Study Claiming Video Games Make Players Better Real-Life Shooters Gets Shot Down

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good time to be a Firearms Trainer. They are going to make a mint un-teaching the crap these kids are learning.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I could see a limited effect as plausible (being less affected by loud noises, less intimidated by guns in general) vs someone who's never held a gun nor played a violent video games. More so if they're using a gun-like game controller but it's shaky at best. Similar studies have happened for driving video games (with a wheel and pedals) and while those players are better at real-life racing than someone who's never raced in a game or real life, they're still a far cry from people that have real racing experience (Note that that goes for realistic racing games like Gran Turismo or Forza, not so much mario-kart).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Someone should tell the DOD. Or not.

ARMA is the same engine as the simulator the DOD (and other national militaries) use: Virtual Battle Space 3 (or maybe 4 by now, been awhile since I was involved in it). While it doesn't necessarily teach "shooting" it can teach the process of combat. Like alluded to above, things like using the scope to deduce range. Shoot, move, shoot, move. Cover v. concealment. Even squad tactics can be taught and learned at a basic level, in a very cost effective way.

There's no substitute for finger on the trigger learning when it comes to shooting. Beyond that, in terms of training the brain, simulators can really help.

Shoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    hoffman estates
    I would say if you have good hand eye cordination and it is improved by playing video games in general it helps you become a better shooter. Just not shooting games in general.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The ONLY thing that could possibly help a gamer shoot better, would be an understanding of sight alignment, and that is probably the easiest element of shooting to teach a new shooter. Gaming could not possibly teach trigger mechanics or control. It could not possibly teach proper grip techniques. It could not possibly help teach recoil management. It could not possibly help a shooter calm all of the nervous reactions throughout the firing sequence. And so on, and so on, and so on...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The ONLY thing that could possibly help a gamer shoot better, would be an understanding of sight alignment, and that is probably the easiest element of shooting to teach a new shooter. Gaming could not possibly teach trigger mechanics or control. It could not possibly teach proper grip techniques. It could not possibly help teach recoil management. It could not possibly help a shooter calm all of the nervous reactions throughout the firing sequence. And so on, and so on, and so on...

They do mention controller type. If one had a controller in the likeness of a firearm there could be an argument for limited improvements depending on the construction.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    They do mention controller type. If one had a controller in the likeness of a firearm there could be an argument for limited improvements depending on the construction.

Oh! Never mind then... Gamers DO make better shooters.

Now I'm off to buy the next Big gaming console with realistic controls so that I can reduce my ammo expenditures, and become a better shooter in the process. GAME ON!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana

"trigger control" is a myth. Grip the gun, keep the sights on target, pull the trigger.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Oh! Never mind then... Gamers DO make better shooters.

Now I'm off to buy the next Big gaming console with realistic controls so that I can reduce my ammo expenditures, and become a better shooter in the process. GAME ON!

Compared to zero training and given the right conditions it could be better to a very limited point. As I mentioned, not as good as the real thing so don't empty your ammo fund yet.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Being a real life shooter (or more correct, schooled in tactics), does make you a better video game player. I'm smoked lots of guys who forgot to check corners, in Halo. Lol

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Someone should tell the DOD. Or not.

ARMA is the same engine as the simulator the DOD (and other national militaries) use: Virtual Battle Space 3 (or maybe 4 by now, been awhile since I was involved in it). While it doesn't necessarily teach "shooting" it can teach the process of combat. Like alluded to above, things like using the scope to deduce range. Shoot, move, shoot, move. Cover v. concealment. Even squad tactics can be taught and learned at a basic level, in a very cost effective way.

There's no substitute for finger on the trigger learning when it comes to shooting. Beyond that, in terms of training the brain, simulators can really help.

I've never used one of those things, outside of the marksmanship trainer. It has some utility, but isn't amazing.

I can tell you the CoD generation sucks at shoot/move/communicate about as much as anyone. The difference is they think they know. That's usually pretty easy to dispel, though.

The real difference is in fitness. All those years on the couch make soft kids. The best recruits are wrestlers.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Wait, you mean Back to the Future lied to me?

56c1ee87d24af_sheldonsfans.jpg

Also, I never noticed that the kid right next to Marty (Michael J. Fox) was Elijah Wood. Who knew?

Top Bottom