• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I remember this the one time I actually purchased a handgun in there, and was reminded again tonight when I was just browsing.

So the Rural King property in Terre Haute butts up against an elementary school on the back side.

A lady was going to purchase a rifle as a christmas present and the guy behind the counter tells her:

"Well just so you know, since were right next to a school zone you're required to take this out of the store in a locked hard case, and this gun doesn't come in a hard case so you will have to buy one to take it out in, OR go home and get your own. Once you get it in your car you can just take it out and bring the case back in for a refund".

I've looked and am 100% convinced this is a bogus thing made up by the store, or the corporation. So has anyone ever heard of this before?

I don't even know how they can get away with it. It's almost like forcing someone to buy something they don't need, and of course they have a TON of plastic hard cases right there too ;)

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question.................How did they get the Zoning to put a gun counter in that store.
    Question.................How did they not know the laws involved.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    At that very store, the Clerk Accused me of being from Illinois and he needed to see my FOID Card before I could see a hand gun in the case. I Informed him that I Never have been accused of being from Illinois and that I was Insulted. ;)

He Apologized But I didn't Buy a gun there. RK is Headquartered in Illinois and they seem to base their store policies on Illinois law :rolleyes:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Was in the Rural King in Jeffersonville yesterday. The sign said it was an ATF requirement that all guns leave the store in a locked case.

I really wanted to challenge the manager about it, it would be wasted time.

Don

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was in the Rural King in Jeffersonville yesterday. The sign said it was an ATF requirement that all guns leave the store in a locked case.

I really wanted to challenge the manager about it, it would be wasted time.

Don

That is a blatant lie and should be challenged at some level.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gotta be something the idiot salesperson made up on the spot to sound important and likely convinced the store was accurate (which they will believe anything as they are litigious adverse). Probably trying to get a power kick out of the "little lady" he was waiting on at the counter. I get really angry that those types, thinking women are dumb or something. People can talk about how "mansplaining" isn't a thing.... let me assure you, go to a gunstore and listen how they talk to women.

I swear, big box stores seem to hire nothing but Fudd rustics that won't sell you an AR, idiot kids that claimed they were in "the sandbox" that I wouldn't trust with a Nerf gun, let alone the M249 he claimed he carried WITH his M4 as well (so.... you weren't REALLY in the mil, were you kid?) or guys that want to sound like they're saying something interesting and cool, but completely off base (Oh...well, Rock Island uses ACTUAL COLT machinery to make their 1911s...).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    DOn't buy a gun there.

+1. Our RK won't even remove the trigger guard lock so you can check out the trigger. I asked the guy how I am supposed to know if I like it if I can't check the trigger. He said to check it out at another gun shop.

What is up with these people? I find comparable or better prices on firearms elsewhere so what would motivate me to buy from them?

I don't even bother going there anymore.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Last time I was in the Jeffersonville RK, it was way too close to a walmart experience for me, was very happy to get outta there. As far as the hard case rule, the Clarksville gun triangle (2shops and a range) is completely located within 1000' of a school, and there are no hard case requirements.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Guys I can tell you this not some evil trick Rural King made up to sell cases. We have to do this at Martinsville also. I myself have talked to the atf agent in charge of our stores and she has stated that we have to do this. We, ie Rural king corp as well as the employee's don't like it any better than you do. If you have a problem with it contact the atf! Rural King still has some of the best prices on guns around so what if you have to spend a few bucks more to make the atf happy? Either bring in your own case of return the one you have to buy. It's not rocket science.

Please don't accuse employee's or Rural King of crap like making it up for you to spend more money buying a case. Look we all know it's bull crap that we have to do it but we either do it or lose our ffl according to the atf.

Have a merry Christmas!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Guys I can tell you this not some evil trick Rural King made up to sell cases. We have to do this at Martinsville also. I myself have talked to the atf agent in charge of our stores and she has stated that we have to do this. We, ie Rural king corp as well as the employee's don't like it any better than you do. If you have a problem with it contact the atf! Rural King still has some of the best prices on guns around so what if you have to spend a few bucks more to make the atf happy? Either bring in your own case of return the one you have to buy. It's not rocket science.

Please don't accuse employee's or Rural King of crap like making it up for you to spend more money buying a case. Look we all know it's bull crap that we have to do it but we either do it or lose our ffl according to the atf.

Have a merry Christmas!
    So the ATF is lying to you?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've happened to witness a couple of gun purchases and have a friend who bought a gun at the RK in Greenwood. None of them were required to buy a case to take the gun out of the store. The gun prices I've seen at RK are better than any others I've seen so, if I go there intending to buy a gun, I'll simply take a case and a lock in case I run afoul of this.

I'll just consider this a heads up. It's not a big deal unless you are a member of the perpetually-offended brigade. :dunno:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis

Have a merry Christmas!
    The GFSZA is such a crock. So not just the school, but the grounds and 1000' around them. So RK would be operating under one of the exceptions. And once they transfer it to you, you need to fall under one of the exceptions too.... which is "unloaded in a locked container". So, if the ATF / police wanted to be real pricks they could just hang out in RK and wait for some fool to open carry and arrest them.

However, if you actually read the exceptions there's this one line "on private property not part of school grounds". I'm pretty sure RK's property is "private property". This means the 1000' rule only apples to public land adjacent to, but not owned or controlled by the school.

Last edited:

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette

Have a merry Christmas!

This should be interesting ...

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've happened to witness a couple of gun purchases and have a friend who bought a gun at the RK in Greenwood. None of them were required to buy a case to take the gun out of the store. The gun prices I've seen at RK are better than any others I've seen so, if I go there intending to buy a gun, I'll simply take a case and a lock in case I run afoul of this.

I'll just consider this a heads up. It's not a big deal unless you are a member of the perpetually-offended brigade. :dunno:
    I think you missed the statement about the particular store being within the boundary of the "school zone". I'm sure not all RKs are.

Top Bottom