• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Every year on New Years day we go to my Son in Laws parents. Have a great time of food, family and firearms.

All 3 of the kids are great, however the youngest grandson is my mini me. Proof that I have genetic offspring. Very mechanical, loves to play war, yet kind to a fault.

This year he is 6 and old enough to start learning to handle a pistol.

Took a Walther P22, showed him how to lock, load, and aim. We ended up shooting 150 round or so, he could have gone on all day.

Been waiting for this for awhile. Now we can begin some real training, and when he is older lots of other firearms will be deployed.

Had to share a really good moment.

Don:)::ar15:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Very cool! Nothing more more heartwarming than to see someone pass down their knowledge to their children and grandchildren in a positive way. Even better that it's involving the safe and proper handling of firearms at a young age.

Looks like you're on the right path Grandpa. :yesway:

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Perfect time to start. It's mostly about safety with my little kids, but they have a good time, know how to aim, and have a healthy respect for guns. Why did you start with a handgun instead of a rifle? In 4H I don't think the kids can shoot pistol until they are 10. My own kids started with rifles and I think my oldest got to shoot a handgun at 9, although I think he did get to shoot a revolver or two once with a grandpa before that. I only shot revolvers growing up, and nothing else, because we didn't have anything else, so I don't think it matters all that much what kids start with, I'm just curious why you chose a pistol over other options.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What a great tradition! And what a blessed man you are! God bless you and your grandson, and may you have many, many years of great times together!

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    That is a,great story, been through it with my son but still waiting for grandkids. This is something that is priceless for everyone and glad to see these young kids getting there firearm education started at a young age.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I love taking my three grandkids out to the club and letting them shoot at targets with their Ruger 10/22. It just brings a big smile to my face and sore fingers from loading all them mags.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nice going all you grandpas! I know the feeling well. I have eight grandkids with ages ranging from 7 to 28. We've taken five of them to Crosley at various times and four have been to Colorado or South Dakota prairie doggin' at least twice each. More fun than you might expect.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Congratulations! It is great fun helping them learn this sport. I last did this about 20 years ago. My second son has a country home so can shoot safely in the back yard. I visited when his sons were about 6-8 years old, and carried a 22 rifle, a muzzle loader and an SKS. The eldest grandson was about 8 and the younger 6. We started them with the 22 rifle and went through 50 ~ 75 rounds. Then son and I shot the SKS. The oldest grandson wanted to try it so I loaded one round in the gun and let him fire it after warning him it would kick and hurt his shoulder. He didn't have any problem so let him shoot a few rounds. He loved it! Then the youngest really wanted to shoot it, it is against my thinking to let anyone starting out shooting a caliber that has much recoil as it may make them fear and dislike shooting. However after several minutes of begging (and warnings about the recoil) we decided to let him shoot one round. He shot it, actually pretty accurately. We then asked "do you want to do it again". He rubbed his shoulder a little and responded "not now, I think I'll wait awhile". We had to laugh, but about a year later he was shooting the SKS regularly. Son and I shot the muzzle loader a few times but didn't let the boys shoot it then.
    Both boys are firearm enthusiasts now, only issue is that they like to shoot Dad's ammo! They both have children and I am sure the Great grandchildren will be shooting in a few years.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Good for you and all the people that pass on training to others.

I have been shooting with my Grandkids since they were 4 years old. The oldest turns 8 on Wednesday.

They have shot both the rifles and pistols but prefer pistols the best.
    Right now its mostly about letting them have fun and practice all of the safety procedures.

I let them call shots about what they want to shoot and how long they want to stay. Sometimes we have left after just 30 minutes at the range and other times we have ran out of allotted time or Ammo.

I just picked up another 2,500 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity 22LR rounds yesterday. Midwest Guns have them on sale for $5.99 per 100 round plastic box until Thursday.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    The other grandson is 9, he took his first squirrel with a 410 this last year. He is an avid fisherman.

The granddaughter is 13 ,goes turkey hunting with her dad. She is a natural shot with a bow. She is a Princess with a hard spot inside, like her mom.

They are a joy.

Don

Top Bottom