the velocity and number of shots from each CO2. Considering your son is 11 years old, I would stay away from the break barrel guns, he might not be able to cock them. Also they take a lot of practice and a break-in period to be accurate, not to mention mastering the artillery hold. If it were me I would start him off on a multi pump rifle. Check out Midway USA....I bought quite a few air rifles fron them at real good prices.

That's some good advice.
    A really good choice in that category is the Crosman 2100 Classic, which will send pellets out at just under 800 FPS, which is plenty.
    I killed scores of starlings and House sparrows with one of those when I was a kid.
    They're affordable, somewhere below $70 or less, and they're made in USA, another bonus.

Jeremy032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2014
    La Porte
    Look at a "Hatsan 95"' it's great quality with a Turkish walnut stock and German steel internals and barrel. Pyramid Air sells them
    for around $159 or so.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I bought a Ruger Impact a few years ago at Walmart on a whim and use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's a clone of the Diana 34 with a fancy stock. It is accurate and cheap (although, it's a .22). If I were to do it again I would buy the gas ram Yukon instead... and still might just to compare the two if I don't get something nicer.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All REALLY good info so far, thanks guys. I do have a question on the pump air rifles (having never owned one), does is have some kind of vent off if it's over pumped? I see the QB78 at midway is going for $100, and the 2100 is $77 with a scope (scope really isn't a selling point, several older ones here I could put on it). I'm partial to the QB78 just because I like bolt guns, but not having to buy CO2 cartridges is a good plus for the 2100... Anyone have an argument to swing me one way or the other?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Mine will vent off any excess (over one) pump.

I have had CO2 rifles and pistols, they can get expensive if you start shooting lots and lots.

I prefer the pump rifles. You do need to oil the piston's felt or o-ring now and the but it is easy to do and shown in the manuals. Nothing that needs constant maintenance and the air it compresses is free.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Mine will vent off any excess (over one) pump.

I have had CO2 rifles and pistols, they can get expensive if you start shooting lots and lots.

I prefer the pump rifles. You do need to oil the piston's felt or o-ring now and the but it is easy to do and shown in the manuals. Nothing that needs constant maintenance and the air it compresses is free.

Good point, found this online @ Walley-World for the Crossmann.

Top Bottom