• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, I was at Rural King looking to pick up and gun and asked a question about something on the 4473. The salesperson said they couldn't help me because it was against federal law. I said, you can't explain what something means? They said that was correct, answering a question about the form was against the law. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I tried doing some internet searches, but didn't really find anything saying whether this was correct, or not. I know that other places I've purchased guns have answered questions when I was confused about something. That just doesn't make any sense to me. Is that really the law?

EDIT: Wasn't sure where the heck to put this. Hopefully this is the right forum or a mod can move it if not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Probably not.

Rather, they've probably been told not to help people answer the questions because that would nominally be legal advice. So, if the answer the clerk gives is wrong (which is probably a safe bet), the business might be liable.

That's my best guess. For whatever that's worth.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's along the lines of what I expected. The sales person said they've sold guns for years, first at Walmart and then at Rural King and both places have trained them the same way. I was guessing it was a business decision and not a actual law, but was hoping someone might know for sure.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    4473 generates a lot myths, at a LGS the clerk informed that I had pick more than one Race and that would cause delay. Not kidding! Of course I was approved without any delay, the clerk went about huffing about how it had always happened before.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Probably not.

Rather, they've probably been told not to help people answer the questions because that would nominally be legal advice. So, if the answer the clerk gives is wrong (which is probably a safe bet), the business might be liable.

That's my best guess. For whatever that's worth.

This seems logical. I've never had anybody actually refuse to help clarify any confusion. Now, I've had them be about as confused as I was a couple of times but they didn't refuse to try to help.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    My local rural king I usually don't ask for help from, I do however give them advice as to why they shouldn't point a firearm at me...no matter if it's loaded or not. I've moved my hand towards my holster a couple of times, all good now, that guy doesn't work the "Gun Barn" anymore

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    She was wrong, she can't tell you how to answer a guestion but she can clairify the question. She is new and I will advise her as to what she can and can' t help with when I work with her next time latter this week. Sorry for the trouble, as I said she is new and is still learning.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Providing clarification concerning questions on a federally mandated form is a felony. Sounds dumb, but would it really surprise anyone?

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    It's a 2 part question, Ethnicity and Race.

You can be hispanic and white, non hispanic and white, hispanic and asian, etc.

But it is a 2 part question and both parts need to be answerd

This is true, I was very confused by this the first time I filled one out. I have to check hispanic and white

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    as I tell people when they fill out the form, "if you have any questions stop and ask, I cant tell you the answer, but I can point you in the right direction on the form, to get the info that you need to answer the question",

the waste of tax payer money on the 4473 is bs! of the form, 3 pages are filled out, and the rest(another 3 pages) are instructions on how to fill the form out!

ie the question "have you ever been convicted of a crime of misdemeanor domestic violence?", then sends you to page 4 to tell you that it's against the law for you to purchase the firearm if you've been convicted, then in another paragraph defines what domestic violence is.

waste of money!, plus add to the fact that they're throwing away all the existing 4473's and printing new ones for the "marijuana question rephrasing" and the sex vs gender rephrasing

Top Bottom