• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I was thinking of paying for training for my wife as a gift. I don't think there would be a down side to it? And I think we could make a weekend get a way out of it as well.

Anyone see a down side to doing this? She has the right mindset but I think most anyone could benefit from training.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, part of a getaway. For additional "insurance" make it a class you can attend as a couple that she will benefit from even if you dont as much. make it a date and make a day of it.

But just shipping her off alone for the day to do something YOU like to do has a 50/50 shot of working out well.

But its still better than buying her a vacuum.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yes, part of a getaway. For additional "insurance" make it a class you can attend as a couple that she will benefit from even if you dont as much. make it a date and make a day of it.

But just shipping her off alone for the day to do something YOU like to do has a 50/50 shot of working out well.

It would be a two day course I would go with her as well, it would take a fair bit of preparation to pull it off. But I think she would benefit from it as well as enjoying it.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Obviously you know your wife better than this forum.....unless this group is ALOT more welcoming than I thought. Seriously though, it sounds like a cool idea if she's open to that much range and classroom time. Unfortunately, I haven't converted my wife yet.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Questions to ask yourself: Can we afford it and the get away on our budget? Do I have childcare for the weekend? (if you have children, or pets or elderly parents you care for) Will my wife be able to take off work? (if she works weekends) If this is a gift that you think your wife will like and won't add stress to her by the a fore mentioned questions, then Merry Christmas to you both. If you answered no to any of those questions than if you can figure out how to turn that no into a yes, again Merry Christmas to you both.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Questions to ask yourself: Can we afford it and the get away on our budget? Do I have childcare for the weekend? (if you have children, or pets or elderly parents you care for) Will my wife be able to take off work? (if she works weekends) If this is a gift that you think your wife will like and won't add stress to her by the a fore mentioned questions, then Merry Christmas to you both. If you answered no to any of those questions than if you can figure out how to turn that no into a yes, again Merry Christmas to you both.

I travel a LOT for work so frequent flier miles and Marriott rewards would pay transportation and lodging.

Our only challenge would be finding someone to house sit and take care of the livestock.

My only other concern would be other people taking the class, since its an entry level class I would think everyone would be at about the same skill level. From what I can tell they are focussed on providing real world skills. We have done Appleseed and we both enjoyed it.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I think you might on the right track. I am coming up on our 28th anniversary. As time goes by, gifts for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, etc. become a bit challenging to stay fresh and relevant. I have made my share of mistakes in our life together. Yes, I even bought a vacuum for her once. I prefaced it by telling her it was, under no circumstances, to be considered a gift. (It was a Dyson, by the way.) Your idea has potential. Good luck!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As long as she enjoys shooting to begin with, I see no downside at all, as long as you go with her, as you said you're intending to do.
    In fact, this looks like a bonding experience, which can only enhance your most critical relationship.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I got my wife, son, daughter in law and myself a 1 day pistol class with John McPhee as a gift. They all enjoyed it, and they want to do it again. That said, I think I got lucky with McPhee... I had never trained with him but he is an excellent instructor and the material was perfect for all. I don't think a James Yeager class would have went over as well... actually, I took McPhee's carbine class the next day and She wouldn't have been interested in that class.

Here's her AAR from the class: https://www.sobmanswag.com/blogs/knob-creek-ky/44603073-knob-creek-west-point-ky-pistol-course-aar

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My husband and I were going to take a class, and he had me cancel it due to finances at the time. THAT made me mad! I think it is a very nice gift, as long as all of the stuff mentioned in previous posts works out. I would enjoy it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I bought my wife a vacuum for Christmas in 2010 according to FaceBook. That thing really sucks!

We've also done a MUC class from Paladin Combatives.

I bought her a replacement mini-food processor for Christmas this year.

Takes all kinds.

I don't know why I'm typing in this style and manner this morning.

Top Bottom