• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Looking for a new safe. Need something that won't allow someone in that isn't supposed to be in there. Had a break in and the John Deere/ Liberty safe didn't hold up. Any and all insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Looks like they have quite a number and variety of safes under the Deere-Liberty label. Can you provide more details about which safe failed--I would like to know if some of us are more at risk than we might believe. Thanks.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am very happy with my Johnson safes.

Jeff has even made (free of charge) modifications to my safes (additional shelving, hooks, etc.).

Free delivery and you can check him out at the Indy1500 gun show in a couple of weeks.

Johnson Safe

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Adding a monitored alarm system will help. Remember any safe is just delaying the thief if they really want in. Combining with a monitored alarm system where they now have to open it, or steal it, under time pressure makes a safe...safer.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I too am interested in more details on the failure of the safe. Was it bolted down? did the thieves have a long time to work on it? I agree about the monitored alarm system. Siren going off will make one move faster.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Adding a monitored alarm system will help. Remember any safe is just delaying the thief if they really want in. Combining with a monitored alarm system where they now have to open it, or steal it, under time pressure makes a safe...safer.

This is excellent advice, given enough time burglars can break into any safe.

Aggar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    It was an hd 48 I believe. They broke the top bolt out of the door and bent the ones on the side of the door.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Was the safe lying on it's back when you found it? This allows leverage to work with and is why it's important to bolt them down.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do not buy any safe that has not been tested by Underwriters Laboratory.

First, go to the UL website and learn just what their testing and ratings mean! Then you will understand that the most BA safe is still very vulnerable to a concentrated attack.

Second, as posted above, security is layered. A good home alarm system first. Then a safe, properly bolted down. Bushes with thorns around windows and points of entry that you don't want used.

Third, be ready to spend REAL money for REAL security. Because if you just want to "feel" safe you can do that cheap. If you want to "BE" safe it will take real money.

Remember that even though there was a previous attack (my condolences by the way) your primary risk is usually fire. Make certain the safe us UL tested and if you live out in the stix you will need a higher protection as the FD will take longer to respond.

My big push for getting a safe that is UL tested is because their standards are objective. They do not care where you spend your money. They are experts at knowing exactly how to break into a safe and where the weak points are, and they DO try to breach the safe they have been given - for real! They don't play around like the marketing (aka. propaganda) videos the manufacturers put out. Their single, sole objective is to make certain that the product they have been provided with WILL withstand an attack. If it doesn't, it fails. If it does, then it gets their stamp of approval.

If I recall correctly their longest stamp of approval is two (2) hours. That is it. This means that if you are out of town on vacation and the criminal knows what he is doing the probability of a breach nears 100%. This is why the layers of security are so critical. It does you no good to buy a safe that is 30 minute rated if you give him four (4) hours do break in.

Also please don't take my pushing aside of company marketing the wrong way. Every company wants to and needs to place their product in the best light possible. This is only natural, wise and prudent on their part. However, their interests and yours are not necessarily the same.

Here is a link to an olde video of UL testing a TL30 safe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860 This is how hard they go at a safe to test it.

Regards and Best of Luck,

Doug

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    I think the '30 minute' or '2hr' rating is a fire rating not a reference to any minimum amount of time for which the safe will exclude a thief. But, yes, layers of security are required. The best layer is a dog, Imho.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think the '30 minute' or '2hr' rating is a fire rating not a reference to any minimum amount of time for which the safe will exclude a thief. But, yes, layers of security are required. The best layer is a dog, Imho.

For theft rating they are. For a TL30 rating means that UL attacked the safe and it kept them out for at least 30 minutes.

You are correct that the fire rating is separate.

This is why a higher rated safe costs boo koo bucks! There is a lot of steel and complicated design involved to thwart a concentrated attack.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom