Trigger Locks In Gun Stores - Won't Remove Them...Is This New?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Over the Christmas break my son and I decided to browse through some local stores and look at firearms (big shock). At Bass Pro in Clarksville we asked to look at a hand gun from the case. My son is looking to buy and asked if they could remove the trigger guard so he could feel the trigger and work the action. "Can't do it" says the salesman. "Why" says my son, "I'm not buying a handgun I can't feel the action and trigger...?" "Corporate Policy" says the salesman and so we leave.

A few days later we waltz into Dunhams in Bedford - long story short - same answer.

Now, I realize these aren't "real" gun stores, but are all the "sells everything" stores going this way? Would like to hear some gun shop owners chime in on why this is a trend and is everyone going to do this.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I asked the same question in Dunham's a few months back. They asked for my drivers license. They wanted to hold it until I replaced the pistol, or returned it to the counter. The counter person was a college-age girl, clearly not familiar with weapons, so I did not pursue the conversation. I just explained I would not consider purchasing something I could not test properly.

Gander Mountain is a better option. My last visit there was very customer-friendly. No trigger locks; no hassle; just friendly conversation about the pistol. I know, GM is the incarnation of evil for many folks, but it is far better than Dick's or Dunham's.

ZX is better, of course, and so is Tomlinsons. No trigger guards at either one.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Yeah, probably same girl at Dunhams, same speech. No problem handing over ID to look over a hand gun, but they still wouldn't remove the trigger lock.

Is this a new trend? Are gun stores being forced to go this way? Is this another way to curb gun sales?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not new. Corporate policy of many big box stores. Vote with your feet is the best you can do. Dunhams has had that requirement since the early 90s when I worked the gun counter there.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Not new. Corporate policy of many big box stores. Vote with your feet is the best you can do. Dunhams has had that requirement since the early 90s when I worked the gun counter there.

Holy Crap! Really? What about Bass Pro, that has to be fairly recent.

So...why? I felt like telling the guy at the counter at Bass Pro, "You know what doesn't have a trigger lock? The one on my hip just under my hoodie."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's been that way at Dunham's a long time. I went to the store in Crawfordsville with the intent of buying one of the Remington economy models in .308. They wouldn't let me dry fire it to feel the trigger. It cost them the sale and any future business I might have given them otherwise.

I can see why stores won't let you dryfire some rimfires, but not allowing a customer to test a trigger on a centerfire rifle or pistol before buying it is retarded. I won't buy from anyone who won't allow at least one or two dry fires.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Big R in Michigan City said no way on the LCRx3 inch...I left and traded for one at a gun show. If they don't take the lock off and anything more than seeing my licence I'm out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I rarely go to a big box type store any more. ZX is always happy to remove anything on the gun leftover from gun shows that might be on the pistol/revolver. I don't go through dry firing every gun they have. They know if I look at one I have some interest in buying it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    When I asked at Rural King, I was told that at one of their locations at some time in the past, a person had asked to see a pistol, loaded it with a round out of his pocket and committed suicide so corporate policy is the lock/ziptie, etc., stays on.

Even after a purchase, a salesperson holds the package and walks you to the exit before handing it over....and yes, the personnel I've talked to understand how silly the policy is.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    When I asked at Rural King, I was told that at one of their locations at some time in the past, a person had asked to see a pistol, loaded it with a round out of his pocket and committed suicide so corporate policy is the lock/ziptie, etc., stays on.

Even after a purchase, a salesperson holds the package and walks you to the exit before handing it over....and yes, the personnel I've talked to understand how silly the policy is.

Death hack #1...

Gun Store Owners - where are you on this issue?!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Dicks had the Savage Axis on sale for $299 with scope.
    I went in to buy and they wouldn't take the lock off. I laid cash on the counter and still NO GO.
    I told them I couldn't buy without feeling the action and trigger break.
    Poor clerk, I felt sorry for him about the time I hit the parking lot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dicks had the Savage Axis on sale for $299 with scope.
    I went in to buy and they wouldn't take the lock off. I laid cash on the counter and still NO GO.
    I told them I couldn't buy without feeling the action and trigger break.
    Poor clerk, I felt sorry for him about the time I hit the parking lot.

I didn't lay the cash on the counter, but that's what happened to me too.

Maybe they aren't interested in selling guns to actual shooters?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe if you'd shown them your proficiency with a blade???

Okay, that right there was funny.

I'm making notes about both you, however. PERMANENT NOTES.

I know there are folks from Braddis...Orion...and a few others in here - what say ye? What is all this?

I've only been in one "real" gun shop where dry fire was not allowed (it was in Cicero, no longer in business). I always ask before I do it, though, just in case.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've only been in one "real" gun shop where dry fire was not allowed (it was in Cicero, no longer in business). I always ask before I do it, though, just in case.

Ah, Wyatt's.... wonder if Miles..... eh, nevermind.

I did buy my first 1911 there, and a few other platforms. Honestly, the "old" store had a better feel.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you have to buy the gun in order for them to remove the lock?
    Or do they even keep you from removing the lock in the store and just give you the key from where you get home? :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay, that right there was funny.

I'm making notes about both you, however. PERMANENT NOTES.

Would that be like the "permanent notes" I was constantly threatened with in elementary school?
    Cause it didn't make much a difference when I was a wee lad, much less now.

Top Bottom