• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I saw that same article this morning, and was happy for the folks at Magpul. Don't know if it will bring down the price of the mags for us working stiffs, but if it does, so much the better.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I believe PSA is almost giving them away with purchase of 500 or 1000 rounds of 223 ammo. I figure I paid like 5 bucks each when I bought 1000 rounds of ammo earlier this year.

I'm sad they're using PMAGs. I really like the metal ones(I like historic stuff...just me). Just bought the PMAGs assuming Hillary would win and tell me I didn't deserve to own them.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think we're getting the economics wrong.

1) demand is now higher = higher prices

2) the perception that the Marines now use them will drive the price higher due to demand from sources that would have gone with GI steel or aluminum.

3) there could be periods of supply glut due to over runs and such that will give opportunities for lower prices

4) GI steel mags will now be dirt cheap :rockwoot:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think we're getting the economics wrong.

1) demand is now higher = higher prices

2) the perception that the Marines now use them will drive the price higher due to demand from sources that would have gone with GI steel or aluminum.

3) there could be periods of supply glut due to over runs and such that will give opportunities for lower prices

4) GI steel mags will now be dirt cheap :rockwoot:
    There's a huge supply glut now, if you have the coin to buy 3K mags, you can get'em real cheap!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    But how long will it actually be implemented? We've heard things like this before and sometimes it takes a while to get it going or it doesn't happen at all.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I hope that brings down the cost of surplus GI mags.

I've got down to 2 Gen2 Pmags from 20.

I now have mostly half and half GI and Lancer mags with few Thermold 20 rounders mixed in.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's the big deal??? How are the PMags any better than the USGI regular steel/alum mags???

The USMC is transitioning to the same ammunition the US Army is using. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...demands-army-marine-corps-standardize-rounds/

From someone that seems to know what's going on:

We already have the new style magazines in inventory to support the use of M855A1 in our weapons in the warehouses and armories here at Lejuene, they just have not been disseminated out for individual issue at the unit level yet. Personally, I'm taking that as a pretty big clue that we are going to end up with M855A1 at some point in the future, The Brown follower "Brownell's" magazines have not been ordered for a while now, and supposedly these new brown bodied with a blue follower magazines are needed to fix some sort of feed ramp issue with the M855A1 and our M4 carbines. We still have a pretty good supply of M855 here in the ASP for training purposes..... but supposedly in order to keep units at the training level specified by the Training and Readiness manual we have been burning up war stocks now for a few years.

So, apparently, the USGI mag the USMC is using has compatibility issues with the incoming ammunition.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    But will they sell the surplus mags, continue to use them, or scrap them?
    .gov hasnt sold surplus mags in a bit, they're not a surplus item, they're an expendable. There should be no surplus on an expendable item, it's one for one replacement, then off to the trash bin.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    PSA has new aluminum mags on sale for $5.99. Thats crazy.

I bought some at that price months ago. Saw them at a higher price and scratched my head over it. Think I bought 5 or something back last time they were that cheap. Then promptly traded them to my brother for the old 20s I gave him years ago.(I like the 20s).

Top Bottom