Bullpup: FN FS2000, Kel-Tec RDB, and IWI Travor. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking to get some input from people who have fired any or all of the below bullpup 5.56 rifles. Tavor, FN F2000, and the Kel-Tec RDB. I'm in the market to purchase one of these because I am a southpaw! Ambidexterity is my primary concerns. That being said, I am aware that the Tavor does require the setup to manually configured while the FN and Kel-Tech do not. But is there anyone out there that has fired all or at least 2 of them to give me a good comparison? I look forward to hearing from my fellow rifle owners.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hi and :welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Because yours is more a question than an introduction, I've moved it here. No big deal, just wanted to make sure you get the answers you want. If you'd like to post a "Hi, I'm joining from Ft. Wayne and I [strike]like long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners[/strike] (wait, no, that's not what you want on INGO.)
    The place you posted is more for a basic hi and general stuff about yourself, but in here is where you'll get better answers to specific firearam questions.

Have a great day, enjoy your time here, and again, :welcome:

Blessings,
    Bill

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have a Tavor, but have never fired the Kel-Tec or FN. I know there are members here who have owned the FN, I'll see if I can track them down. Both cbhausen and tbhausen have Tavors set up for lefties and say the process isn't difficult to do. I'm not sure of the price for the left-handed bolt. Looks like IWI recommends buying a bolt and barrel kit, which is pretty salty.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I've only fired the x95 and it makes me smile, if that is of any help. :)

I bought it after eyeing the MDR for a long time and watching its ongoing saga of not actually coming out. If it ever does, and lives up to its promises, its forward ejection might be the answer to your concerns.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

If you are just looking for a good ambi rifle in 5.56x45, check out the Beretta ARX-100 which switches between left and right hand by the flip of a lever and a push of a button. Faster than it takes to type this.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Awesome replies and good info so far! I shall look into the ARX-100. But I did also have the hidden interest of the bullpup because it doesn't require the SBR license/tax!

Frank_N_Stein, thanks for trying to help track down owners of the FN Kel-Tec for those reviews. I haven't been able to locate a dealer in town to currently have those in stock to at least hold them to get a good feel.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    The fs2000 is an older design and has some problems, so from a functional perspective the Tavor or RDB might be a little better. That being said, I heard somewhere the fs2000 was being discontinued, which may lead them to be more collectible. Plus it's a real head turner.

Welcome to INGO.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Skillet, check out the review Military Arms did on the F2000. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../240527-fnh-weapons-f2000-scar-mk16-mk17.html

You might try to find a gun store that has them both for sale or rent and check them out in person. Being a relatively unique firearms I doubt many INGO members own them. There are several members who own Tavors, some with the SAR, some with the X95, and at least one owns both.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking to get some input from people who have fired any or all of the below bullpup 5.56 rifles. Tavor, FN F2000, and the Kel-Tec RDB. /QUOTE]

I've got the FS2000 with an ACOG and red dot. I had the Kel-Tec RFB in .308. The FS 2000 is reliable, ambidextrous and accurate. Never had any feeding or function issues.

I'm in Ft Wayne so if you want to fondle one or even go shoot it, we could meet up at Roush or somewhere else.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I know you have a list but my I suggest the FN Herstal PS-90. I works well for both lefty or righty, has an interesting magazine system, has a uh unique apperance and will drive any democrat crazy. Some downsides are a 5.7 x 28 round ( and higher cost ), base price ( $1100 or so ) and hard to find. Here is some info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_P90
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Oh Welcome to Ingo

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have the 2000 and tavor. Never shot the kel tec. I like the tavor better than the 2000 but I like the new styer Aug the best. It takes standard mags and just fits me naturally. I like the p90 also but it's in a different class. I'm right handed so can't comment on that. You need to shoot them and see what is the best for you.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the welcoming party everyone. I'm glad I took a buddies advice to join.

Can anyone confirm if the larger magazines will be accepted in the fn or travor? Their respective websites state that they don't. Whereas the Kel-Tec says any ar15 magazine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    give a call to Midwest Gun And Range - 128 Rush Court Elkhart, Indiana 46516 - 574.293.2030.
    They may know where you can test fire them.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks for the welcoming party everyone. I'm glad I took a buddies advice to join.

Can anyone confirm if the larger magazines will be accepted in the fn or travor? Their respective websites state that they don't. Whereas the Kel-Tec says any ar15 magazine.
    What do you mean by "larger magazines"? Both the Tavor SAR and X95 accept standard AR-15 magazines. I have a mix of Magpul polymer and various manufacture steel magazines that I use and have never had an issue.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Like Frank_N_Stein says, I have a an X-95, Flat Dark Earth, in the left-handed configuration (along with a right-handed bolt) so the rifle can be converted back and forth. Only 115 rounds through it so far, 100% reliable so far and a hoot to shoot. Copper Custom in Valpo did the conversion while I waited.

I'm in Indy and yes, I like to share the Tavor goodness so hit me up for a test drive.

And if it comes up for sale in the classifieds here it's only to get the 9mm version, which I could shoot a lot more at my local outdoor range. I'm running out of patience waiting for the caliber conversion kits to show up.

Skillet4630

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Dave Doehrman and cbhausen: prior to my purchase, I may contact you for a test run of the FS2000 and lefty Tavor. That'll make my buying position that much more confident on what I will like.

Frank_N_Stein, I had a buddy of mine at work mention that some of the bullpups, do to their compact setup, might not be able to physically take (not due to the magwell, but no room for) the +30 sized magazines. Unsure if that is true or not.

Top Bottom